Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

Last week, I signed up with TeleNav and I really like it. It is my first experience with GPS, and really handy.

However, I now have some questions:

1. TeleNav relies on my phone to have a signal, which does not help me when I am in the middle of nowhere.

2. TeleNav is $10.00 per month.

My questions are:

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to go with a service that does not use my phone's data plan so it works in more places?

2. Right now, TeleNav is a great deal, with a BT receiver free if you sign up for service. However, after enough $10.00 months, I am wondering if I should get something better up front and have no monthly fees.

TeleNav has a lovely interface and does what it should. However, I would never use it for something like hiking, because it relies completely on my Treo getting a good signal.

Any thoughts/reflections would be greatly appreciated.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    Hi everyone,

Last week, I signed up with TeleNav and I really like it. It is my first experience with GPS, and really handy.

However, I now have some questions:

1. TeleNav relies on my phone to have a signal, which does not help me when I am in the middle of nowhere.

2. TeleNav is $10.00 per month.

My questions are:

1. Wouldn't it make more sense to go with a service that does not use my phone's data plan so it works in more places?

2. Right now, TeleNav is a great deal, with a BT receiver free if you sign up for service. However, after enough $10.00 months, I am wondering if I should get something better up front and have no monthly fees.

TeleNav has a lovely interface and does what it should. However, I would never use it for something like hiking, because it relies completely on my Treo getting a good signal.

Any thoughts/reflections would be greatly appreciated.

Wow I cant believe that you didnt even get chatized for not doing a search I just got Telenav my self, I have had other GPS devices, both stand alone and on my laptop, this is the first I have had with the treo,
    Today wile traveling I had just what you mentioned happen to me, lost the phone siginal and lost the mapping, they could/should do something about that. As for cost just one thing, a few years ago I bought an Eagle Mapguide pro, I paid almost $500 for it as I recall, nice unit it came with extra mapping software you could make your own maps then down load them to the unit, great! It used a searl cable to transfer data, when was the last time you see a computer with a searl port anyway I called them a few months ago to find out if I could get a transfer cable that used USB and a new updated set of maps, of course I expected to pay for them, they informed me that they no longer supported that device, so now I have a $500 GPS that is so out dated it is pittiful, that would take a lot of $10.00 months if you factor in having to buy new maps to stay current, or buy a new GPS unit One other thing, I was also using the Telenav GPS reciever with the maps that you get free from Earthcomber, it acted much like a GPS unit in that it would find your location and move your position as you drive, the maps are updated periodicly so always current, the only thing I did not care for is that it would not track your movments leaving a trail that you could use to backtrack, and as far as I can find it is always N up you can not make it track up.
    I dont know if you already got an answer or not I hope thias helps.
    Terry
    I think the telenav deal for $60 bucks is a steal. Besides you can always just cancel after 6 months and use TomTom or etc exclusively if you want. I personally don't see a negative with ordering the telenav promotion right now even if you do not plan on using it exclusively...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I agree with gfunkmagic about telenav being a good deal at the moment. How good depends on the quality of the GPS receiver you get. I paid about $270 for Tomtom with a SiRF III BT GPS (It would be less expensive now). Had it about a year and expect an upgrade ($$) to the software will be coming soon. I don't like the idea of being dependent on cell service for navigation. I've been many places where that would be useless. However, the concept of continual free updates sounds great. If you are satisfied with the GPS receiver provided, try it for 6-12 months and decide if the navigation service meets your needs. If not, you can always shift to a more traditional nav package.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I agree with gfunkmagic about telenav being a good deal at the moment. How good depends on the quality of the GPS receiver you get. I paid about $270 for Tomtom with a SiRF III BT GPS (It would be less expensive now). Had it about a year and expect an upgrade ($$) to the software will be coming soon. I don't like the idea of being dependent on cell service for navigation. I've been many places where that would be useless. However, the concept of continual free updates sounds great. If you are satisfied with the GPS receiver provided, try it for 6-12 months and decide if the navigation service meets your needs. If not, you can always shift to a more traditional nav package.

jrfaris, the BT receiver you get with the Telenav promotion is the Globalstat 338!! Also, it is not locked to the telenav software, so you can use it with any gps mapping software you like....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    jrfaris, the BT receiver you get with the Telenav promotion is the Globalstat 338!! Also, it is not locked to the telenav software, so you can use it with any gps mapping software you like....
    Today I picked up the delorme SA2006 for hand held and I cannot get the GPS reciever from Telenav to work, you can see the GPS communicating with the soft ward but it will not get a fix, I have tried every combination I can think of but it will not get a fix, also I have had the same problem with geonav and cotoGPS as well, I have no idea what the problem us.
    If any one has any idea let me know
    Thanks
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

Is telenav still running the promotion? I can't find it anywhere on their site.
    elbastardocalvo
    Yeah. They're still running the promotion. The offer appears on the signup screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin2k
    Yeah. They're still running the promotion. The offer appears on the signup screen.
    I just went through the sign-up process right up to inputting credit card information, and saw nothing about the promotion. Am I missing something?
    elbastardocalvo
    Telenav - not as good as TomTom except for the text-to-speech. Telenav's over-all display and interface is not as good and the speaker volume is unusable and doesn't seem to be adjustable. TomTom is fairly well polished, but the lack of text-to-speech is a real weakness.
    I just received my telenav GPS and installed it on my Treo 650. The BT-339 paired with the Treo just fine, software installed fine. When I launch the software, and try to enter an address and hit submit, it reboots the phone. I re-installed the software many times, both to the main system and to the SD card. Tech support has escalated but I have little faith in that! Any one else seeing these issues? I did upgrade my phone to Sprint v1.13a-SPNT.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Man I never had any of those problems with mine (treo 650 latest software update) it worked flawlesly (except for the no phone service deal) from the get go, good luck!
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair
    Today I picked up the delorme SA2006 for hand held and I cannot get the GPS reciever from Telenav to work, you can see the GPS communicating with the soft ward but it will not get a fix, I have tried every combination I can think of but it will not get a fix, also I have had the same problem with geonav and cotoGPS as well, I have no idea what the problem us.
    If any one has any idea let me know
    Thanks
    Terry
    I use DeLorme '06 on my laptop and was able to get my BT Holux 236 working with it using a BT dongle. I was going to order PDA '06 for the 650 but the reviews were horrible so I'm sticking with EC for now.

If you get SA '06 up and running a review would be appreciated.
    I got the telenav system and it works fine. Sometimes it has difficulty finding the gps signal and relaying it to the treo. I usually soft reset the the treo and it works fine.

I have tried to use the BT-339 (that came with the telenav) with vindigo. However, vindigo does not recognise it.