Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    In theory, I shouldn't complain because if there was no Treo700w, there probably wouldn't be a Treo700p. But I still won't be getting this minor pittance of an upgrade...

Like others posted on this thread, they keep moving the important buttons. Um, whatever happened to consistency?

The Handspring Treo 600 had it going on with the on/off button on the top. PalmOne/Palm could have left it there with future Treo models AND kept the T650 green phone and green phone disconnct buttons for the T700p. I guess they didn't want to confuse the customer. Oh, that's right, it's supposed to be a smartphone...how could I be so dumb?!

Then Palm regresses the menu and the home button back to where it was on the Treo 600 days. C'mon, were supposeed the progressing, not regressing! Were they too lazy/cheap to redesign the case for the 700p after dropping the ball with Cobalt OS and after kissing Microsoft's *** with the T700w? Sure looks that way.

Oh, that and they haven't supported Wi-Fi (again) and are still behind the times with limited multitasking and the umpteenth rendition of FrankenGarnet.

Still, I haven't completely given up on Palm. I think the true test of a revolutionary Palm OS/Linux-underpinning OS? Treo will be the device after this one. I'm sitting this one out and still hope they keep the antenna on this baby (looks so endearing) in the future. Thickness of device? Doesn't bother me. You want a phone you can hold in your hand without losing or dropping it. For any future Treos, if they manage to add a 3 or 4 megapixel camera with flash, keep the buttons consistent with the T650 and improve the design and underpinnings of the device with revolutionary ideas, then I'll fork over my cash. And that's the word...
    Last edited by KevMeister; 05/15/2006 at 08:36 PM. Reason: minor edits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I have more of a problem with the fact that we have three buttons assigned to things with overlapping functionality on the 650: Home, Phone/Contacts, and Calendar.
    I don't see much overlap there. Note that the "Calendar" button on the 650 is not "dedicated"; you can reprogram it to any application you use a lot. And I certainly don't like your idea of requiring multiple keypresses just to get to the list of apps (plus, the Home button is very useful within the list of apps, because pressing it repeatedly cycles through the subpages).

And now the 700p wastes another button by assigning it as a dedicated Answer button.
    I confess that I don't see the point in separating Send from Phone. Maybe it will be clearer when I get my hands on one.

My own personal annoyance has always been that I think Send should be On and End should be Off, rather than the On/Off toggle.
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
    I don't see much overlap there. Note that the "Calendar" button on the 650 is not "dedicated"; you can reprogram it to any application you use a lot.
    Oh, I know, and I do. Mine launches Xiino.

And I certainly don't like your idea of requiring multiple keypresses just to get to the list of apps...
    What I envision would only require two presses to get to the app list view. But now I'm bringing us off-topic (and I started this thread!), so I apologize.

My own personal annoyance has always been that I think Send should be On and End should be Off, rather than the On/Off toggle.
    Yeah, I always found it funny (and unintuitive) that you pressed the hangup button to turn the phone on.

The one bit of potentially good news is that it looks like a turned-off Treo can now react to what used to be the Menu button (and perhaps what used to be the Home button as well?). So with a bit of programming, we may now have six buttons that can quick-launch a turned-off Treo.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Come on. I don't use a headset, and I deactivate the touchscreen during calls. (This is really necessary, otherwise I hang up every time my face brushes the phone.) So you're suggesting that the only way for me to disconnect should be to wait for the other party to hang up. Doesn't that seem ridiculous?
    Of course not, you can use the D-pad to hit the Hang Up button on the screen. That's how I end most of my calls in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Of course not, you can use the D-pad to hit the Hang Up button on the screen. That's how I end most of my calls in fact.
    OK, that's possible, but it does require at least two presses (one to activate the screen and the other to actually end the call). I guess I could get used to it, but personally, I have a hard time with menu combinations that require me to "trust" that the right thing is selected on the screen without looking at it. And I have a hard time with the fact that I have to do something different depending on whether the phone has gone into screensaver mode (if I hit it just once in screensaver mode, it doesn't do anything, but if I hit it twice in nonscreensaver mode, then the first button press ends the call and the second does something else I don't want).

Why would you do it this way when you can just hit the red button once?
    Great upgrade. But I switched to ppc-6700 and happy with it. I miss the treo but I enjoy watching TV on slngplayer and listen to it on my BT headset! Treo700p won't do that. Done!
    Lets see:
    - Same Garnet OS as 650 (when is the new one coming out?????)
    - Same Processor as 650
    - Same Screen as 650
    - Heavier than the 650 (.1 oz.... but still)

Sorry but all they did was add the memory that people said the 650 should have had, EVDO, and the BT 1.2 support that the 650 should have had. Don't know that this thing is really worthy of a new model line designation other than swapping the keys around, seems like you should have been a 6xx or something. Have to wait till its out to see if their is anything more compelling for an upgrade but many of the specs are the same as the 650. Look at their own comparison sheet where they compare the 700p, 700w, and 650p. Palm's Own Comparison

This will be great for people who don't own the 650, or who have a 650 and have to have the latest toy for the sake of having the latest toy, but I don't see any major feature that would cause a regular 650 user to upgrade.
    Let me post here to state my disappointment with the 700p. As I've stated elsewhere, I would only purchase this if Sprint offers me $100 and no contract. EVDO, a slight memory bump and bug fixes do not justify this otherwise. No A2DP and no official support of 4Gb SD cards, what a joke. Don't even get me started on the fact we don't even get Wi-Fi via SD... Here's hoping to see what happens on the Palm Access/Linux front but I'm not holding my breath...
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    This doesn't make sense....700p is not advanced enough for you so you will buy another 600 instead
    Well, essentially, the 700p's specs didn't blow me away enough. Enough that I would consider staying with my 600 instead of shelling out almost $700 for it. Unfortunately, I wasn't "wowed" enough to consider it "next gen" in the treo line. Undoubtedly, if I didn't have the T600, I would most probably fall in love with the 700P. I'd probably be singing its praises to high heaven. But, it's not much of a leap from the T600 as it stands, so I'll stick with the T600 instead. Cheaper, but not light years behind.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Wow its been awhile since I posted a comment on here but you guys are saying the samethings I've been thinking. I'm on the fence myself. I'm looking at hp 6925 w/GPS, A2DP, wifi(b), edge(prefer EVDO). The only negative is the screen and no 3g. IMHO MS has closed the gap. I do love the UI of pos and something in me says I would be happy w/ more mem and EVDO. But it will cost me more to switch to cingular. I don't know what I'm going to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Lets see:
    - Same Garnet OS as 650 (when is the new one coming out?????)
    - Same Processor as 650
    - Same Screen as 650
    - Heavier than the 650 (.1 oz.... but still)

Sorry but all they did was add the memory that people said the 650 should have had, EVDO, and the BT 1.2 support that the 650 should have had. Don't know that this thing is really worthy of a new model line designation other than swapping the keys around, seems like you should have been a 6xx or something. Have to wait till its out to see if their is anything more compelling for an upgrade but many of the specs are the same as the 650. Look at their own comparison sheet where they compare the 700p, 700w, and 650p. Palm's Own Comparison

This will be great for people who don't own the 650, or who have a 650 and have to have the latest toy for the sake of having the latest toy, but I don't see any major feature that would cause a regular 650 user to upgrade.

Wow that comparison chart really spells it all out. Both the chart and your post neglect that the 700p has a nicer camera (because we're all dying to have a nice camera) but, yeah, the 700p should be called the Treo 652.
    PC World:
    "I found the Treo 700p was dramatically faster than my Treo 650, at everything from loading and viewing media to scrolling through files on a 1GB SD card, and switching among applications. Even scrolling around within applications--including Documents to Go 8, preloaded on the unit, and the Blazer Web browser--was noticeably faster than on a Treo 650." -- Melissa Perenson

I copied that from the latest Talkin Treo.

Are dramatic speed improvements even physically possible on the 700p versus the 650? Like Palm's own comparison states, it's the same processor.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    it's the same Mhz, but it's a better processor (if its the same one as the 700W, as it has cache on chip) IIRC.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456