Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    is A2DP such a big deal? You can get the softick gateway app to convert signal- isnt that good enuf?
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Softick's has decently high performance overhead. Now, a built in version would also have a performance impact, but presumambly would be less.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I'm SO dissappointed that the Treo 700p is not out yet! It's just an announcement about something we all saw coming. lol
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    Ok. I haven't posted much, but I must say that I am very dissapointed as well. I am also suprised. Being that the CDMA market is already so behind on PDA Phones (Sprint currently has 2, Cingular has 11) I would have thought that they would have asked for more from their phone manufacturers. CMDA is already very poor on smartphone options. Wifi is available on the 6700 which has been out for half a year now. I don't think that any of the involved parties (Sprint, Verizon, or Palm) have responded well to their customers. Heck, all any of them need to do to know what their customers are looking for is read these boards. I can't believe that they have ignored what their customers are looking for. The same processor? The same OS? I am even a little dissappointed in the on board memory. Most of their upgrades other than EVDO and camera are software and many Treo users are going to upgrade those anyway. Most of what they are touting as "new feature" could be had with a ROM update. Also, no A2DP????? They just don't know their customers. This may be a good phone for someone that doesn't have a 650, but for the rest it's a joke. Even if you are in dire need of EVDO. If that's the case they are gonna take you for $600 just so you can get that and a few other little features. This game is getting old. Time to start being open to Cingular I guess. Not saying that they are better, but at least you get options and don't have to wait forever for something new if you don't like your current options.
    The 700p is definitely what the 650 should have been at the start, and that's my gripe about the 700p. Even so, I will probably upgrade when Verizon releases it simply because there's no such thing as too much RAM, and because EVDO will make my online life easier. I will hope and pray that the BT provides a more stable connection to my Acura's HandsFreeLink than the 650 has.

Luckily, my NE2 is coming up in a couple of months so I don't have to pay as much....
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    There are reasons to be dissapointed I guess. For the users that are devout PalmOS I think they would be happy. I guess I have to ask though, what did you want the 700p to do that you are dissapointed? Have a digital TV tuner built in? Run WindowsXP? 1 gig of RAM, pre-installed? I can understand the Wifi thing, so I am not going to add that....

I am pleased with the pair of phones I use now, I have the 9800 for talking and texting, and I have my 650 for everything else, I live on it for web,email, reading books, listening to music, either streaming or something I made and put on my memory card. I could just use my 650 as a phone but missing calls while using data was a PIA! Now finally the 700p has at least been anounced and I am excited, its giving me several things that instead of having third party software. I almost feel like Palm finally got the idea, that though 3rd party apps are good, sometimes when they try to bend the rules they get a little unstable!

I am excited for the new Blazer, I saw that pic with a screen shot of Yahoo! Maps, it would be nice to have the speed, also a big deal for email, and Verichat, and of course I won't miss calls. Having certain apps built in like pTunes and Docs2Go I think is great, like I said it slims down the need to buy or waste space! The 60mb user available! Wow! This I think is huge, even with every app I bought, it is less that 60 megs I can install everything on the device, if I want of course. Streaming!!! Its about time! Palm users have been out in the cold for so long, its about time to have access to video and audio streaming! I am crossing my fingers for XM!

I am sure there are even more things to love, this is just what I was looking for, now here is hoping to see it on VZW when I am ready for my upgrade!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Apparently, you all are Verizon/Sprint customers :-(...

It appears to me that Palm has completely given up on the GSM side - the bigger side I dare say. T-Mobile, for instance, now refuses to consider a Treo-priced product. I can only imaging Cingular will adopt a similar stance.

Sure, not having WiFi is a glaring omission, but having relatively fast Data (though not while on a call) is an arguable compromise.

Every day, more and more GSM users abandon Palm - likely never to return. The 700p should have been an attempt by Palm to satisfy the GSM side, not to simply drop in a PalmOS (and the supportable, though now commonplace 320x320 screen) into an otherwise 700w.

What a dissappointment.
    Where's the innovation? I've waited this long for the 700P (I'm still using my good old 600) and this is all there is? Sure, it's a big enough jump I guess, but... where's the innovation? Where's the new form factor? Where's the "wow" factor? Where I'm from, 3G is invading our islands, and we now have video calls! The 700P only has one camera (1.3mp tsk! tsk!) so video calls are out. More and more phones/smartphones don't have antennas, but the 700P still has one sticking out. More and more smartphones are using the most advanced OS, but the 700P still uses Garnet. Palm takes too many baby steps that it's almost ridiculous! Bring on the innovation! Bring on the hi-tech! Make us say "wow" again like it was Christmas and we were bright-eyed 5 year olds! As it stands, even the 700P isn't enough to make me abandon my 600. Good thing I can still buy a "new" 600 around here. Oh well.
    Why didn't they fix the buttons back to the layout they were on the 650 for the Palm device. I use the Menu key constantly.. And sure, there will be someone out there that'll write or suggest something to remap the keys, but Palm should have done that themselves.

Something like the Innopocket will be useless with the 700P, as you won't be able to drop any menus. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    As it stands, even the 700P isn't enough to make me abandon my 600. Good thing I can still buy a "new" 600 around here. Oh well.
    This doesn't make sense....700p is not advanced enough for you so you will buy another 600 instead
    Tyler Faux of ludustech.com has already said he made an app called Sharkfix 700 ti fix the 700p's keys. Palm should have left well enough alone.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Cingular backed out on the deal and since T-Mobile and Cingular bailed than there was no market for GSM customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Happy Birthday Franko!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!!!!!! PALM SUCKS

Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    From the Treo 700Ps initial specs it appears to be very disappointing.

It appears that Palm only knows how to play catch-up and once again falls short of any real innovation. Instead of investing ahead of the curve, they are slipping further behind the curve.

The Treo 650 was what the Treo 600 should have been, and once again, the Treo 700 is what the 650 should have been.

What is the deal with the goofy stub antenna? Imagine how bad an ipod would look with a stub antenna.

Why is the Treo 700P not skinnier like the upcoming Motorola Q? The Motorola Q is almost half as thick as the Treo 700P (11.5mm v. 23mm) and an inch shorter because it does not have the external antenna. The Motorola Q is also 30% lighter (115 grams v. 178 grams.) Plus the Q has dual, stereo-quality speakers.

I realize Windows OS leaves alot to be desired, but the form of the Motorola Q is extremely compelling. If anyone is going to knock Palm off its pearch it would be Motorola.

With many new entrants encroaching on Palm's QWERTY form-factor including Nokia with its upcoming E61 it is going to be tough for Palm. The Nokia also does not have an external antenna.

What is the deal with a 1.3 Megapixel camera? I would expect at least 2 if not three megapixels.

And what is the deal with HotSyncing? HotSync is s00000 lame. Why can’t palm sync like M$ with Active Sync? When I am running out the door for an appointment, the last thing I want to do is have to sit and wait for my Treo to Hotsync for 4 minutes…that is when and if it works. The Treo is supposed to be a smart-phone, but to me it seems much more like a stupid-phone.

The Treo 700P seems more like an upgrade to me than a new model. Its design looks so stale. I feel like Palm keeps regifting the same design and specs. If they just made the entire case black, ditched the antenna and made it thinner it would look so much cooler and it would be so much more pocketable.

It appears that they just want to sell us more stuff that we don’t need, so we can pay the phone companies much more money for data plans and TV watching??? Who wants to watch TV on a Treo or play around with spreadsheets???

For the first time, I am not only not excited about upgrading, but seriously thinking about selling my 650 and moving on. My Treo 650 has always seemed too heavy and too large. I bought a Motorola Razr and it is so much more pocket friendly. Granted the Motorola UI is just about as bad as it can get, but I am sick of carrying around a small brick in my pocket.

Food for thought…
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Why didn't they fix the buttons back to the layout they were on the 650 for the Palm device. I use the Menu key constantly.. And sure, there will be someone out there that'll write or suggest something to remap the keys, but Palm should have done that themselves.
    Yeah, I griped about this when the first photos showing the new layout leaked out. Sometimes I wonder if anyone at Palm actually uses the devices they make. They claim that they did it to further make it look like a phone. So they're doing this for newbies? It used to be that Palm wasn't afraid to make some things require a slight learning curve if it offered long-term efficiency gains (see: classic Graffiti).

Personally, I don't need answer or hangup buttons *at all*. I initiate my calls the following ways:
    1) Type a couple of letters to filter my list of contacts, select the one I want with the D-Pad and center button.
    2) Call comes in and I press the big finger-friendly on-screen button.
    3) Call comes in and I answer via a headset button.

I hangup calls the following ways:
    1) Let the person I'm talking to hang up.
    2) Hang up via the big finger-friendly on-screen button.
    3) Hang up via a headset button.

I don't think I've ever answered a call by pressing the green phone button or hung up a call using the red phone button. I'd rather have the extra buttons assigned to other apps. On that note, I have some specific ideas for what I think would make for a better button assignment. I'll try to create a mockup of that soon.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    botom line is people who never owned a Treo or is coming from a Treo 600, will love the treo 700P & have nothing to complain about. Us loyal Treo early adopters who are coming from the Treo 650 are NOT impressed & very indignant. I will NOT buy the Treo 700 P unless I get a SUBSTANTIAL discount or steal one from some dumb treo newbie...
    The last time I said wow over a Treo was when I laid my eyes on the Treo 600. That was back when Handspring owned Treo. Palm took over & wow has turned into yawn...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    I hangup calls the following ways:
    1) Let the person I'm talking to hang up.
    2) Hang up via the big finger-friendly on-screen button.
    3) Hang up via a headset button.
    Come on. I don't use a headset, and I deactivate the touchscreen during calls. (This is really necessary, otherwise I hang up every time my face brushes the phone.) So you're suggesting that the only way for me to disconnect should be to wait for the other party to hang up. Doesn't that seem ridiculous?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    Mr. Colligan: The only thing that surprises me consistently is how little they use the devices. There is so much capability that 90% of people don't discover. They say, "It would be really cool if you had a MP3 player in here." We do.

Many people use the Treo as a phone. People come to me all the time and say, "I love this thing, it has changed my life. I just run my whole life with it." I'll get their device and I'll go into it. They have 12 addresses in it and a few appointments. ... Essentially, the devices are almost too complex for a lot of people. And it is one of our challenges.
    Perfect example of why the new Treo 700p is not innovative. They are attempting to appeal to the mass market, folks who don't use or even know the functionality that exists in more advanced WM 5.0 devices.

They are not building phones for us (techno geeks) anymore, they are building them for the masses (tech dummies).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
    Come on. I don't use a headset, and I deactivate the touchscreen during calls. (This is really necessary, otherwise I hang up every time my face brushes the phone.) So you're suggesting that the only way for me to disconnect should be to wait for the other party to hang up. Doesn't that seem ridiculous?
    There are ways this could be handled. First, we do need an on/off button. So the red button has to stay. If Palm wants to continue to have that hangup calls for people who use the phone the way you do, I have no problem with that.

I have more of a problem with the fact that we have three buttons assigned to things with overlapping functionality on the 650: Home, Phone/Contacts, and Calendar. And now the 700p wastes another button by assigning it as a dedicated Answer button.

Here's how I might envision a better button layout:

On/Off Menu
    Home Web Email Multimedia

The Home button would launch an app similar to the Phone app we currently have on our 600/650's. From here, you'd dial numbers, type a few letters to filter a list of contacts, view your upcoming appointment (and navigate the blue ring over or tap on the screen to launch the Calendar or To-Do list apps), and also be able to access an App list (Home view).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast