Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    I am disappointed that there is no wifi. Palm has promised wi-fi since the Treo 180. EVDO will take care of me here in the USA but when I travel it would be nice to be able to connect with wi-fi. I know I could get a GSM phone but I am happy with the service/price on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    From the Treo 700Ps initial specs it appears to be very disappointing.

It appears that Palm only knows how to play catch-up and once again falls short of any real innovation. Instead of investing ahead of the curve, they are slipping further behind the curve.

The Treo 650 was what the Treo 600 should have been, and once again, the Treo 700 is what the 650 should have been...
    Those first three lines pretty much sum up the story, although I think you were generaous in saying Palm even know how to play catch-up. Let's see, current standards (at least among WM5 based phones) since January 1 include WiFi; A2DP; Bluetooth 2.0; wireless push email, calendar, contacts and tasks; no antennae stub; many are thinner, lighter, and/or use standard mini-usb connectors.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeE
    From the Treo 700Ps initial specs it appears to be very disappointing.

It appears that Palm only knows how to play catch-up and once again falls short of any real innovation. Instead of investing ahead of the curve, they are slipping further behind the curve.

The Treo 650 was what the Treo 600 should have been, and once again, the Treo 700 is what the 650 should have been.

What is the deal with the goofy stub antenna? Imagine how bad an ipod would look with a stub antenna.

Why is the Treo 700P not skinnier like the upcoming Motorola Q? The Motorola Q is almost half as thick as the Treo 700P (11.5mm v. 23mm) and an inch shorter because it does not have the external antenna. The Motorola Q is also 30% lighter (115 grams v. 178 grams.) Plus the Q has dual, stereo-quality speakers.

I realize Windows OS leaves alot to be desired, but the form of the Motorola Q is extremely compelling. If anyone is going to knock Palm off its pearch it would be Motorola.

With many new entrants encroaching on Palm's QWERTY form-factor including Nokia with its upcoming E61 it is going to be tough for Palm. The Nokia also does not have an external antenna.

What is the deal with a 1.3 Megapixel camera? I would expect at least 2 if not three megapixels.

And what is the deal with HotSyncing? HotSync is s00000 lame. Why can’t palm sync like M$ with Active Sync? When I am running out the door for an appointment, the last thing I want to do is have to sit and wait for my Treo to Hotsync for 4 minutes…that is when and if it works. The Treo is supposed to be a smart-phone, but to me it seems much more like a stupid-phone.

The Treo 700P seems more like an upgrade to me than a new model. Its design looks so stale. I feel like Palm keeps regifting the same design and specs. If they just made the entire case black, ditched the antenna and made it thinner it would look so much cooler and it would be so much more pocketable.

It appears that they just want to sell us more stuff that we don’t need, so we can pay the phone companies much more money for data plans and TV watching??? Who wants to watch TV on a Treo or play around with spreadsheets???

For the first time, I am not only not excited about upgrading, but seriously thinking about selling my 650 and moving on. My Treo 650 has always seemed too heavy and too large. I bought a Motorola Razr and it is so much more pocket friendly. Granted the Motorola UI is just about as bad as it can get, but I am sick of carrying around a small brick in my pocket.

Food for thought…
    Chomp chomp chomp...thoughts taste good, says CookieMonster.

Jake, welcome back (not that you ever left).

You are right about the 700p in several respects.

From what I can see, the only pluses are:

-EVDO
    -BT 1.2
    -More memory

All three (with maybe the exception of EVDO) should have been in the 650.

Why not BT 2.0? That's been around plenty long, along with AD2P (sp?) profile.

Hotsync bytes, that's for sure...I bascially only sync appts and tasks to keep the sync speed reasonable. I used ActiveSync many years ago on a first gen Windows PPC, and even then was suprised how well it work (and the speed). This legacy serial port/com port stuff has got to go - it's 2006, for crying out loud.

Yes, size is another area; get rid of the antenna nub, and slim it down.

As for the camera, I can live with 1.3MP, but it's not like a 2.0 would be that hard.

And yes, as I said many times, we are $600 beta testers. The Treo resets regularly (Do to the ancient OS)...luckily, no data loss, but still annoying.

Unfortuantely, I'm stuck with Sprint for a variety of reasons, and the Treo still is the one-hand operation king, which I reallly need.

That said, you'd think they would do better since you are paying the price of a low-end (but decent) laptop.
    I posted this in another thread but I thought it would be more appropriate here.

To me, this phone is not worth it at all. It's basically a Treo 650 on steroids with the only benefits for me being more memory and EV-DO. There are key elements to this phone that are left out that make the price absolutely ridiculous (whether it's $400 or $600). No excuse for lack of WiFi support (even in the SDIO slot) or bluetooth voice dialing. These are basic features that all smartphones today have. 1.3 MP camera is still too crappy to be functional. No support for SD cards over 2 MP is a joke. I just don't understand spending $500 on a phone where the only upgrades over the previous version are more memory and faster data connection.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    no 3.5 mm headset jack, less talk/standby time, more weight ((.2 oz!), same rsolution screen, only 1.3 megapixel camera (which solves nothing), much software pre-integrated which means we wasted our money buying apps for the 650.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    It won't have built in voice dialing <Laughing>
    I got a e-mail from Voice Signal on Friday advising me that they ahd written a "special" version of VSuite for the 700p......I shot back "you eman the one release don Palm site on may 8th or a different one ?" ....no answer yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Actually, I just saw a video interview with the person in charge of the whole marketing (you can watch it at a link over at gizmodo) where the guy said that it supports 2GB and that they are currently testing 4GB cards. In other words, it may or may not support 4GB cards. Sucky palm.

TC announcement page said 2GB and up IIRC
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    NO voice activated dialing over Bluetooth, I really don't see the inprovment in BT, except maybe being able to connect multiple devices problem free.
    I don't quite get this.....you mean say the word "Call" and the Treo calls with no button push whatsoever ? I'd be afraid everytime one of the kids or adults in the car said "ball" , "fall", "gall", "hall", "mall", "paul", "tall", "wall" the phone would start trying dial out. The only improvement I would prefer is to move the button that I now push .... 2" from steering wheel (where Treo mounted) to right on the steering wheel.
    One of the reasons I stuck with my i500 is because I can't stand the treo form factor, and as many point out they seem to be one or two steps behind from truly doing it right. But I am upgrading, kicking and screaming as I go, only because I'm either getting it for free or for dirt cheap. And the day LG comes to market with a flip or slider version of a palm phone, the 700p will be up on ebay in less than it took me to write this post.

The 600 was innovative and a major step up from the 300. Since then it's been minor upgrades. With Nokia and Motorola "getting it" it's just a shame to see the 700p be what it is. Smartphones were designed under the need for convergence, yet even with the 700p I feel reluctant to give up my axim x50v. At least they kept the SD slot. I was tempted to try some of the WM phones, but with micro sd slots I'm not about to abandon my multigig cards I use on my cameras and sacrifice storage size. There's just no need.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'm not disapointed at all.... I really like the following from the Treo 700p:
    EVDO: This is a killer feature, even if that was the only update I would have been happy with it.
    -60MB of memory for programs: Wow, I think I only have 23MB available for my Treo 650. It is almost 3 times more memory.
    -1.3Mpxl Camera: Nice.... Now I will be using SplashBlog more often. This is really nice.
    -dbchage is now 18MB. This is gonna make the 700p rock....!!
    -Lot's of nice programs built in like Ptunes, Documents to Go, MobiTV.... Dude those programs take a lot of memory and having them built-int is a big plus.
    -New Blazer optimized to be blazing fast and stream videos. Awesome... I will be probably getting rid of Xiino and finally surf the web the way it was meant to be.
    -The keyboard and hardware keys are freaking nice..... If you compare it to the 650 keys you will see that the 650's keeps look freaking cheap.

I see this Treo as been a must upgrade for all 600 users and a nice boost for all 650 users.

Al
    The keyboard is much better on the 700p. I've used a 700w and found the keyboard and buttons to be much easier and comfortable to use. I am looking forward to being able to listen to XM radio on the 700p like I did with the ppc-6700.
    Jimmie Geddes
  12.    #72  
    I think the thing I'm most disappointed with is the camera. 1.3MP is fine by me, but based on what I've seen from the 700w and recently leaked 700p photos, the picture quality is *worse* than the 650's camera. Inexcusable!
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I don't quite get this.....you mean say the word "Call" and the Treo calls with no button push whatsoever ? I'd be afraid everytime one of the kids or adults in the car said "ball" , "fall", "gall", "hall", "mall", "paul", "tall", "wall" the phone would start trying dial out. The only improvement I would prefer is to move the button that I now push .... 2" from steering wheel (where Treo mounted) to right on the steering wheel.
    You should be able to push the MF (M***** F******) button on the bluetooth headset and have the app launch and work via the headset.

Sorry... just a little pationate about the stupidity of them not fixing this.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    But I have a sprint T650 personal use.
    I have Verizon T700W on windows mobile.

I really like Wifi when I cant get a cell signal, and the OS on WM
    is not that bad, once you get used to the phone. I think it is
    worth it to get a Verizon T700W since it's usability is very
    nice.

(PS you get used to the lower res screen easily.)

(PPS I wont be getting the Sprint 700P since there is no Wifi support.)

One more thing I'm a die hard Palm OS lover, and I realize change is hard
    but definitely worth it.
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    -New Blazer optimized to be blazing fast and stream videos. Awesome... I will be probably getting rid of Xiino and finally surf the web the way it was meant to be.

Let's take it easy on this one. We've been told each version of Blazer is 'blazing fast' since the 600 pre-announcement. We haven't seen a single video of browsing with Blazer. Having used a 6700, I can attest that EV-DO does not guarantee fast browsing. The processor wil continue to be the bottleneck.

The only time I have experienced 'blazing fast' browsing on my Treo is with Xiino (which uses a proxy and overcomes the processor limitation) and a reverse-DUN connection. I'm drooling at the thought of Xiino over EV-DO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    You should be able to push the MF (M***** F******) button on the bluetooth headset and have the app launch and work via the headset.

Sorry... just a little pationate about the stupidity of them not fixing this.
    Works great on the Cingular 8125 with either built in voice tags (you program, like Palm) or ANY contact with MS Voice COmmand.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Here we go again.....let me get a jumping start:

- no wifi
    - not enough memory
    - no latest version of BT
    - Camera resolution is not high enough
    - Keyboard is too small
    - Battery life sucks
    - Screen resolution is not 640X640

Wait a second, these are the same complaints when the 650 was first launched back in 2004
    -NO AD2P
    -No WIFI
    -Moving the Menu button on the KEYBOARD, come on!
    -and tentatively, if NO SD support natively larger than 4GB.
    JakeE,

While I don't like the stub antenna, I'd much rather have it that the design of the Motorola Q. It looks like an ugly brick. There are almost no curves, and everything is just square blocks. I'd guess it's a PDA before a phone. It also seems to have an inch (hard to tell from the pictures) of blank space on the bottom of the device. Couldn't they make the keys bigger and use that space up like the Treo does?

The Nokia E61 looks just as bricky and PDA-like, but at least fills up the phone with keys. It looks a good deal wider than the Treo as well, so ummm, I don't really see it as an improvement, just different.

I want to watch TV on my Treo. I mean I don't want to do it all the time, but if the capability is in the hardware and it doesn't cost me anything, then yes. I want to be able to do spreadsheets as well. However, the real fun comes when you add a docking station like the OQO and a video out so it's like a DVD player when you are on vacation or traveling. Perhaps that's the next step coming down the line.

I'd much rather be able to watch TV than have dual stereo speakers on a device three inches wide. Who is going to use that as their speaker system for any length of time?

I'll admit that it's not real innovation, but I don't think that Palm is looking for that. I believe they are looking to have the best combination of form, features, and usability. In large part I think they've done that.

Now if they'd just give me freaking wifi card support on a Palm Treo!
    I am disappointed with the lack of the A2DP. Actually the thing the turn me off the most is the look. So...generic. If I am not upgrading to a 700p, this is the major reason. That, and the late release.
    Eh, I'll add that I'm disappointed there's no dedicated audio jack. Also, I'd like to see applications out there like Skype, Vonage SoftPhone, Slingbox, etc. If necessary Palm should have a software group working with these companies to get something up and going.

Am I the only one that thinks that the antenna is actually useful? I mean everyone is willing to get rid of it, but how would that affect reception? Do we think it's really just a block of plastic that doesn't do anything? I find that hard to believe.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast