Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The specs are astounding (if not too much of it is B.S.). As good or better than I expected.

I hope Palm has finally figured that it's users don't appreciate paying so much to catch so many obvious problems for them - most manufacturers do a little beta testing before selling their devices, maybe Palm caught on with this trend - gawd I hope so.

The only thing that I wish Palm would start doing is a dedicated 3.5mm jack for the stereo - located near the top of the phone so it doesn't rip out of the socket so much. The 2.5mm-3.5mm kludging that they've relied upon so long for the Treos needs to be retired very, very soon. Meanwhile, iPod will still have to do for the serious mp3 listening - a shame because the Treo *could* do it.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Why do you say it doesnt have A2DP support? Is that confirmed
    Built-in Bluetooth®1.2 wireless technology (A2DP not available)

from the main page... as well as every other review site D: My JX-10 just got a lot less cool
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu
    Built-in Bluetooth®1.2 wireless technology (A2DP not available)

from the main page... as well as every other review site D: My JX-10 just got a lot less cool
    NO voice activated dialing over Bluetooth, I really don't see the inprovment in BT, except maybe being able to connect multiple devices problem free.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    We are all disappointed we were all wishing for something new like wifi, but remember it is palm we're talking about, but i can still say that about 90% of us will still go out and buy the thing, we are on a treo forum and wouldnt be if we didnt like treos,

So im going to be first in the que to get mine.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I had three phones that I was looking to upgrade to- the 700p, the Nokia E61 and the SE P990. Not knowing when the other two will arrive, I went ahead bought the E61 yesterday and today's announcment of 700p makes me thing that I made a good decesion by getting the E61. The 700p is quite a disappointment for me.

-a
    From the Treo 700Ps initial specs it appears to be very disappointing.

It appears that Palm only knows how to play catch-up and once again falls short of any real innovation. Instead of investing ahead of the curve, they are slipping further behind the curve.

The Treo 650 was what the Treo 600 should have been, and once again, the Treo 700 is what the 650 should have been.

What is the deal with the goofy stub antenna? Imagine how bad an ipod would look with a stub antenna.

Why is the Treo 700P not skinnier like the upcoming Motorola Q? The Motorola Q is almost half as thick as the Treo 700P (11.5mm v. 23mm) and an inch shorter because it does not have the external antenna. The Motorola Q is also 30% lighter (115 grams v. 178 grams.) Plus the Q has dual, stereo-quality speakers.

I realize Windows OS leaves alot to be desired, but the form of the Motorola Q is extremely compelling. If anyone is going to knock Palm off its pearch it would be Motorola.

With many new entrants encroaching on Palm's QWERTY form-factor including Nokia with its upcoming E61 it is going to be tough for Palm. The Nokia also does not have an external antenna.

What is the deal with a 1.3 Megapixel camera? I would expect at least 2 if not three megapixels.

And what is the deal with HotSyncing? HotSync is s00000 lame. Why can’t palm sync like M$ with Active Sync? When I am running out the door for an appointment, the last thing I want to do is have to sit and wait for my Treo to Hotsync for 4 minutes…that is when and if it works. The Treo is supposed to be a smart-phone, but to me it seems much more like a stupid-phone.

The Treo 700P seems more like an upgrade to me than a new model. Its design looks so stale. I feel like Palm keeps regifting the same design and specs. If they just made the entire case black, ditched the antenna and made it thinner it would look so much cooler and it would be so much more pocketable.

It appears that they just want to sell us more stuff that we don’t need, so we can pay the phone companies much more money for data plans and TV watching??? Who wants to watch TV on a Treo or play around with spreadsheets???

For the first time, I am not only not excited about upgrading, but seriously thinking about selling my 650 and moving on. My Treo 650 has always seemed too heavy and too large. I bought a Motorola Razr and it is so much more pocket friendly. Granted the Motorola UI is just about as bad as it can get, but I am sick of carrying around a small brick in my pocket.

Food for thought…
    Last edited by JakeE; 05/15/2006 at 05:33 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Wow...loooong time no see JakeE.

I agree about the antenna stub, but I think I'ld rather have a nice long battery life than super thin phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <threads merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Jakee, very interesting thoughts.

I agree that there is not much improvements from the 650.. but really, as with most Treo users, I think we are hooked.

I know personally, I cannot go back to a 'regular' non-pda phone. And from trying both the PPC-6700, and 8125 on Cingular, WM5.0 is not for me.

So yah, I think Palm hooked me with their crack (aka Treos)
    Hi Gfunk!

It has been a long, long time. I haven't posted because I did not have any thing to say.

I have just been waiting patiently for Palm to take its next step, hoping they would introduce a really compelling new Treo.

I agree with you about the battery life, but that is a specific example of Palm not innovating. It they were really innovative, they would offer multiple battery options, so if you want it thin (like the Motorola Q) you could have it that way or if you want really long battery life like you, you could have a bigger battery.

Or even better, they would keep the same battery performance in a smaller size. They say the battery efficency has improved with the 700P, but is seemed more than adequate in the 650.

Make sense?

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 05/15/2006 at 05:26 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Trim81,

I understand what you mean about being hooked, but for me it seems like I spend more time struggling with my Treo 650 than I do using it as a productive tool.

I have had so many challenges with my Treo’s over the years. I have only ever felt like a guinea pig, which I hate. I don’t want to pay $500+ dollars to be a beta tester.

I will give you an example of my frustration. When Palm introduced the 650 it was not compatible with the cradle I bought for my Treo 600. After I bought my 650 I had to wait MANY months for Palm to come out with the cradle for the 650. Why would Palm in their infinite wisdom wait months to deliver the cradle?

The original Palms all came standard with a cradle, before they realized they could gouge the customer and make them pay extra for a cradle. To me, Palm selling the Treo without a cradle for $500 would be like Ferrari selling their cars with bicycle tires.

Months after I purchased my Treo 650, the first day the new cradle was available for the Treo 650 I bought one and it gave me nothing but headaches. It was Rev A and rarely worked, plus it cost twice as much as my Treo 600 cradle. Why should I have to upgrade and then pay twice as much for the new cradle???

Then the Rev A cradle stopped working all together, I called Palm and they sent me a new cradle. Same thing happens…it is flaky then it dies. So I call Palm again and they send me a third cradle, and the same thing happens again. You guessed it. The third cradle died and they sent me another one.

Then they discontinue support for the Mac????

I really think they have failed to deliver on real innovation. I agree that WM5 is junk. So I am thinking I just want the smallest phone that has Bluetooth.

I find the new Treo 700P to be extremely un-compelling…way too little...way too late...
    Last edited by JakeE; 05/15/2006 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    The specs are astounding (if not too much of it is B.S.). As good or better than I expected.

I hope Palm has finally figured that it's users don't appreciate paying so much to catch so many obvious problems for them - most manufacturers do a little beta testing before selling their devices, maybe Palm caught on with this trend - gawd I hope so.

The only thing that I wish Palm would start doing is a dedicated 3.5mm jack for the stereo - located near the top of the phone so it doesn't rip out of the socket so much. The 2.5mm-3.5mm kludging that they've relied upon so long for the Treos needs to be retired very, very soon. Meanwhile, iPod will still have to do for the serious mp3 listening - a shame because the Treo *could* do it.
    Joad,

I completely agree with you about the lack of a 3.5mm jack. If Palm had a 3.5mm jack they could seriously compete with Apples iPod’s.

This is just another example of the folks at Palm not understanding or caring to understand their core customers.

If they ditched the stupid stubby antenna and put a 3.5mm jack in its place then people could walk around with their white Apple iPod headphones and listen to their Treo. This is a MAJOR strategic design and marketing OVERSIGHT on Palm’s behalf.

As Michael Ducker brilliantly pointed out quite some time ago, Palm missed the boat on making the Treo a strong player in the Multimedia arena.

Also not putting a 2 or 3 Megapixel camera on the Treo 700 is another strategic design and marketing blunder. I want to replace my point and shoot digital camera and iPod with my Treo, not have to carry all three.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 05/15/2006 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    This thread is for us all to voice our gripes about what we don't like about the 700p.
    My only gripe is that it ain't GSM so I can't use one here in Europe. I WANT ONE WITH HIGH SPEED DATA UMTS HSPDA.

700p GSM where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Why must all these threads go off topic??
    YES...because there is not much of a topic at all in the threads in the first place, just redundant babble during the silly season. A solid topic seems to stay in tune.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If one were to go by this OFFICAL Smartphone Comparison Chart:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/compare/index.html

It is all very disappointing. The only differences between the
    650 and 700 are:

- 60 MB usable memory
    - EvDO
    - 0.1 oz heavier

Tsk! Tsk!

The worse aspects (eg. the audio jack) of the 650 do not seem to
    have been addressed.

- It is the same old OS... Garnet x.y.(z+1) whatever...

- Not even the reset button location appears to have been changed.

- The antenna shape is uglier...

What in hell was palm thinking?

And now, this "thing" has to compete with the W version!
    Even with the slite upgrade side of things...I still am planning on getting this device...I want the EVDO and the extra memory. The only thing is just how deep will the 700p end up reaching in my pocket. The speculation of 700 being not only what the device is called but what it may cost is what I think is rediculus.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I agree 100% with jakeE. but maybe the treo 700p is purely for the value conscious american market only.
    maybe for the feature hungry european n asian market, They will release the gsm treo 700pi w/c will have sleek design, wifi, 3g n better screen.
    maybe I'm just dreaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    I agree 100% with jakeE. but maybe the treo 700p is purely for the value conscious american market only.
    maybe for the feature hungry european n asian market, They will release the gsm treo 700pi w/c will have sleek design, wifi, 3g n better screen.
    maybe I'm just dreaming.
    With gas prices as they are...America's Obesity problem will be news of the past, and we will continue to not get all the goodies we disire.
    at&t iPhone3G
  19.    #59  
    The specs are final, but there are still a few questions (e.g., What does "limited" 4GB support mean? Can I initiate a call using just the BT headset? Will this new Blazer be as fast at reloading pages you've already downloaded as Xiino is?).

I'll probably get a 700p, and I'm excited about some of the features. Some of the missing features don't surprise me. I wasn't expecting it to have built-in Wi-Fi, and I was pessimistic about the chances of even having support for the Wi-Fi card. I don't really *need* Wi-Fi, but I'm annoyed by the lame excuse they offer (Most people will find that Ev-DO is good enough). Whatever.

I'll have to mull it all over some more before I post my laundry list of disappointments. At this point I get the feeling that we're suffering through the results of Palm having a monopoly on the Palm OS smartphone market. For those of us who prefer the Palm OS, we basically have no other choice but to take what they offer us. I know that the user community has complained about Garnet for the past couple of years, but while I would have loved to have seen Cobalt adopted by one or more licensees, at this point I'd even be happy just seeing more licensees producing Garnet smartphones.
    Last edited by Scott R; 05/15/2006 at 06:30 AM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu
    No AD2P D; Gah! I was looking forward to that SO much :/

Same here. Bluetooth upgrade was the most important upgrade i was looking for.

Since there's no Wifi support either, I don't see what makes this model any different than 650( of course apart from the mem and EDVO). I dont think this new treo is worth it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast