Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    WHY COULDN'T PALM JUST SURPRISE US JUST ONCE.
    Well, they could surprise like the phones in this thread. Let's hope not, though.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113932

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    being able to voice dial from the headset is almost a must. It defeats its very purpose especially when other dumb devices can do so with not so recent technology even. It would defenitely be a gross oversight by Palm engineers.
    Ok, so it has bluetooth 1.2. What can that do that bluetooth 1.1 can't?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Ok, so it has bluetooth 1.2. What can that do that bluetooth 1.1 can't?
    According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth):

Bluetooth 1.2

This version is backwards compatible with 1.1 and the major enhancements include

* Adaptive Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (AFH), which improves resistance to radio frequency interference by avoiding using crowded frequencies in the hopping sequence
    * Higher transmission speeds in practice
    * extended Synchronous Connections (eSCO), which improves voice quality of audio links by allowing retransmissions of corrupted packets.
    * Host Controller Interface (HCI) support for 3-wire UART
    * HCI access to timing information for Bluetooth applications.
    And what does all that do for the end user? Will we still have problems with crackling audio in a bluetooth headset if the Treo is on the other side of our body from the headset?

Does bluetooth 1.2 allow for voice dialing from a bluetooth headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    And what does all that do for the end user? Will we still have problems with crackling audio in a bluetooth headset if the Treo is on the other side of our body from the headset?

Does bluetooth 1.2 allow for voice dialing from a bluetooth headset?
    The problem with the Treo isn't the Bluetooth version- it's a problem with the Treo. Other phones out there with BT 1.1 allow voice dialing - The Audiovox SMT5600 comes to mind (I had one) while others with BT 1.1 can't (Motorola MPx220). The 700w has BT 1.2 and doesn't allow voice dialing by BT, so I highly doubt that the 700p will - and the fact they they don't say it does in the product brochure means it probably does not support it.

Apparently Palm hasn't figured out a way to make it work. It's totally a Palm and or the specific BT stack they use.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    what are the differences between 1.2 and 2.0 other than the higher number as im sure someone would point out?
    Bluetooth 1.0 and 1.0B

Versions 1.0 and 1.0 B had numerous problems and the various manufacturers had great difficulties in making their products interoperable. 1.0 and 1.0B also had mandatory Bluetooth Hardware Device Address (BD_ADDR) transmission in the handshaking process, rendering anonymity impossible at a protocol level, which was a major setback for services planned to be used in Bluetooth environments, such as Consumerium.

Bluetooth 1.1

In version 1.1:

* many errata found in the 1.0B specifications were fixed.
    * added support for non-encrypted channels.
    * Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI)

Bluetooth 1.2

This version is backwards compatible with 1.1 and the major enhancements include

* Adaptive Frequency-hopping spread spectrum (AFH), which improves resistance to radio frequency interference by avoiding using crowded frequencies in the hopping sequence
    * Higher transmission speeds in practice
    * extended Synchronous Connections (eSCO), which improves voice quality of audio links by allowing retransmissions of corrupted packets.
    * Host Controller Interface (HCI) support for 3-wire UART
    * HCI access to timing information for Bluetooth applications.

Bluetooth 2.0

This version is backwards compatible with 1.x. The main enhancement is the introduction of Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) of 2.1 Mbit/s. This has the following effects (Bluetooth SIG, 2004):

* 3 times faster transmission speed (up to 10 times in certain cases).
    * Lower power consumption through a reduced duty cycle.
    * Simplification of multi-link scenarios due to more available bandwidth.
    * Further improved BER (bit error rate) performance.

More about bluetooth here
    The lack of A2DP profile is annoying, but at least there is now the softick Audio gateway option out there for PalmOS users. I am hoping that Palm will eventually release an update for this though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The lack of A2DP profile is annoying, but at least there is now the softick Audio gateway option out there for PalmOS users. I am hoping that Palm will eventually release an update for this though...
    Yeah I was about to say that Audio Gateway + Plantronics Pulsar 590A Bluetooth Headset... is all I need for my audio needs
    <s></s>
    Quote Originally Posted by pmb
    Give the Plantronic Voyager 510 a try..........I've spent a fortune on different headsets and this is the best for high ambient noise enviroments (semi trucks). People on the other end claim almost no backround noise from my end and I CAN walk away from the phone IF the phones signal reception is strong to begin with. Bear in mind with a Bluetooth headset in your ear you're wearing a radio about as close to the body as you can get. If they made a radio/bluetooth transcever that kicked ****, it'd fry the brain....probably is anyway!!!
    I agree. I did a lot of research on bluetooth headsets before ordering my Plantronics 510. It has been great. Still can't voice dial but I like that I can use it on more than one bluetooth enabled device at a time and I have no problems with static. I only roam about 15 feet at the most from it's cradle at any given time.
    the difference between 1.1 (650) and 1.2 is NIGHT AND DAY. I have the 700w and 650 and the headset performance on the 700 is AMAZING compared to the 650. MUCH faster connection, crystal clear sound, etc.
    It's not just the version of BT that impacts the performance (static or non-static), but more importantly, the implementation by the phone vendor and the headset vendor.

Given we all know how weak the BT radio is on the 650, lets hope that the BT radio is much stonger on the 700p.

I just wish someone who already has a pre-production model for press review can definitively anwser that question via a comparison with a couple of different headsets on a 650 vs. 700p, but none of the reviewers have addresses this yet.

Of course, we can assume that the 700w is an example of how the 700p BT radio will perform like, but I'm not assuming anything, given the different OS's, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    It's not just the version of BT that impacts the performance (static or non-static), but more importantly, the implementation by the phone vendor and the headset vendor.

Given we all know how weak the BT radio is on the 650, lets hope that the BT radio is much stonger on the 700p.
    I sure hope Palm didn't screw this up. The BT on my 650 is so aggravating, that I don't even use it anymore. I do not want this to be the case for the 700p.

Of course, we can assume that the 700w is an example of how the 700p BT radio will perform like, but I'm not assuming anything, given the different OS's, etc.
    That's a good question. How is BT on the 700w? Any 700w users out there care to tell us?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What is this? Will this allow you to listen to music in BT Stereo?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Yes.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Finally! I need to look into that app!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    The bluetooth headset problem is inherent in the headset as well as the phone. The headset is very low power. Plus you are competing with 802.11 wireless, which adds interference, esp. if you are close to an active 802.11 device, particularly a wireless hub.

Also, most BT headset users who have other cell phones still complain of poor quality connections. Best thing is to find a BT headset that works acceptibly with your device. Different headsets tend to work better with different phones.

I can tell you this, using BT DUN on my T650, with a USB Class 1 BT dongle on my laptop, I can maintain an internet connection 100 yards away (outdoors) from my T650. So the BT transceiver in the 650 is a very good class 1 BT device. (note: Class 1-rated between 100-300 ft.; class 2 is 10-30ft: all headsets are class 2). Note: BT is limited by its weakest link! In other words, pairing a class 2 BT device with a class 1 BT device is no better than pairing a couple of class 2 BT devices together.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12