1.    #1  
    In reading some of the posts about the 700p, I get the feeling that many believe that this will be the last version of a Palm OS Treo.
    Is the Palm OS going to die out?
    Why?
    Alan Mushnick
    It's old and decrepid! It used to age like wine, but now it's aging like milk.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmushnick
    In reading some of the posts about the 700p, I get the feeling that many believe that this will be the last version of a Palm OS Treo.
    Is the Palm OS going to die out?
    Why?
    Yes would be a simple response if you're referring to PalmOS Garnet. Reason being PalmOS Garnet is getting "long in the tooth" so to speak and consumers are getting tired of little being offered in the updates. For example lack of WIFI or even Voice Activated Dialing for Bluetooth headset users. Also with interest in ALP (Access Linux Platform) it should be obvious that Palm will transition to an open source platform which lowers cost of development and cost to customers. Though with ALP being open source it shouldn't be to difficult to install it on the Treo 650 or Treo 700 which will help prolong customer devices life cycle.
    Lots of conversation on this.

I say no, I believe there willl be a Palm/Linux OS on a future Treo. Whether it is ALP which was announced by Access/PalmSource or something Ed and the boys are cooking up in the basement at Palm -- I do not know -- but (here I go again) I do believe we are looking at the last reincarnation of FrankenGarnet to be then followed by a new PalmOS.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think Ed is cooking up a version. I think it would be a smart move. If they could make a better version of the Linux platform, they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees and they could license it out.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    I think Ed is cooking up a version. I think it would be a smart move. If they could make a better version of the Linux platform, they wouldn't have to pay licensing fees and they could license it out.
    They obviously have the talent in house --- how did they get FrakenGarnet to do EV-DO, I thought the industry scuttlebut was that that could not happen. . . .?

Confuzzled, but I am certainly not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Lots of conversation on this.

I say no, I believe there willl be a Palm/Linux OS on a future Treo. Whether it is ALP which was announced by Access/PalmSource or something Ed and the boys are cooking up in the basement at Palm -- I do not know -- but (here I go again) I do believe we are looking at the last reincarnation of FrankenGarnet to be followed by a new PalmOS.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have to concur with Perry, Why would Access bought Palm Source if they did not plan to pursue the course of putting a Palm OS look alike on the on the Linux kernel. We will see a future Treo with a Linux based OS from either Palm or Access. It will not be soon enough. But if they make it as easy to use as the current Palm OS interface; they will have a winner on their hands as long as it will do multi tasking. I feel that Palm has created a niche market as Apple has done even though they are constanly assaulted by Microsoft. Palm can do the same if they would just read these forums and try to address the needs of their customer base.

Jerry G.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    I have to concur with Perry, Why would Access bought Palm Source if they did not plan to pursue the course of putting a Palm OS look alike on the on the Linux kernel. We will see a future Treo with a Linux based OS from either Palm or Access. It will not be soon enough. But if they make it as easy to use as the current Palm OS interface; they will have a winner on their hands as long as it will do multi tasking. I feel that Palm has created a niche market as Apple has done even though they are constanly assaulted by Microsoft. Palm can do the same if they would just read these forums and try to address the needs of their customer base.

Jerry G.
    I agree, if for no other reason than to give MS competition.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Whatever they are gonna do, they better do fast. WM has made big strides. It would not be surprising to see a new WM6 by year's end. That one will work every bit as good as PalmOS with excellent one handed use, multitasking (which they already have) and a bunch of other features that we don't have (like 20 devices with wifi built-in).

This scenario is all too familiar. I was a die-hard mac user until M$ finally caught-up.
  10.    #10  
    Actually I don't even know what garnet or linux kernel really is. I am basically just used to the Palm OS. If there was a demonstrably superior OS, I guess I would go with it, especially if I could easily import my current data files, contacts, etc. Multitasking would be a good idea, and there is no reason why Treos shouldn't have a ton of more memory or a simple way to run programs off a memory card. With such a great device memory shouldn't be an issue at all.
    Alan Mushnick
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmushnick
    Actually I don't even know what garnet or linux kernel really is. I am basically just used to the Palm OS. If there was a demonstrably superior OS, I guess I would go with it, especially if I could easily import my current data files, contacts, etc. Multitasking would be a good idea, and there is no reason why Treos shouldn't have a ton of more memory or a simple way to run programs off a memory card. With such a great device memory shouldn't be an issue at all.
    PalmOS is currently named "Garnet" similar to how Windows users have "Media Center", "XP", etc. As for "Linux" experienced users such as myself will tell you that "Linux" really is referring to the open source kernel which is the OS similar to Windows use of their kernel "NT" which is closed source. Distribution developers add a frontend GUI desktop to lower the need for script commands in the terminal. Such as with Linux distributions for desktops, workstations and servers the main two leaders in GUI desktops are KDE and Gnome. Anyway, with the current Linux phones released I highly doubt you'll see ALP looking like the outdated Garnet but instead more modern and polished similar to current Linux distributions.

ALP reference:
    http://www.palmsource.com/press/2006...xplatform.html
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...o-screenshots/
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4663700447.html

Linux Mobile Phones:
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9423084269.html

What is Linux?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/14/2006 at 01:17 PM.
    There will be one more Garnet POS Treo, for the GSM networks. Who can say what OS the 2007 Treo's will run.

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    WM6 has already been announced ..last week..
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    WM6 has already been announced ..last week..
    CE 6 not WM 6 was announced last week

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsForDevices
    Ghangurde did not offer any hint of when a Windows Mobile 6 based on Windows CE 6 can be expected, however. "At some point in time in the future, you'll see Windows CE 6 be used as a base for the Mobile platform as well," he said.
    http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS9022042332.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    It would not be surprising to see a new WM6 by year's end.
    It would if this is to be believed:

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS7018650717.html

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsForDevices
    Apr. 25, 2006

Microsoft has revealed target ship dates and feature plans for "Crossbow" and "Photon," the next two versions of the Windows Mobile operating system. Crossbow, the first update to Windows Mobile 5.0, may ship to mobile phone and PDA vendors by Q4 of this year, and be fully released by mid-2007, Microsoft Watch reports.

According to the Microsoft Watch story, a Microsoft presentation at the company's Tech Days '06 conference in Switzerland last month suggests that Photon, which will follow about a year later, will include a new flexible shell, modular containers, and the "Yamazaki" Windows CE kernel.

Additionally, rumor has it that Photon will eliminate the need for two separate SDKs (software development kits) for the Smartphone and Pocket PC branches of Windows Mobile.

Sources have also suggested that Crossbow may be dubbed "Windows Mobile 5.0 Second Edition," while Photon, a more major change, could become "Windows Mobile 6.0."

The Mobile and Embedded Devices division is "moving toward more of an annual refresh schedule for its operating system releases," the Microsoft Watch story says.
    Based on this:

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1953763,00.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft watch
    "This adjustment should help enable OEMs to ship Crossbow devices throughout 2007 and provide necessary time to commercialize Photon devices for a 2008 release.
    So if Photon = WM6, WM6 devices are a couple of years away (if the above is correct).