Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    If that is, in fact, true, and there won't be a GSM version of the 700p, that would be a very very foolish move on Palm's part. I would have to re-think my upgrade from the 600 to, perhaps, another platform. I really don't want to do that, but if Palm drives me to it.......

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    If that is, in fact, true, and there won't be a GSM version of the 700p, that would be a very very foolish move on Palm's part. I would have to re-think my upgrade from the 600 to, perhaps, another platform. I really don't want to do that, but if Palm drives me to it.......

Andrew

Well, he did say that the successor would be the Palm LifeDrive running Palm 6.0... LifeDrive currently doesn't have phone capability, but by the time they're done with it, he says, it will.

Andrew
    When I was with IBM I gave an all day presentation at Kodak in Rochester. At the end of the day, my host came out on the stage and took my picture. He said, "I know that IBM does not permit you to accept gifts but I have this used camera." I said, "You know IBM gives away a lot of stuff, even been known to give away money. However, we never give away product. Without missing a beat and with perfect deadpan, he said, "Cameras are not product." He brought the house down.

Palm does not care what you do. You are not a customer. Carriers are customers. If you want to blame someone, blame the carriers.

(I understand that they are giving away wireless (BT) keyboards with Lifedrives. Really cool way to surf the web. Do you suppose a Lifedrive comes with Graffiti or Jot?)
    Last edited by whmurray; 05/16/2006 at 03:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess when I think of Europe, I think of England, France, Germany, where you can get UMTS.
    Just to clarify further, over here in the UK we tend to refer to UTMS as 3G.
    Can someone help me with this... EVDO vs WIFI. I've heard a few comments that basically talk about EVDO and Wifi being more or less the same in many ways. The argument is that Wifi isn;t really needed on Palm devices that have EVDO. But...

For individuals: Why would someone want to pay for EVDO when they can get free hotspot access either away from home or on their own home network and use WIFI. WIFI seems like a better deal to me for consumers.... FREE vs. NOT FREE.

For businesses: Why would a business pay for EVDO equipped devices and for the service when it can set-up an in-house network and access WIFI on the cheap.

WIFI and EVDO may be comparable in some ways.. but will someone explain how it's better and not just vastly more expensive? I'm ignorant here and need a little guidance. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego
    Can someone help me with this... EVDO vs WIFI. I've heard a few comments that basically talk about EVDO and Wifi being more or less the same in many ways. The argument is that Wifi isn;t really needed on Palm devices that have EVDO. But...
    They are both broadband. EVDO provides better coverage. You can access EVDO roughly where you can access Sprint or Verizon, Wi-Fi only on campuses or hot-spots. Wi-Fi offers higher speed but you may or may not notice depending upon your application. For many coverage trumps speed. Expect to pay $80 for unlimited data over EVDO. Many Wi-Fi networks are 'free,' i.e., unmetered. $6-/hr or $40-/mo. in Starbucks.

For individuals: Why would someone want to pay for EVDO when they can get free hotspot access either away from home or on their own home network and use WIFI. WIFI seems like a better deal to me for consumers.... FREE vs. NOT FREE.
    Wi-Fi is not free, except in the sense that the Internet is free; it often looks free to the end-user. For example, use of Wi-Fi looks free to the students of Dartmouth College but very expensive to their parents.

For businesses: Why would a business pay for EVDO equipped devices and for the service when it can set-up an in-house network and access WIFI on the cheap.
    Only because many of their employees are most productive when they are not "in-house." Sprint will sell them phones that use Wi-Fi when they are on site and switch to EVDO when they leave.

WIFI and EVDO may be comparable in some ways.. but will someone explain how it's better and not just vastly more expensive? I'm ignorant here and need a little guidance. Thanks.
    Both Verizon and Sprint are marketing EV-DO as an alternative broadband persistent connection to the Internet, that is, an $80/mo alternative to any and all other connections. I pay Earthlink for dial connect and e-mail, Cablevision for broadband persistent connection to my house, T-Mobile and other providers for Wi-FI in hotspots, hotels, and airports, and Cingular for unlimited data over GPRS/EDGE (I pay Cingular $40- per month for unlimited data and use it for both my Treo and my PC). I also often pay $10/day for wired or wireless connections in hotels, particularly if I can charge it to a client. In addition my clients pay for additional connections for me and some hotels and airports pay for my Wi-Fi. If I were satisfied to substitute EVDO for all those other connections, and forgo the additional convenience and performance that I get from all other connections, then I would save substantial money. For me, coverage and performance trump $$$. Note that, though your question implies that one might, one cannot substitute Wi-Fi for all the applications that one might do over EVDO. That said, if I could get EVDO for $40/mo rather than $80, I would add it to my capabilities.
    I'm happy.... that treo700p GSM didnt come out.
    SO I can stick to my 650GSM... i love my 650.... nothing compares and ... don't have to spend any money.......... just for 'new look'
    The treo 700p cdma probably will be a modeast success in USA. but if they release the treo 700p gsm with the same specs in europe and asia, it will be a complete flop.
    This is a direct quote from Andrew at Treonauts.com...

"Finally, for those who are keenly awaiting news of a GSM version of the Treo 700p I can tell you from very good sources that although there have been some delays due to difficulties producing a model to handle simultaneous voice and data calls for Cingularís high-speed HSPDA network we should see their model released within Q2 this year."

So if this is true (and Andrew has proved to be a very reliable source), then the GSM version of this phone should be out no later than the end of next month (June). I'll be waiting anxiously.
    Yippeee! I'm in! Now, if the unlocked version can be released at the same time, I'll be a very happy camper!

Andrew
    I agree 100% with Japorms - if Andrew at Treonauts is right, and this turns out to be the 700p with a GSM radio, that crash and burn you hear in the Euro market will be Palm ending its offshore hopes for good. The 650 series has pretty much flopped over there, and there's nothing really new in the 700p other than faster radios (whether EVDO of UTMS/HSDPA).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Just to clarify further, over here in the UK we tend to refer to UTMS as 3G.
    EDGE, EVDO, UTMS and HSDPA are all classified as "3G". 3G is used as a generic erm as in dial up versus broadband.....the latter can include DSL, cable, T1 and many other terms.

So if Palm releases the 800p (or any other number they piull outta da hat) on GSM instead of the 700p, and say twice the broadband speed of current EVDO and other added features / enhancements, this would be a bad thing because ... ?
    No - that would be a good thing! If it's a whole year later, then it's a bad thing! Europeans and those of us on GSM won't wait a whole additional year! I can only hope my 600 holds out that long!

Andrew
    No - that would be a good thing! If it's a whole year later, then it's a bad thing! Europeans and those of us on GSM won't wait a whole additional year! I can only hope my 600 holds out that long!

Andrew
    While I agree that Palm treats GSM customers shabbily, and that a year (which is incidentally what I have come to expect) is too long and too late, I have not seen anything else that is likely to lure me off my 650. That includes anything based on Lifedrive that does not have an integrated keyboard.
    Don't know how true this is but my local Cingular's rep is pretty knowledgeable. According to him, Cingular is concentrating on raising their network to a 3G level consistently. EDGE (2.5G) apparently is only a stop-gap. This is something Cingular had in the works for the longest. He did not deny that the 700P would be a Cingular offering. In fact he was very positive it would be, telling me he was scheduled for product training and the training emphasized Cingular's 3G network approach. He seems to think the 700P would be at least 6 months away...a Christmas offering. But Cingular is definitely continuing to upgrade the network. I do agree with other comments...if EDGE is all you have to look forward to for GSM 700P then stay with the 650.
    Last edited by brownievegas; 05/17/2006 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    EDGE, EVDO, UTMS and HSDPA are all classified as "3G". 3G is used as a generic erm as in dial up versus broadband.....the latter can include DSL, cable, T1 and many other terms.
    Umm...actually here EDGE is known as 2.5G. It doesn't conform to true 3G standards in relation to speed and such.
    Thanks for the rundown... Sounds like there is a place for each one... I appreciate your thoughtful response.
    Quote Originally Posted by brownievegas
    Umm...actually here EDGE is known as 2.5G. It doesn't conform to true 3G standards in relation to speed and such.
    Not quite....there is no such thing as 2.5G, not "officially" anyway. The 2.5G term is a colloquialism "invented" by journalists to refer to EDGE Class 1 thru 3 which is a "bolt on" ehancement to 2G . Cingular uses Class 4 and later Class 10 which is clearly and definitely 3G tho, since it is not quite as fast as other technologies classified as 3G, many still refer to it as 2.5G

Look at it this way....if you father was 2nd generation born in USA and you are third generation born in USA, who exactly would be 2.5 generation ?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1770749,00.asp

"The least expensive of the three 3G networks, EDGE was rolled out nationwide quickly because it overlies Cingular's existing GSM/GPRS network. Obtaining the increased data speeds merely required a software upgrade for base stations."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5G

While the terms "2G" and "3G" are officially defined, "2.5G" is not. It was invented for marketing purposes only
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 05/17/2006 at 12:28 PM.
    I'm with you Andrew. But unfortunately my 600 died (continuous reset loop now) about a month ago. Been stuck with a Blackberry from my company since then, because there is no way I'm shelling out $500 for an unlocked GSM 650 now, when there are new models out/coming out. But then again, I'm not waiting 6 months for a GSM version. Unfortunately I'm stuck with GSM because both myself and the company I work for use T-mobile, and without any details on how blackberry connect will work (i wish they would finally come out with that too!!!!), I have no idea if my company's blackberry server will allow connections from another network (ie. Sprint, Verizon, etc).
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast