Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That is a good reason, but for people who don't travel internationally, I think most of the perceived benefit of GSM is lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    Cingular does offer UMTS, but they only offer two 3g phones. One from LG with bluetooth and one from Samsung without.

They also offer HSDPA (faster UMTS) PC Cards.
    My understanding is that they offer only EDGE+ (not HSDPA or UMTS; it is impossible to tell from their web-site) and only in the markets where AT&T had rolled it out before the merger. While they say they are committed there have been no new markets in more than a year.
    That is a good reason, but for people who don't travel internationally, I think most of the perceived benefit of GSM is lost.
    Agreed. However, given the incentives that Palm has offered for those people to switch to CDMA, I would think that all those likely to switch have already done so.

I switched from Sprint to T-Mo to get GSM. Later switched to Cingular because the signal at my apartment was significantly better.
    Already done so? The Treo 650 isn't EVDO. Maybe by the time the 700p comes out on Cingular they will.

I'm under the impression that I can get HSDPA here in Chicago. See this article.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1916282,00.asp
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    For us Europeans it's GSM or nothing and if Palm are serious about increasing their share of the smartphone market here then they really need to release a new GSM model soon. Even the 700W isn't available in a GSM version yet
    Already done so? The Treo 650 isn't EVDO. .....
    True but the 650GSM is EDGE.
    Yes, but you Europeans have access to some sweet UMTS and an enourmous selection of UMTS handsets. Many of us wish we were in europe. I'd take that over a Treo any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    True but the 650GSM is EDGE.
    Which is why I think lots of GSM users will switch to CDMA if Palm only offers Edge and not UMTS or HSDPA on the 700.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Yes, but you Europeans have access to some sweet UMTS and an enourmous selection of UMTS handsets. Many of us wish we were in europe. I'd take that over a Treo any day.
    None of which fit in with my requirements hence I own a Treo 650
    Which is why I think lots of GSM users will switch to CDMA if Palm only offers Edge and not UMTS or HSDPA on the 700.
    I think that most of us will stay with the 650gsm. I prefer EDGEgsm to EV-DOcdma. I think that anyone who could be convinced to give up gsm for cdma has already done so.
    I haven't switched to CDMA because Verizon is a rip off and Sprint service has historically sucked in my area. I'm wondering how fast the 700p's will be with web surfing...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    It stands to reason that a GSM new Treo is under development and probably carrier testing in some markets. Its my guess though that its WinMob and not Garnet. I knnow that Palm had to make a heck of a hoop jump to do EDVO and make it nice, HSPDA/UTMS is a different beast, I don't think that Garnet is that kinda animal.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    None of which fit in with my requirements hence I own a Treo 650
    Any time you get the opportunity to use the word "hence", it's a good day. Next time, try to fit in "alas" as well.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I think that anyone who could be convinced to give up gsm for cdma has already done so.
    I reiterate that there are many people who needed a GSM 650, because they were worried that there calls would be shoved into voicemail while there phone was using the internet.

The CDMA 700 shouldn't have the shove to voicemail problem that the non-EVDO 650 & 600 had. Most business people can't afford to miss calls cause their phone polls for e-mail every 5 to 10 minutes and GSM was the only option that made sense.

I know I'm in that camp and thus not everyone who could be convinced to give up gsm for cdma has already done so. I'll miss the sim card feature, but since many of the phones I'd order from Europe will soon not be compatible, because of the differing UMTS frequencies. This feature has become significantly less valuable to me.
  15. dyn
    Years after the UMTS frequency auction in the Netherlands there is exactly 1 UMTS telco and only in the area of Amsterdam, Rotterdam. There is hardly any UMTS in neighbouring countries. Europe is still on GPRS and if you're really lucky there is EDGE (also only 1 telco in the Netherlands). So us Europeans hardly have any access to UMTS. UMTS is waaaaaaaay too expensive and there are not many phones with UMTS and there are no GSM/UMTS combinations which we need since 99% of Europe still is GSM.

If you're talking about the USA then you're right. In Europa people will switch to another brand (Sony Ericsson for example) because we don't have CDMA over here.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Yes, while we in the States have to wait until the FCC gets its act together to clear up all the political/red tape bullcrap that is preventing spectrum from opening up!
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn
    Years after the UMTS frequency auction in the Netherlands there is exactly 1 UMTS telco and only in the area of Amsterdam, Rotterdam. There is hardly any UMTS in neighbouring countries. Europe is still on GPRS and if you're really lucky there is EDGE (also only 1 telco in the Netherlands). So us Europeans hardly have any access to UMTS. UMTS is waaaaaaaay too expensive and there are not many phones with UMTS and there are no GSM/UMTS combinations which we need since 99% of Europe still is GSM.
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess when I think of Europe, I think of England, France, Germany, where you can get UMTS.

I do disagree with not enough handsets though. There are tons of UMTS handsets. There might not be that many basic UMTS handsets, but there are are plenty of Symbian handsets, Windows Mobile and even a RAZR V3x.

If you want a UMTS handset you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.
    I have also been told, today, from Cingular sources, that there will be no GSM version of the 700p. Instead, he says that there will be a palm 6.0 version of the Palm LifeDrive that will support UMTS that will be offered and he predicted a November release.
    Isn't that interesting?

No Qwerty Keyboard or will they add that. No Qwerty keyboard would be hard to believe.
    I am clearly running out of time faster than I am running out of money. I have ordered every Treo GSM as soon as anyone would take the order for 24hr shipment and always paid top dollar. However, each new Treo promised more speed. I am not sure that I would order a 700GSM that did not have a faster radio. That is particularly true since Cingular does not seem committed to rolling out faster radios. While they have picked up the AT&T EDGE+, they have not entered a new market since the merger and show no signs of doing so.
    Huh ? They had 20 major market areas up and running at the January CES demonstrating download speeds at 2,000 kbps....at that time Verizon had 60 MMAs and Sprint 45 though the EVDO web sites were "claiming" much more. On March 1st CNG had 51 .... haven't seen anything since.

The only question at this point is whether Palm will cripple us with HSDPA 1.8 instead of 3.6. The original rollout was suppossed to be 1.8 witha software upgarde in 2007 but when testing went as well as it did, CNG decided to do both at the same time.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast