1.    #1  
    I live in Arizona which doesn't participate in Daylight Savings Time. I have been checking out Planetarium and it's a pretty neat program but I'm having trouble getting the clock to work right. I have the timezone set to GMT -7 and my location as 32 deg N and 110 deg W. When I check the daylight savings time box I get the right time but it won't give me the right location of the thing I'm tracking. For example it tells me that sun is still above the horizon when it has obviously set. Anybody know how to get the time to work properly? If I can it to work I'll probabally register it.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    Hey Dave,

There's a couple things you'll want to do to make sure your Treo and Planetarium are playing nicely. Planetarium references it's clock and location against your Treo's clock and location (as defined in your system preferences), and I'm guessing that's what's messing up your time. (this post is lengthy, but that just because it's detailed... not because it's complex).

You can see this relationship by launching Planetarium and choosing Options -> Set Location from the menu system. In the Location window that appears, you'll see that the top part of the window show what the Palm's clock is registered as having, which (for you) should indicate a Time Zone of GMT -7 and Daylight Savings Time: Off (I've got a feeling your's might say "On"). The Calculated Location portion of the window should show your Latitude & Longitude for Tucson (32.2 deg North / 110.9 deg West), Time Zone of GMT -7, and the Daylight Savings Time box *not* checked.

Anyway, to make sure that both your Treo *and* Planetarium work properly, here's what to do:

Step 1: Set up the Treo's time zone and location for Tucson, AZ
    If you're like most folks, you probably just picked a city within your same time zone when you set up your Treo. In your case, that would likely be Denver, since that's only Mountain Time zone listed by default in the Palm preferences. Unfortunately, Denver does observe Daylight Savings Time, so that might be messing up Planetarium (and could cause problems with other "time zone aware" applications).

1. Go to the Treo's Prefs application, and go to the settings for Date & Time. In the Location drop down menu, scroll to the bottom of the cities list, and choose "Edit List..." Tap the "Add" button.
    2. In the list that appears, scroll way down to toward the bottom of the list and choose "USA (Mountain) Phoenix" from the list. In the Edit Location window that appears, rename "Phoenix" to "Tucson", and then tap on the Lat/Long digits in the location.
    3. A world map will now appear. At the top of the map are two boxes; tap the one labeled "Coords." In the new window that appears, set the Latitude to 32 Deg 13 Mins North, and Longitude to 110 Deg 56 Mins West (you'll notice that the Palm settings use Degrees & Minutes to establish location, while Planetarium uses Decimal Degrees). Tap "OK", and you'll return to the "Edit Location" screen. Verify that the "This location observes Daylight Savings Time" is *not* checked, and tap on "OK," then "Done" on the next screen.
    4. You're now back at the Date & Time Prefs screen. Choose "Tucson" from the Location drop-down list, and set the time to the correct hour, if need be. Tap Done when completed. Your Treo is now officially Tucson-centric!

Step 2: Set up Planetarium for Tucson, AZ
    Now that your Treo is set up correctly for Tucson, it's time to establish your location in Planetarium. Lucky for you, Tucson is already included as part of Planetarium's Cities database.
    1. Launch Planetarium, and choose Options -> Set Location from the menu system. In the window that appears, note that the Palm's Clock setting should show you as GMT -7, and Daylight Savings Time as "Off". Tap the "Pick..." button.
    2. In the city list that appears, choose "America" from the drop down menu in the upper-right of the screen. Then, scroll down the list to find Tucson, AZ (they have Tucson with a longitude of 111 degrees rather than 110.9 degrees, which isn't enough to make that big of a difference. However, if you wish to change it, you can do so by clicking the "Details.." button after selecting "Tucson, AZ" from the list). Tap on the "OK" button after tapping on "Tucson, AZ".
    3. You'll now be returned to the "Location" screen. By default, Planetarium initially enables Daylight Savings Time if it's supposed to be in effect for the majority of people. So, you'll need to *uncheck* the Daylight Savings Time Box. That box should only be checked if the desired location in Planetarium is *currently* observing Daylight Savings Time.
    4. So, your location screen should now have the Palm's Clock listed as GMT -7 with the Time Zone off, and the Calculated Location as being 32.2 deg North / 111 (or 110.9) Deg West, Time Zone GMT -7, and the Daylight Savings Time box *not* checked. Tap "OK" and you're set! On the main Planetarium screen (Compass view with the Circle / and Half Circle charts), you'll see your location in the lower left of the screen as Tucson, AZ -7h.

I went through these steps on my own Treo, and can assure you they work correctly. After setting my Treo and Planetarium to Tucson, Planetarium calculated the sunset for 7:14 PM for today (May 14, 2006). A quick check over to WeatherUnderground.com confirmed the same sunset time.

Keep in mind that if you should want to know the sunrise / sunset for locations away from Tucson, that you need to have the Daylight Savings Time box checked, if that location requires it at that moment. For example, you might be planning a trip to Moab, UT (38.6 Deg North / 109.6 Deg West) for a little slickrock adventure, and want to know the sunrise/sunset before you get there. Once you pick Moab from the list (you'll actually need to add in Moab, since it's not part of the default list), you'll need to make sure that the Daylight Savings Time box *is* checked in the location window (assuming it's during the summer. If it's winter, then you'll want to make sure that the Daylight Savings Time box is not checked, since they're not observing it at that time). If it's summer, the Compass view in Planetarium should show the location as "Moab, UT -6h" (in winter, it would be "Moab, UT -7h"... just like Tucson).

Basically, make sure that your Treo's Time Zone & Daylight Savings Time settings are correct for what you want system-wide, and then when you're using Planetarium, make sure that your desired location has the correct latitude/longitude/time zone setting *and* that the Daylight Savings Time box is checked or unchecked for time of the year you're trying to display within Planetarium (again, using the Moab example, right now Moab would need the box checked. If you selected a future date in Planetarium -- since Planetarium can show you future skies, not just the current day -- and that date was in November, then for Moab the Daylight Savings Time box would need to be *unchecked* since that November date wouldn't be observing Daylight Savings Time).

Hopefully this all makes sense. It's a shame that Planetarium doesn't automatically track DST for locations, but that is the only thing lacking in an otherwise amazing program. I've been using Planetarium for 5 years, and it's been a great addition to my outdoor adventures. It's been fantastic for figuring out sunrise/sunset (and twilight times) while backpacking, and then using later on at night to figure out what the various constellations are, or which planets are in the night sky. I've even used the compass view during the daytime to align the Treo with the sun, and determine which way "North" is!

Good luck with your Treo and Planetarium!
  3.    #3  
    Allocentric,
    Thank you so much taking the time to help me set up my Treo to make Planetarium work! With this setup do we lose the ability to have network time on the Treo? I assume that network time gives us the most accurate time possible. I could try using Time Copy; I used to use it on my Tungsten E. That way I could get my time updated from my PC which automatically syncs with the Atomic Clock program.
    I've learned alot about the equinoxes and the sun's travel by experimenting with Planetarium.
    Dave
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    Using Network Time updates still works, but how well it works really depends on your area. Around here in Michigan, it always seemed like the towers were giving off the wrong time, DST wasn't recognized, etc. Things would get really flaky when I'd travel toward Chicago (and therefore changing time zones). I found that my clock was more reliable when I controlled the time zone settings and clock.

I do use something like TimeCopy to my Treo up-to-date. I'm on a Mac, and time synchronization is a built-in feature of a HotSync replacement called The Missing Sync, so I use that. When I'm away from the computer (and want to make sure I've got the most accurate time), then I use the Atomic Clock Update feature that's part of Palmary Clock Wireless.

And, yes, Planetarium is quite the learning tool. I'm by no means even an amateur astronomer -- I don't even own a telescope (just some good binoculars) -- but, along with the sun's movements, I've learned quite a bit about the planets and other objects. I love how bringing up the Object Information window for Jupiter shows the arrangement of Jupiter's major moons at the bottom of the screen, or on the similar page for Saturn it shows exactly how the rings would appear when viewing through a telescope. Even the moon phases... lots of apps are out there show you the phases of the moon, but Planetarium is the only app I know of that actually tilts the shadow of the moon so that it appears at the same angle as your viewing location. Now that's what I call detail! Plus, it's fairly easy to add in new objects (like comets) as they are discovered.

By the way, Andreas Hofer (the developer) has lots of information available on using the program his Planetarium website and in the PDF manual.

Enjoy using Planetarium!