Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,
    What is EVDO?

What does it stand for?

What is the benefit of EVDO?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    EVOLUTION DATA OPTIMIZED. It is an all data cdma network and its benefit is highspeed data transfer.
    For us GSM users we have EDGE. I'm not up on the particulars of which is faster, but the GSM highspeed wireless is EDGE.
    It is the high speed data network for CDMA. For GSM the equivalent would be UMTS or the even faster hspda.
    Grtz
    Wouter
    for more: www.evdoinfo.com
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    sprint and verizon = EVDO

cingular and t-mobile = HSPDA
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I never tried EDGE but I heard EVDO is faster. I really don't know though.

EVDO is so fast for me I don't even use Wifi.
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
  8.    #8  
    If I have a Sprint Treo 650, can I obtain EVDO?
    what is google?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    I went to that link, and I do have one of the Dell's in the link. What does this mean? I know this is a very broad question, but I'm reading all about this EVDO and dont even know exactly what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathandunn
    If I have a Sprint Treo 650, can I obtain EVDO?
    Hi Nathan !!

This was covered extensively in the forum about a year ago -- the 650 cannot be upgraded to EV-DO -- it requires a different chip set.

Sorry, Perry.
  12.    #12  
    AWE Crap! I just read an article, EVDO allows me to connect my wireless Laptop through my phone?

However I understan I cannot obtain EVDO?

Thats a shame, a dang shame!

Thanks Perry.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    what is google?
    Dutch that is SO funny, I can't stop laughing, please stop my stomach hurts, please quit. You are so witty, I bet all middle school teachers think you are too funny!
    I went to that link, and I do have one of the Dell's in the link. What does this mean? I know this is a very broad question, but I'm reading all about this EVDO and dont even know exactly what it is.
    I am not sure what your question is -- EV-DO is a type of data transmission that is faster than the current method on CDMA networks. If your device is EV-DO capable -- it will automatically (I believe) use that speed -- if it is not -- the backup (slower) method is still there. EV-DO on Sprint is being deployed in major metropolitan areas (for instance Grand Rapids, MI is one "big" EV-DO hot spot, but out lying areas do not have it).

Cheers, Perry.
    AWE Crap! I just read an article, EVDO allows me to connect my wireless Laptop through my phone?

However I understan I cannot obtain EVDO?

Thats a shame, a dang shame!

Thanks Perry.
    Sprint and Verizon (and probably the other carriers on their high spped type of networks) are offering "Air Cards" that provide EV-DO speed wireless internet access for laptops -- at $59 to $79 per month. PowerVision(EV-DO) for the Treo 700P on Sprint should be around $15 or $20 per month. You can use your Treo as a modem for your laptop -- but the carriers are starting to watch that type of usage.

Cheers, Perry.
    Dutch that is SO funny, I can't stop laughing, please stop my stomach hurts, please quit. You are so witty, I bet all middle school teachers think you are too funny!
    shucks How did you know I taught middle school

but seriously...google is really cool. You can find all sorts of stuff there...

EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Click on the thumb...

Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 05/13/2006 at 10:02 PM. Reason: looks like Perry lost his thumb :)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    shucks How did you know I taught middle school

but seriously...google is really cool. You can find all sorts of stuff there...

EVDO
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47
    For us GSM users we have EDGE. I'm not up on the particulars of which is faster, but the GSM highspeed wireless is EDGE.

I can't recall where I had seen the speed and bandwidth graph but basically for now EVDO is faster while you're in a major city or near a central switch though EDGE is constant no matter where you travel on the network. So there's less chance of dropped data connection with EDGE over EVDO because the bandwidth is constant and less likelyhood of a bottleneck with EDGE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO
    Stupid question:

Is EVDO considered a protocol? I'd like to think of it as a standard implemented over the TCP/IP stack, but I can see how one could make an arguement for a protocol...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast