Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Does anyone know if the T700p will use the very same hardware accessories as the T650? Specifically, I'd hoping to not have to replace my Seidio desktop charger and my Seidio Car Charger/GPS combo...
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    That reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap. This exchange about them being the loudest band because their amps go to 11...enjoy. And yes this may be one of the greatest movies ever made...

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

I thought the same thing when I read 6 bars versus 4. But this goes to 6.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Let's concentrate on the mention of a more sensitve chip, rather than how many bars they will be splitting the signal strength range into. . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Fairly much what I expected, from the Treonauts February summary (primarily based on n4cer's document).

That summary said "great reception" which I was taking with a grain of salt -- until the 1src post said a new -- more sensitive chip and a display that split the reception strength into 6 bars, rather than 4. This could be a big plus.

The battery power comment is interesting, as well. Is it lower power consumption, or a stronger battery, or both?

It seems that they have done alot of tweaks, incremental yes, but still -- in sum -- it appears very promising. How did they get FrankenGarnet to stand on it's head and do EV-DO? This gives me great hope -- that if they are writing their own -- next generation Palm/Linux or whatever OS -- that they have the right people doing it.

Cheers, Perry.
    It's not really a frankengarnet thing. The OS simply has to see a "modem" hardware device and use it as such. "modem" meaning voice or data. Yes, there are some instructions in the OS for this...but more liken to a driver than any major OS change.
    No, no, no, Perry. You don't understand. The 700 goes to 6. That's a whole 2 more bars than the 650.

I am sooooo excited!
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    As many of you probably already know, Palm's site now has an official announcement:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00p/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    No, no, no, Perry. You don't understand. The 700 goes to 6. That's a whole 2 more bars than the 650.

I am sooooo excited!

LOL

(1/6th of the pie vs. 1/4 of the pie. . . .pie is the same size for you folks following along. . . .)
  8.    #48  
    6 is more than 4
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    6 is more than 4
    But I'll bet that my 4 bars are bigger (fatter) than your 6 skinny ones. So who's better now? Fatter means more are for better reception...more surface area than your skinny ones. So nyah.

(Before someone goes off the deep end...I know it's the chip and not the bars that makes reception...just trying to formulate a joke here people.)
    Actually, it's a whole 50% more.Wow!

I really hope this chip is better. Though I get fairly great reception everywhere, there are a few isolated areas in my hospital where I get blocked. The hospital installed repeaters, but only for Cingulair/AT&T. Those lucky folks get reception everywhere, the basement, elevators, etc.
    Then again, they don't have the 700
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    But I'll bet that my 4 bars are bigger (fatter) than your 6 skinny ones. So who's better now? Fatter means more are for better reception...more surface area than your skinny ones. So nyah.

(Before someone goes off the deep end...I know it's the chip and not the bars that makes reception...just trying to formulate a joke here people.)
    Actually, the surface area on the 6 skinny bars is higher!

I am sooooo excited!
    This is beginning to sound like one of those TV commercials featuring Senator Dole...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Actually, the surface area on the 6 skinny bars is higher!
    Did you measure them with a micrometer? How do you know they have more? Are they higher or shorter? What is the total surface area of each bar?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    This is beginning to sound like one of those TV commercials featuring Senator Dole...
    Wait...who is erectile dysfunctional?

EDIT: Munk hasn't been posting...had to fill in for him temporarily.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/15/2006 at 09:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    "But daddy! I need longer battery life! Please can I have it? Puh-leeeeeeeeeze? *puppy dog eyes*"
    Sorry Perry, I think the avatar will be sporting the bigger batt. How could you ever turn down a face like that? Especially one that uses daddy and puppy-dog eyes in connection with each other? I mean...I'd probably end up giving her mine.

EDIT: No, that's not an offer to give mine up...just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by opensecret
    As many of you probably already know, Palm's site now has an official announcement:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00p/index.html
    and apparently it is already locked up - all I get is a blank page with the menu on the top and the search box on the left.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    bubbatex.... did you scroll down?

and as to this " The VersaMail email client supports sending and receiving up to 5MB of total attachment data per message. Because the VersaMail email client uses base 64-encoding when sending attachments, total raw attachment size supported will vary. "

I like that they upped the Blazer limit to 5MB, but wonder why there is a limit at all.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    shortly after I posted and then refreshed a bit - it popped! I was not a scroll, it just was not loading....
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    It's not really a frankengarnet thing. The OS simply has to see a "modem" hardware device and use it as such. "modem" meaning voice or data. Yes, there are some instructions in the OS for this...but more liken to a driver than any major OS change.

Creating a whole new 1xEvDo telephony stack as Palm did for the 700p is NO small task FYI!! There is a lot of underneath plumbing that Palm has done on the 700p like this including the various impressive 3rd party lisencing efforts like streaming wmv support via Kinoma that should not be discounted. Hell the lack of multitasking is also one of the reasons why it is so difficult for palm to release a frankengarnet version of UMTS treo!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Creating a whole new 1xEvDo telephony stack as Palm did for the 700p is NO small task FYI!! There is a lot of underneath plumbing that Palm has done on the 700p like this including the various impressive 3rd party lisencing efforts like streaming wmv support via Kinoma that should not be discounted. Hell the lack of multitasking is also one of the reasons why it is so difficult for palm to release a frankengarnet version of UMTS treo!!!
    Agreed...after re-reading my post I did kind of belittle the process...not meaning to. The beauty is in the telephony stack...and yes no small feat.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast