Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FROM TREONAUTS:

Treo 700p News Ahead Of Schedule...
    It’s funny how every time a new Treo smartphones is just about to be released there is at least one news organisation which prints the news ‘by accident’ a few days ahead of time…

For the forthcoming Treo 700p the award goes to TechWorld which yesterday posted an article entitled “Palm version of Treo 700 arrives”. The article was pulled in a nanoflash but not quite fast enough for a smart Treonaut to save it to PDF.

Among others the article confirmed that the Treo 700p:

will be officially announced this Monday, May 15
    will benefit from high-speed EV-DO wireless data connectivity
    is only the second of a total of four new devices Palm will launch this year
    will have a 1.3 megapixel camera
    128MB of memory
    a 312MHz Intel XScale processor
    Dial-Up Networking (DUN) as standard
    Leaving the best for last the article then confirms the rumours that the Treo 700p would be released both by Sprint and Verizon. The blind spot is still Cingular which we suspect will release a brand new GSM, PalmOS-based ‘slim and antenna-less’ Treo smartphone ‘soon’…

However, I expect to see a LOT more information about the Treo 700p starting Monday. Those who have seen the full specs tell me that there is quite a bit to be excited about – I can’t wait!

Techworld article states 700p as fact, and quote Palm [TreoCentral Forum via gadgetsonthego]

Treonauts are always ahead of schedule…

Posted by Andrew on May 12, 2006 at 01:52 PM in TREO 700p | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack (0)

Perry:
    I think the 128mb of memory is total -- I believe we will be in the 64mb to 52mb range for user programs. . . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    6 Bars reception display with new chip for more senesitivity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo . . . . . .

Home PalmOS
    Rumor: 700p first thoughts

Last update: 05-12-2006 Submitted by Joel

An anonymous source just sent in the following details of the 700p that could be released on Monday. No pictures though.

"A few quick observations (many you may already be aware of, I'm sure)

1) Web browsing via EV-DO is like going from dialup to broadband. This is worth the price of admission right there.
    2) 62 MB internal RAM
    3) Comes with a bunch of nice apps - ptunes 3.06 is one
    4) You already know about the bigger keys and much more functional 5-way button thingie. Considerably easier to use, I'd say.
    5) Battery life is supposed to be improved. (as if that ever was an issue).
    6) Sound quality seems better and louder without VolumeCare
    7) Much faster display due to faster CPU - has a noticeably peppier feel.
    8) Camcorder and Camera much nicer - improved resloution
    9) Camera optics are a little smaller (take up a little less real estate on the back)
    10) Beaming opening is about 50% smaller
    11) Side switches are flat, not curved. I like them.
    12) Speaker grill is bigger (square) instead of roundish
    13) No software compatibility issues encountered in testing
    14) Very stable. Currently in 8th firmware rev
    15) Power cycling (removing/replacing battery) remembers previous operational state - if phone was on, it will turn on automatically.
    16) Time syncs with (more accurate) time server, rather than network - I noticed about a 20 second difference between my phone and the 700

No pics were allowed, I'm afraid. To prevent such things, there were special black marks on a variety places around the screen, which pretty much precluded anything but a close-up of the actual screen.

I should add that the signal strength indicator has six little bars instead of the current four. The engineer said that the 700 uses a different chip for signal reception, which is more sensitive than the 650.

I'm also not exactly sure of the technical details behind the better timekeeping. I may have gotten it backwards. Suffice it to say that it is supposed be a considerably more accurate time keeper."

Last March 19, 2006, we posted a Sprint 700p picture. The 700p, according to our source, will not initially be offered by Verizon.
    I was told by a source that Sprint will have a two month exclusive on the 700p???
    at&t iPhone3G
    FROM TREONAUTS:

Treo 700p News Ahead Of Schedule...
    Perry, All the specs are what you've expected, no surprises?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I was told by a source that Sprint will have a two month exclusive on the 700p???
    To counter-quote Perry:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Perry, All the specs are what you've expected, no surprises?
    Fairly much what I expected, from the Treonauts February summary (primarily based on n4cer's document).

That summary said "great reception" which I was taking with a grain of salt -- until the 1src post said a new -- more sensitive chip and a display that split the reception strength into 6 bars, rather than 4. This could be a big plus.

The battery power comment is interesting, as well. Is it lower power consumption, or a stronger battery, or both?

It seems that they have done alot of tweaks, incremental yes, but still -- in sum -- it appears very promising. How did they get FrankenGarnet to stand on it's head and do EV-DO? This gives me great hope -- that if they are writing their own -- next generation Palm/Linux or whatever OS -- that they have the right people doing it.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/13/2006 at 10:05 PM.
    The above quote was from the article I quoted. . . . . . not me:

I think it will be a joint announcement on Monday -- both Sprint and Verizon.

Cheers, Perry.

Oh I know it wasn't you Perry... no biggie...

I am crossing my fingers for simultaneous as well. The two month exclusive for Sprint, if true, would not be a huge deal for me at least though, since my upgrade window with Verizon does not kick in until August 4th anyway... so I have to wait all summer to get it.... darn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    That reminds me of the movie Spinal Tap. This exchange about them being the loudest band because their amps go to 11...
    I was just going to post this when I saw your post. Yeah, I guess SIX bars
    are better than four bars. - mvk
    Game over!
  8.    #28  
    It's 128 MB of RAM 60 available to user. Bluetooth 1.2
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrfresh
    If all the above is true, that more than makes it worth my while to upgrade to the 700p from the 650.

A new receiver? More sensitivity? I agree with Perry, oooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Faster display (I assume this means when jumping between apps, etc) will make things nicer too - that was the one thing I didn't like going from the 600 to the 650.

I'm genuinely excited for this phone now. The only question is, how do I convince my wife that its worth spending nearly $700 on?

get her 1 too
    Leaving the best for last the article then confirms the rumours that the Treo 700p would be released both by Sprint and Verizon. The blind spot is still Cingular which we suspect will release a brand new GSM, PalmOS-based slim and antenna-less Treo smartphone soon.
    This is the impression I got from the Palm rep I spoke to during the Rogers Manufacturer Road Show recently where there was reference to there not being much interest in the Treo 700P. Though there has been interest in seeing what the Treo codenamed "Hollywood" will provide. Especially with a good possibility of offering 3G, increased memory, higher resolution camera, internal antenna and maybe ALP instead of Windows Mobile. Anyway from the road show I took it that there will be no Treo 700P at least for Rogers customers due to customers see little improvement over the Treo 650. Canadians are not cheap but we do like more bang for our buck, so to speak. Some things that consumers have been asking for which Palm seems to ignore are things like Bluetooth Voice Activated Dialing which can be found in competitor devices with out the need to purchase additional third party software. Even what's included in the box is not impressive when put in comparison to companies like Sony Ericsson and Motorola which include stereo headphones, unlike Palm that likes to include the single earpiece wired headset. It's almost like Palm knew there would be problems with the audio jack not providing stereo 100% of the time instead of mono sound most of the time so they put a mono headset in the box. Hey I know it's a far fetched thought but just venting Anyway point is we pay more than most consumers for our Treo over customers purchasing other smartphones. So the least Palm can do is not be so cheap on what they provide not only with included software/features but also hardware in the box.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/14/2006 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    May 15th is the perfect day for an announcement, my birthday
    and May 16th for the release of the phone, my birthday.
    The wait is nearing an end for some, shame us GSM user have got to go through the pain of seeing people playing with their new toys
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I am on Tmobile. I thought of upgrading my 650 to a 700p. But there is no reason to. Memory is awsome. But, I can't think of a single thing the 700p can do that mine can't (other than EVDO. But, then again GSM doesn't use EVDO)..
    What is the mAh of the stock 700P battery? I guess it would be the same as the 700W, what was that?

Avatar gets the stock battery, 2200mAh will move to the 700P . . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/14/2006 at 07:54 PM.
    What is the mAh of the stock 700P battery? I guess it would be the same as the 700W, what was that?

Avatar gets the stock battery, 2200mAh will move to the 700P . . . . .
    "But daddy! I need longer battery life! Please can I have it? Puh-leeeeeeeeeze? *puppy dog eyes*"

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  16.    #36  
    I am going to use my Seidio 2400 battery on my 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I am going to use my Seidio 2400 battery on my 700p.
    Wouldn't it be funny if it didn't fit, though? *ducks as everyone throws their old Treos at him* Fine, it wouldn't be funny. Gawd!

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  18.    #38  
    No it will definitely fit, it fits the 700w, so it will fit the 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Fairly much what I expected, from the Treonauts February summary (primarily based on n4cer's document).

That summary said "great reception" which I was taking with a grain of salt -- until the 1src post said a new -- more sensitive chip and a display that split the reception strength into 6 bars, rather than 4. This could be a big plus.

The battery power comment is interesting, as well. Is it lower power consumption, or a stronger battery, or both?

It seems that they have done alot of tweaks, incremental yes, but still -- in sum -- it appears very promising. How did they get FrankenGarnet to stand on it's head and do EV-DO? This gives me great hope -- that if they are writing their own -- next generation Palm/Linux or whatever OS -- that they have the right people doing it.

Cheers, Perry.
    Congratulations - your BB card is on its way.

Love the quote about 6 bars on the reception counter. In keeping with Palm's philosphy, I now have a 158.99 liter gas tank in my Suburban and can drive at 112.65 kph on the Interstate. It's all in the scale you wish to use, results are the same.

With such monumental improvements between the 650 and 700, I think your 2/28/08 pick is already starting to look weak.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Speaking of batteries, will a 650 battery fit?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast