Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I am doubting the wifi driver support on the 700P.. can someone please confirm or deny?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...-gets-a-price/

Post #2 says there is wifi support.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    OK, I am doubting the wifi driver support on the 700P.. can someone please confirm or deny?

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/0...-gets-a-price/

Post #2 says there is wifi support.

Read it again....

Quote Originally Posted by engadget
    2. Maybe a steeper price than hoped, but if it adds 4g SD card support, wifi driver, more memory, and fast data then it may be worth it to a lot of people. On the Sprint side you may lose some of Verizon's coverage and the ability to change plans on the fly, but you also lose potential Verizon tiered charges for "unlimited" data based on usage, their larger early contract breaking fees, and Verizon's policies against using the data connection for streaming media. You also probably get better rates for the data plan (TBDTBDTBD), $and$ $you$ $might$ $even$ $get$ $to$ $use$ $it$ $for$ $DUN$ ($dial$ $up$ $networking$) $with$ $Sprint$.

All sources as of yet say no wi-fi...who knows, we can hope can't we. Maybe on the 900
  3.    #3  
    ALRIGHT.

thanks for the clarification.

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw wifi. so yup, i am.

Still EVDO will be sufficient for my needs. =)
    I was told from someone who has the 700p that there is no wifi card support.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I bet that GSM "Hollywood" has wifi..............
    It's the middle of 2006 and a $600+ pda/phone still does not have wi-fi.

So lame it's not even funny.
    OK, Jimmie, seeing as you apparently have a loose-lipped connection, I think you should start up a new Q&A thread where you can relay our questions back to your contact and then post the answers back here.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    mikec, I think the problem has a lot to do with the Palm OS' lack of true multitasking support and the user-unfriendly experience that adding Wi-Fi to a single-tasking Treo would provide. Here's how I'd imagine it would work at best:
    1) You have the phone on, ready to receive calls.
    2) You insert the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically disables the phone connection (a 5 second or so wait with my Treo 650).
    3) You do what you want with the phone functionality turned off. While in this mode, of course, you will not be able to receive any phone calls.
    4) You eject the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically turns the phone back on (but should it always do this automatically? This could be debatable).
    I would agree that the OS is the limiting factor.

When you run a OS that is nearly TEN YEARS old, you're bound to have problems.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    There is always the "sled"
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    mikec, I think the problem has a lot to do with the Palm OS' lack of true multitasking support and the user-unfriendly experience that adding Wi-Fi to a single-tasking Treo would provide. Here's how I'd imagine it would work at best:
    1) You have the phone on, ready to receive calls.
    2) You insert the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically disables the phone connection (a 5 second or so wait with my Treo 650).
    3) You do what you want with the phone functionality turned off. While in this mode, of course, you will not be able to receive any phone calls.
    4) You eject the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically turns the phone back on (but should it always do this automatically? This could be debatable).
    You're close, but if Shadowmite's hard work and experience with Frankengarnet on the 650 showed, you'll have to do a soft reset after pulling the WiFi card out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    There is always the "sled"
    Or you can get a 6700 with wifi.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

Hey! I didn't say it was a perfect solution...just that is WAS a solution.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Hey! I didn't say it was a perfect solution...just that is WAS a solution.
    That wasn't a dig at you at all hoss; the real redeeming social value of the Treo is its form factor, and bolting a sled on it it like hitching a trailer to a vette so you can carry more luggage than under the hatch.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That wasn't a dig at you at all hoss; the real redeeming social value of the Treo is its form factor, and bolting a sled on it it like hitching a trailer to a vette so you can carry more luggage than under the hatch.

I Agree 100%. I did not take it as a "dig"

I give the community 6 months before a hack is available to use a wifi card with the 700p

I don't see why they can't fix the soft reset thing. But how does the sled work? Do you have to turn the phone functionality off to use it?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    But how does the sled work? Do you have to turn the phone functionality off to use it?
    No! You can use both at once
    I should also note that you can be browsing the Internet and still receive calls.
    Read entire review at the link below

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/671-1.htm

http://store.treocentral.com/content...59-60--400.htm

Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    Did you mean "you bet the thing that Palm says is no longer called Hollywood has WiFi"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast