Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    When you run a OS that is nearly TEN YEARS old, you're bound to have problems.
    So, Linux is based on Unix, which was released before the beginning of time, but that doesn't have any problems keeping up with the latest technology.
    You know, not everyone thinks WiFi is such a big deal. EVDO is plenty fast, and much more widely available. The only place I spend much time that has WiFi is my house, and if I'm home I'll use my laptop or desktop to access the 'net, not my Treo.

So I couldn't care less about WiFi.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You know, not everyone thinks WiFi is such a big deal. EVDO is plenty fast, and much more widely available. The only place I spend much time that has WiFi is my house, and if I'm home I'll use my laptop or desktop to access the 'net, not my Treo.

So I couldn't care less about WiFi.
    Some people will not have access to EDVO for a while.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    First, Linux does not equal POS. They were written for two different purposes. Imagine trying to run a 1999 version of linux with no updated driver support? It wouldn't be pretty.

POS is a dead OS - as Paxton said in "Aliens", "Game over man!"

We can only pray for the Linux version and improvement in Windows mobile.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    First, Linux does not equal POS. They were written for two different purposes. Imagine trying to run a 1999 version of linux with no updated driver support? It wouldn't be pretty.
    So Palm haven't done anything to enhance POS in the last 7 years then
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    This exactly proves the point that the OS has nothing to do with the ability. It's Palm's own laziness.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    The underlying POS has stayed the same for many years. The only updates were:

- Color
    - Hi-Res
    - Networking stack (IP and BT)

That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    No! You can use both at once
    Cool. I never read that review, because I had/have no interest in a bulky sled. But if they can get it working with the sled, I don't see why they can't get it working with an SDIO Wi-Fi card. Here's hoping that the reason they never delivered it with the 650 was something 650-specific and it's been fixed with the 700p.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I was told from someone who has the 700p that there is no wifi card support.

Say Jimmie the day is almost upon us! In your gallery of Palm P pictures what is the application that the Palm is running on the 2nd picture? Is this a pretty valid source that released the pictures and specs to you?

I know in the past when Palm has released handhelds on Monday, that they would go up on the web site after 12 MN. Then telesales would start taking orders after MN. Do you think that will be the case tomorrow?

Thanks

Should be a lot of activity on Treo Central's Web site this week!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    mikec, I think the problem has a lot to do with the Palm OS' lack of true multitasking support and the user-unfriendly experience that adding Wi-Fi to a single-tasking Treo would provide. Here's how I'd imagine it would work at best:
    1) You have the phone on, ready to receive calls.
    2) You insert the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically disables the phone connection (a 5 second or so wait with my Treo 650).
    3) You do what you want with the phone functionality turned off. While in this mode, of course, you will not be able to receive any phone calls.
    4) You eject the Wi-Fi card and the Treo automatically turns the phone back on (but should it always do this automatically? This could be debatable).
    I agree with Scott here...The reason why there (probably) is no wifi driver support for the 700p is b/c of the limitations of the PalmOS for seamless radio switching found on other plaforms like WM etc. For example, on triwirless WM5 devices like MDA4 etc I understand, the device can seamlessly and automatically switch from one type of radio to another without losing converage etc. This would be extremely difficult on FrankenGarnet I suspect. One of the many pitfalls Palmos users have to deal with since the failure of Cobalt alas...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    If it's purely down to the OS then why doesn't the 700W have built in Wi-Fi?
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    It doesn't have built in wifi, but you can use the wifi card with it.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    That would just make the unit more expensive. Besides, why should they put it in for a little more money, when they can make more profit from your buying their own wifi card?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    That would just make the unit more expensive.
    Obviously, but the Treo's are hardly budget phones plus there are other smartphones with Wi-Fi built in that are cheaper than the 700W
    The Treo 700p will DEFINITELY not support the wifi card.You'll get an explanation from Palm soon.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/14/2006 at 09:56 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, I hope this means that Palm is going to pleasantly surprise us with built-in Wi-Fi or some other invisible method of adding it (internal slot for proprietary Wi-Fi upgrade). The sled is a non-solution, IMO.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    To think that the lack of Wi-Fi is anything other than Palm and the cell phone vendors intentionally leaving it out is burying your head in the sand. The OS (lame and hobbled as it is) can handle it. It is the wallets of Verizon, Sprint, etc., that can not. They say to Palm, "Jump!" And Palm simply asks, "How high?"
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    EVDO is plenty fast, and much more widely available. The only place I spend much time that has WiFi is my house, and if I'm home I'll use my laptop or desktop to access the 'net, not my Treo.
    My main reason for wifi is to have it available when I'm outside of the US. Almost everyone I've been on vacation in the last 3 years has had free wifi access at the hotel, but costs something like $10 an hour to use their dial-up computers (or something equally insane). Now I can bring a laptop, but it's pretty bulky when all I want to do is check e-mail or get a real-time baseball score. It's also difficult to secure a laptop when on vacation - they tend not to fit in hotel safes.

Connecting to a home network to stream music seems a lot easier over wifi. It seems weird that I'd have to open my computer up to outside world and have my phone contact a cell tower, bounce that up to a satellite and back down.

It's also partly the principle of it all. Back when I got the Treo 600, it said "wifi support" ON THE BOX. Here's the third generation (including that one) and they still can't do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    To think that the lack of Wi-Fi is anything other than Palm and the cell phone vendors intentionally leaving it out is burying your head in the sand. The OS (lame and hobbled as it is) can handle it. It is the wallets of Verizon, Sprint, etc., that can not. They say to Palm, "Jump!" And Palm simply asks, "How high?"
    Then why would Verizon allow the Palm 700W to have wifi? Obviously the carriers can handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Then why would Verizon allow the Palm 700W to have wifi? Obviously the carriers can handle it.
    Because Windows has many WiFi cards and drivers already available for their OS and it would have been a pain to actively disable SDIO WiFi support for the 700w. So they let it go...but trust me they'd rather it not work.

With the 700p, WiFi support is 100% within the control of Palm and so at the request of the phone vendors, they just don't release drivers for their own SDIO WiFi card and since the source code for all this stuff is closed, no one else gets to write drivers either. We all lose except the cell phone vendors who sell more data plans.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast