Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hansbuehler
    so I think the evdo thing with palmvnc is better than 1xrtt, but to me it wasn't a pleasurable browsing experience.
    Would it reduce the amount you have to scroll if you reduced your desktop resolution?

Does PalmVNC allow you to scroll via the 5-way?
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Would it reduce the amount you have to scroll if you reduced your desktop resolution?

Does PalmVNC allow you to scroll via the 5-way?
    Increasing a higher resolution would reduce the amount you have to scroll. The smaller you make things, the more real estate you can cover on a page.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Increasing a higher resolution would reduce the amount you have to scroll. The smaller you make things, the more real estate you can cover on a page.
    Really? I would have thought there would be less scrolling when viewing a 800*600 desktop on the treo's 320*320 screen then say trying to view a 1280*1020 resolution.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Really? I would have thought there would be less scrolling when viewing a 800*600 desktop on the treo's 320*320 screen then say trying to view a 1280*1020 resolution.
    The higher res has more pixels within the screen size, for starters, would make you text smaller, allowing more of the paragraph to apear in the selected screen size limiting scrolling. A low res would give you the big text which would get less text in a selected screen size causing more scrolling to the page. If we are on the same page, I am pretty sure that is how it goes.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    The higher res has more pixels within the screen size, for starters, would make you text smaller, allowing more of the paragraph to apear in the selected screen size limiting scrolling. A low res would give you the big text which would get less text in a selected screen size causing more scrolling to the page. If we are on the same page, I am pretty sure that is how it goes.
    I think the two of you are correct in your own ways. It depends upon how you utilize PalmVNC.

To ink883's point, if you reduce your desktop to 800*600 you do have much less scrolling to do when you map the screen at a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, but then you're limiting the display space of the server desktop, so you'll wind up scrolling in the server desktop instead. Just think of why you usually use a desktop that's larger than the 800*600 resolution ...

To KStewart's point, if you shrink the entire desktop to match the Treo's screen, you would see more "stuff" on a higher resolution desktop, but it would be that much more shrunk down, so a 1280*1024 would be virtually illegible on a 320*320 screen. You could also leave the ratio at 1:1 or 1:2, but then you'd have more scrolling to do on the client Treo side to be able to see all that server desktop space.

KStewart, you may also be confusing the relative screen size with the screen resolution. At the direct ratio's (1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4) the size of the server's desktop has no impact on it's display in PalmVNC's client window - if you're at 1:1, you'll see a pixel-to-pixel match that's exactly what's inside the 320*320 window on your desktop and it'll be the same thing whether you set your desktop to 800*600 or 1280*1024. Think of it this way, imagine that your video card can only drive your LCD monitor at a direct pixel match, so that if you have a 1600*1200 monitor, you could get a desktop at 1600*1200 that covers the entire screen, but if you bumped down to a 800*600 resolution, your video card would only light up the upper left corner of your monitor and leave the rest of monitor blank. With this setup (which is the way PalmVNC treats the view at direct ratios), if you open up a program and sized your program's window to 800*600, the program would look identical on this monitor whether you're in 800*600 or 1600*1200.

Back to the original point, pick your own poison: do you want less scrolling on the client and more on the server or more scrolling on the client and less on the server? I think that you're probably better off at a higher resolution on the server side because the bulk of the work of the client is in updating the view inside your chosen window. If you scroll the server side, you force many more updates to the client to render the current state of the window than when you move your window around an essentially static screen. You've got me thinking now, and I may try to use PalmVNC to watch a window with my constantly updating stock ticker and see how well it handles that ...

I actually installed PalmVNC (on my Treo 600) along with UltraVNC (on my WinXP desktop) today, and the 5-way does work to automatically re-position your client window onto your server desktop. It is extremely painful to deal with the 160*160 Treo 600 screen (which is why I'm excited to be moving soon to a 700p), but my biggest complaint right now is dealing with mouse click functionality and/or cursor/special key functionality. The four hardware keys are thankfully available, and I currently have them mapped to the cursor keys. At the moment, I don't have full mouse functionality, like I haven't figured out left-click and hold to mimic a drag. I suppose these are all good reasons to learn how to keystroke your way around a desktop, but there are things that a mouse can do that can't be done any other way, so it's still not ideal ...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    I think that you're probably better off at a higher resolution on the server side because the bulk of the work of the client is in updating the view inside your chosen window. If you scroll the server side, you force many more updates to the client to render the current state of the window than when you move your window around an essentially static screen. You've got me thinking now, and I may try to use PalmVNC to watch a window with my constantly updating stock ticker and see how well it handles that ...
    What you are saying makes sense. Thank you for the explaination. Please post back here regarding your experience with the stock ticker.

BTW have you tried MobleTS? If so how does it compare to PalmVNC?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I haven't tried out MobileTS, but it appears to work with Windows XP more directly (you just need to enable the Terminal Services and/or Remote Desktop functionality thats bundled with XP). I tend to favor open source solutions though, which is why PalmVNC and UltraVNC were more appealing to me. MobileTS does have offer a trial period though, so I might check it out on 700p.
    What about resizing the desktop browser window to 320x320 and centering that within the Palm-side TS app? On that note, is there any way to create a custom desktop resolution of 320x320 so that the Palm app wouldn't have any scroll bars, and you'd only have the desktop browser scrollbars to contend with?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Is it possible to less then 800*600 in WinXP?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I am really excited about the prospect of using the Treo as a thin client.
    It seems to make more sense to let your desktop do most of the hardwork, and have the treo focus its resources on the display and connection.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Is it possible to less then 800*600 in WinXP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    What about resizing the desktop browser window to 320x320 and centering that within the Palm-side TS app? On that note, is there any way to create a custom desktop resolution of 320x320 so that the Palm app wouldn't have any scroll bars, and you'd only have the desktop browser scrollbars to contend with?
    Yes, you can use EnTech's PowerStrip to get a resolution as small as 320x200, but as I noted before, think about whether you'd really enjoy sitting down at a regular computer and doing work on a 320x320 desktop. If you did do this, you'd certainly want to map some keys to [page up] and [page down] because I'm not sure you could replicate the click and drag of a scroll bar on the server desktop from your palm client.

Also, rendering a scrolling screen is non-trivial for the client. While your desktop has no problem rendering the scroll, the server has to decide how many of those frames to send to you and the client may well be updating all 320x320 pixels (100K+) for each frame sent, if for example, you used the full screen mode of your favorite browser. Does it send every frame? Does it send a frame every second? Does it wait until the screen becomes (mostly) static?

Since I'm still on the Treo 600's 160x160 desktop, I'm severely handicapped in testing out these different possibilities, but my guess for a reasonable compromise would be to make a desktop that is 640 wide and then as long as possible for your particular video card ... essentially a widescreen resolution that was rotated counter-clockwise 90 degrees. You could then set the Palm client to render a 1:2 ratio so you wouldn't need to scroll left or right on the Treo, but you could scroll up and down easily on what would be mostly an already rendered and static server screen. If a page were so long that you still need to scroll on the server side, you send the server the [page down] keystroke, allow it to render the entire desktop, then you scoot the Treo client window quickly back to the top using the client scroll bar, which does respond in real-time.

Are there any Treo 650 users around that have done this kind of experimenting?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12