Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know that this has been discussed before, but the playing field has changed somewhat with CallRec 2.0. I'm wondering whether there is a consensus about the best voice and *phone* recording app for the Treo 650. Since I need to be able to record phone conversations, apps like Audacity are out of the question. By best I mean:

1. Best voice quality for both regular and phone recordings
    2. Some ability to record in compressed format, to save space

So is mVoice 4.5 the best choice?
    mVoice has some fluff features that if you can use might be the best for you. I find CallRec much better for me because I don't need the fluff and the ease of use is better. YMMV
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    mVoice has some fluff features that if you can use might be the best for you. I find CallRec much better for me because I don't need the fluff and the ease of use is better.
    I agree that the recording quality of CallRec is outstanding, but currently there's no compression, so the recordings are HUGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Since I need to be able to record phone conversations, apps like Audacity are out of the question.
    Audacity 3.0 now has phone recording and one button operation. I highly recommend it.

http://www.audiost.com/advr.htm
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Audacity 3.0 now has phone recording and one button operation. I highly recommend it.
    Thanks. Does the UI look better? Prior to 3.0, I thought it was hideous.

Do you have a download link to a .zip or .prc version?
    the graphics have been updated, but one of the things that really stands out when you use the program is how fast and responsive it is when you are recording or managing the files. I use it for both simple voice memos and more complex dictations.
  7.    #7  
    the graphics have been updated, but one of the things that really stands out when you use the program is how fast and responsive it is when you are recording or managing the files. I use it for both simple voice memos and more complex dictations.
    Have you tried CallRec 2.0? Simple, effective, and $10 less.
    Last edited by odysseus; 05/12/2006 at 09:05 PM.
    yes, I used to CallRec, I liked it but I found it was hard to delete files, and it malfunctioned a few times on me. Using the audacity (I use the personal edition) after having used CallRec for a while, the only analogy I can think of is like driving a volkswagon and then driving a porsche, you get spoiled with the responsiveness.

Also, I do a lot of dictations too. So I appreciate the extra features such as appending overwriting or adding to existing recordings.
    I put in a vote for Audacity. I agree with cellmatrix. It is supercharged. Responding to Odysseus's original questions. One, voice quality. Audacity is very good. Two, No one has compressed files like Audacity. I have used both CallRec and mVoice and I agree with one of the above posts--The files are very large. With Audacity I can record a 10 minute phone call in under 1MB. I think that is amazing. The quality is pretty good as well. With mVoice the files were very large. I think about 4 or 5 MB for a minute call. CallRec was better, but no where close to Audacity. One thing someone mentioned was the GUI interface. That has been updated recently and looks very nice.

The best thing about Audacity is the ease of use. I can do everything with the Navigation Pad and one-handed. Actually, I use the side button to record phone calls, but never for regular recording. This latest version makes extensive use of screen softkeys. I guess they are good for someone just learning the program, but I never use them.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Lee
    I put in a vote for Audacity. I agree with cellmatrix. It is supercharged. Responding to Odysseus's original questions. One, voice quality. Audacity is very good. Two, No one has compressed files like Audacity. I have used both CallRec and mVoice and I agree with one of the above posts--The files are very large. With Audacity I can record a 10 minute phone call in under 1MB. I think that is amazing. The quality is pretty good as well. With mVoice the files were very large. I think about 4 or 5 MB for a minute call. CallRec was better, but no where close to Audacity. One thing someone mentioned was the GUI interface. That has been updated recently and looks very nice.
    Thanks for the detailed comments.

How does Audacity's audio quality compare to CallRec's for recording phone conversations?

The compression of Audacity sounds nice, but you don't mention that one big disadvantage is that it is proprietary, requiring the Windows-only conduit for decompression if you want to play the file on one's computer.
    Last edited by odysseus; 05/12/2006 at 09:05 PM.
    yes you are right. the audacity conduit is PC only. as a mac owner I have not been happy with audacity's policy of simply ignoring mac users. of course this is a common phenomena with many software companies. anyway I use the PCM compression option that creates files which are about 1mb per minute. on my 2 gb sd card that gives me over thirty hours of recording time. when I want to transfer the files to my mac I use misssing sync 5.1 folders conduit and it automatically syncs the file to the folder of my choice which can easily be played using quicktime or itunes. if I am on the road and want to send a long recording to someone that is too big to email, I simply transfer it to my idisk public folder via the program wifile. works really well,
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/13/2006 at 10:21 AM.
    odysseus I saw you were looking for the mac downloaable file. it is on the audacity web site there is a "mac users" link, just look around for it.
  13.    #13  
    yes you are right. the audacity conduit is PC only. as a mac owner I have not been happy with audacity's policy of simply ignoring mac users. of course this is a common phenomena with many software companies. anyway I use the PCM compression option that creates files which are about 1mb per minute. on my 2 gb sd card that gives me over thirty hours of recording time.
    1mb per minute is about what CallRec uses. How does the quality compare? It's crazy of Audacity to use a proprietary compression format.
    VMode will rock my world if it's ever released on the Treo..... according to Voice Signal Product manager I spoke with ysterday, VoiceSignal is in discussions with Palm in this regard.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113829
    the quality of audacity PCM compression option (the one that is compatible with quicktime/itunes) seems equivalent to callrec, both sound great to me. I suggest trying callrec and audacity both out for a while and see what your needs are. if you do not do a lot of recording then callrec will probably be just fine and I you should not pay the extra 10 dollars for audacity. if you want to go to the extreme in minimizing cost and footprint try soundrec. it is free and only 20 something kb in size. cheers
  16.    #16  
    the quality of audacity PCM compression option (the one that is compatible with quicktime/itunes) seems equivalent to callrec, both sound great to me. I suggest trying callrec and audacity both out for a while and see what your needs are. if you do not do a lot of recording then callrec will probably be just fine and I you should not pay the extra 10 dollars for audacity. if you want to go to the extreme in minimizing cost and footprint try soundrec. it is free and only 20 something kb in size. cheers
    The best free solution is probably Palm's VoiceMemo which is available through these forums. It produces the smallest files.
    The best free solution is probably Palm's VoiceMemo which is available through these forums. It produces the smallest files.
    but it doesn't record phone calls
    Thanks for the detailed comments.

How does Audacity's audio quality compare to CallRec's for recording phone conversations?

The compression of Audacity sounds nice, but you don't mention that one big disadvantage is that it is proprietary, requiring the Windows-only conduit for decompression if you want to play the file on one's computer.
    I think Audacity and CallRec both have very good quality. They are both better than mVoice in my opinion.

The Audacity compression is quite transparent for me, but I am a PC user. The files play just fine on the handheld and on the PC. I do notice the PC files are much larger than those on the Treo so they must be getting decompressed automatically with the conduit. Audacity probably doesn't have a MAC conduit so the compressed files would be a problem for someone wanting to play them on the MAC. They could always record in PCM format which is no worse than CallRec.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    but it doesn't record phone calls
    Neither does SoundRec. Actually, VM can apparently record phone calls if you turn the speakerphone on.
    I agree, I like VoiceMemo too. The availability of VoiceMemo was a great contribution by Franko515 who brought the files from the lifedrive to this forum. I also like VoiceMemo, but for different reasons. For example, VoiceMemo is the only program which provides a conduit for people who use Palm desktop on the Mac. Also for me, audio file size is not the only important defining measure of an audio program's value, especially in light of the easy availability of 2 and 4 GB SD cards, and the ability to wirelessly upload audio files for sharing online through programs such as wifile and others.

I think we tend to overlook the stock palm programs on this forum far too much. I think part of it has to do with so many palm developers on this forum trying to sell us on third party improvements. I actually like the Palm calendar, contacts, memos, and the tasks programs as they are. For those with complex lives, simplicity can be very refreshing. VoiceMemo is like that, simple and easy to use, and that is a good feature. If I did not have more specialized needs, I would have kept using it.

We do have some good choices for voice recorders for the 650 and this has been an interesting discussion of them in this thread.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/14/2006 at 09:22 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast