Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Audio file size is important but I think it should not the only defining measure of a program's value, especially in light of the easy availability of 2 and 4 GB SD cards, and the ability to wirelessly upload audio files for sharing online through programs such as wifile and others.
    I agree. However, I do think that the audio format used is an important consideration (and that proprietary formats are grounds for elimination).

It is sort of inexcusable that VoiceMemo has never been updated for and shipped with the Treo.
    Last edited by odysseus; 05/14/2006 at 09:34 AM.
    I agree it was a major business blunder not to include it. I wish Palm would get its act in gear and be aggressive in introducing new technology, rather than simply trying to ride the momentum inherited from Handspring's advances.
    Pardon my OT intrusion, but nice to see you again, cell.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Pardon my OT intrusion, but nice to see you again, cell.
    Hey nice to see you too. How have you been?
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    I agree. However, I do think that the audio format used is an important consideration (and that proprietary formats are grounds for elimination).
    I agree, and also prefer uniform formats that make it easy to interchange our data. it seems like everyone is fighting everyone else with propriatary formats, especially in the music and movie industry where there are big dollars at stake. I am not sure what is the motivation for audacity to have a proprietary compression format, whether they designed it because they had a need for a better compression format than what was available out there, or for more selfish exclusionary purposes.

Music and movie files are something that one keeps for a long time, and therefore you have a motivation to keep the program which runs them a long time. Voice memos and dictations are more fleeting pieces of data which get processed and erased. So I do not see how proprietary compression in voice memos could be leveraged into greater sales like the other multimedia compression formats. But again, maybe I just do not understand the big picture.

At any rate, since audacity provides a compression format (PCM) that works just fine with quicktime and itunes, I am happy to stay with it.
    Hey nice to see you too. How have you been?
    Things are doing well, thank you. Hopefully for you too.

Okay, enough of my OT posting...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Things are doing well, thank you. Hopefully for you too.

Okay, enough of my OT posting...
    I am glad to hear it, I am doing well too, thanks. I have been distracted with other things, but it is nice to come back and see how things are going here.

Last year, I was afraid that the forum was turning in the wrong direction with the moderation policies, but I am glad to see I was wrong. It seems like as good a place as its ever been, if not even better.

Cheers
    I think OT posts are still allowed as long as you preceed them with an acknowledgement like.... "Sorry for my OT posts, but..."

At least I think they are
    If you don't mind recording while on the speakerphone, even the freebie SoundRec will work and you can direct it directly to the SD card.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    If you don't mind recording while on the speakerphone, even the freebie SoundRec will work and you can direct it directly to the SD card.
    I'm not sure why there's any reason to prefer SoundRec to Palm's Voice Memo app, though.
    I don't think I have ever tried Voice Memo on the Treo, but unless it has been upgraded it doesn't allow me to record with one hand. I do a lot of driving and need that.

I would like to defend Audacity's proprietary compression formats. I have used several recorders in the past. The two most recent ones were from Sony and Olympus. These are two very big names in recorders. They were both proprietary formats. The reason for a proprietary format is the files are much smaller, like 5 to 10% of a normal PCM format. These files are much easier to store and transport. I was happy to discover Audacity after I bought a Treo as I was spoiled by the small files. With Sony and Olympus I had no choice, but to record in their format. With Audacity I do have a choice.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Lee
    I would like to defend Audacity's proprietary compression formats.
    Compression is NOT necessarily synonymous with proprietary formats. Voice Memo uses compression, but its files can be played by on just about any .wav player.
    Last edited by odysseus; 07/05/2006 at 11:35 PM.
  13.    #33  
    I agree it was a major business blunder not to include it. I wish Palm would get its act in gear and be aggressive in introducing new technology, rather than simply trying to ride the momentum inherited from Handspring's advances.
    Check out the new Palm Treo 700p: Voice Memo is back!
    Last edited by odysseus; 05/15/2006 at 02:44 PM.
    CallRec 3.0 is now available. Anyone have comparison data between this new version of CallRec and the current version of Audacity?
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Neither does SoundRec. Actually, VM can apparently record phone calls if you turn the speakerphone on.
    Callrec does, however. And you don't need to turn on speakerphone, and recording can be triggered via the side button while on a call. It's a clear winner, in my opinion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12