1.    #1  
    Periodically, my Cingular will display "no service...sos only". In as much as this is in aregion where there is no other GSM carrier, I'm just trying to determine how one might have no service, but be able to make a SOS (I assume 911) call. Most likely just a system glitch where the Treo has yet to notice tht the system signal is gone. Anyone else seen this and researched?
    Mark Bergman
    I would render a guess that perhaps another carrier exists, however Cingular has not negotiated some kind of deal with them that would permit their customers to roam on that network. However, I want to say that by law 911 calls have to be permitted, but don't quote me on that.

I have TMobile as my carrier and they told me that my Treo says that when a Cingular signal is stronger than the TMobile signal and my phone is picking the incorrect carrier (Cingular in my case.)
    I have TMobile as my carrier and they told me that my Treo says that when a Cingular signal is stronger than the TMobile signal and my phone is picking the incorrect carrier (Cingular in my case.)
    Yes, I believe all cell phones will do this.....even if you have no contract and no SIM chip, you can still dial 911 and the call will go through. Even the old analog cell phones are still good for 911 calls.
    My cingular phone also displays the "no service--SOS only", but this only happens on weekends....mostly Saturdays, but my phone works.
    "...no service--SOS only...mostly Saturdays..."

I think their tower is saturated and cannot handle another cell phone.

I had similar experience with Cingular. Mostly when I am in weaker signal area.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    "...no service--SOS only...mostly Saturdays..."

I think their tower is saturated and cannot handle another cell phone.

I had similar experience with Cingular. Mostly when I am in weaker signal area.
    Well, Cingular told me to go to their local store and get another sim card, "your sim card could be damaged". I have had no problems other than seeing the "no service...sos only" bit, so I continued on!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    Wow, I thought my problem was unique. I thought Cingular used to allow TMo users to roam with Cingular network.