Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Yes, he should know the answer to his questions by doing some searches. But seeing as we have more off-topic posting these days than useful, constructive posting, I'll jump in and add some value to this thread...

Here are my thoughts pros/cons compared to a Treo 600:

- Much faster internet data transfer thanks to Ev-DO, but don't expect cable modem / DSL speeds.
    - *MUCH* better screen than the 600. I heard a while back that the 700p would have an improved screen over the 650's, but I don't know what that means. If nothing else, I'm hoping they allow for the white border to be turned off, which should make the video playing experience nicer.
    - Should be a better camera than the 600's. Certainly higher resolution. But compared to the 650, it may produce less pleasing photos (color saturation is kinda blah).
    - Phone app probably won't allow for the quick D-Pad access to your four (five?) favorite apps, though we haven't seen recent photos of the phone app, so maybe they came to their senses and improved upon the 650's phone app.
    - Bluetooth. Compared to the 650, it may be a newer version of BT, which would be nice.
    - Plenty o' memory to store your apps. Use the SD slot for MP3s, videos, etc.
    - Replaceable battery.
    - You'll need to remove the battery cover in order to do a soft reset. Lame. But maybe with all that extra memory and some OS improvements we won't need to do soft resets as often as with the 650? (FWIW, I haven't had to do a manual soft reset nearly as often with my 650 since the last 650 patch).
    - D-Pad isn't nearly as nice as the 600's. That one was schweet. Why did they change it?

I'm probably forgetting several things.

Scott did a nice synopsis of the hardware improvements...the 1xevdo radio being the most prominant.

However, it really is unknown what specific software improvements there will be. At this point, it is fairly obvious Palm will have to use the ancient Garnet OS on the 700p with all it's limitations. I suspect palm will update the phone app, media and perhaps versamail with BB client etc. I hope they seriously improve the soft bundle with premium Ptunes, DTG etc and other goodies as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Now now...don't go overboard selling this baby. It only has ONE blue tooth.
    One Blue Tooth? Then it should be the Treo Mississippi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    The oraganic search engine, code named "Nancy"
    My thoughts exactly.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    So does this mean you are going to replace our beloved search button with a "live" human? Namely...You?
    Just this one time. Don't get used to it.

Gaurav, nice to see you back. Where you been hidin' out? It's pretty sad for me to be spendin' more time here than you. Especially since there are other sites I should be spending more of my time. Ahem.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5.    #25  
    so I can get almost all of the benefits except the high speed access going to the 650??
    Don't forget the storage memory.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott "Nancyboy" R
    Don't forget the storage memory.
    You also forgot the box. The new retail packing with have a different picture on it. It will show the 700 instead of the 650.

...hey...packaging is expensive. I just thought I'd make sure the marketing guys also got a sombrero tipped in their direction, too!
    Well, this is great news indeed. I can finally replace my 600. ^^ I wonder if most of my apps that work on my current device will work with the 700P? Which ones will need upgrading, or just replacing. Anyone had to replace anything when they went to the 650? Just curious.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenrabit
    Well, this is great news indeed. I can finally replace my 600. ^^ I wonder if most of my apps that work on my current device will work with the 700P? Which ones will need upgrading, or just replacing. Anyone had to replace anything when they went to the 650? Just curious.
    Never fear...Calc and Memos will still work on the 650 or the 700.
    Just a quick summarization...if you don't think you need (or really, really want) Ev-DO, the 650 is probably the better deal (barring any surprises that we haven't found out about yet). The camera on the 700p looks to be worse, and the expanded memory is nice, but is it truly necessary with more and more apps runnable from the SD card?

For me, the 650's gorgeous screen outweighed some of the usability defects (e.g., the 600's D-Pad was so much better). I'm hoping that the 700p's Ev-DO speeds will be a similar trade-up that will make it worth the early-adopter price.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I suspect palm will update the phone app, media and perhaps versamail with BB client etc. I hope they seriously improve the soft bundle with premium Ptunes, DTG etc and other goodies as well...
    Program - 650 Version / 700p version

Address Book - 4.5.1 / 6.0
    Blazer - 1.0 / 3.0
    Date Book - 4.5.1 / 6.0
    Hotsync - 5.4.0 / 5.4.8
    MemoPad - 4.5.1 / 5.2 H
    ToDo - 4.5.1 / 5.2 H
    VersaSnail - 3.1C / 4112
    Touchscreen - 4.7.3P / 4.7.4P
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Program - 650 Version / 700p version

Address Book - 4.5.1 / 6.0
    Blazer - 1.0 / 3.0
    Date Book - 4.5.1 / 6.0
    Hotsync - 5.4.0 / 5.4.8
    MemoPad - 4.5.1 / 5.2 H
    ToDo - 4.5.1 / 5.2 H
    VersaSnail - 3.1C / 4112
    Touchscreen - 4.7.3P / 4.7.4P
    What about Calc?
    To the original poster: dont buy it. don't be satisfied with second rate features. The biggest updated feature of the 700p is ev-do w/c is present in probably less than 1% of our planet.
    fight for:
    slimmer, sleeker form factor- dont be satiesfied with the design built 2 generations ago.
    wifi- the cheapest, easiest, most available way to connect wirelessly to the net.
    Gb memory- samsung is already releasing 4,5, 8 gb slimphones.
    2-3 megapix cam - this is already the standard for most top of the line phones today.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    To the original poster: dont buy it. don't be satisfied with second rate features. The biggest updated feature of the 700p is ev-do w/c is present in probably less than 1% of our planet.
    fight for:
    slimmer, sleeker form factor- dont be satiesfied with the design built 2 generations ago.
    wifi- the cheapest, easiest, most available way to connect wirelessly to the net.
    2-3 megapix cam - this is already the standard for most top of the line phones today.
    Out of curiosity, then, which phone do you currently have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    ...Especially since there are other sites I should be spending more of my time. Ahem.
    Good idea (man, you were just wide open )
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    i'm sure the 700p will be able to find me a wifey...although im counting on the Qtek S200 to do the same
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    fight for:
    Fight who? with what resources?
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    i using a treo600.
    fight for:
    Yes but you know what that does to the price perspective...although the 700p will cost an arm and a leg.

Also this is a business convergent all-in-one pda phone....its not going for the eye candy factor its going for the functional use.

The MP of the camera...yeah you'll get bigger pictures...but not necessarily better. Its all aboot the lense and the internal digital formating and processing

GB memory...nanotechnology can only go so far at present...and although it is getting better, the cost for it is too great

wifi...yes cheap...yes effective...but it has a huge effect on the phone itself...if you add wifi, the antenna uses a lot more power than bt and the radio itself. Furthermore you would have to increase the battery size/capacity and thus a good chance increasing the physical size of the phone...

and remember korea/japan/orient is a waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy different market than north america. Furthermore we are also a way smaller market apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsheldon
    Let me preface this with the fact that I desperately want the 700P.

I still have the 600. What would be the advantage of getting the 700P? I would have to shell out enough money to buy a laptop, plus a lot of software and accessories would have to be upgraded too.

It seem like it would have a better screen (same as 650), bluetooth (same as 650), better camera, EvDO, more main memory (not a problem with PowerRun), and ?????

I need a way to justify this with the Mrs.!!!
    when i went from the 600 to the 650...i creamed myself...it was awesome...expect the same when you make a "huge" jump from the 600 to the 700p...hopefully the bugs and issues of the 650 would be better corrected in the 700p...although they are slowly getting better with the 650 and its bugs
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast