Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yea, I saw it on cnet last night. Cnet mentioned that it could be Verizon or Sprint. Cnet also posted on the calendar picture I got from here . I am now being told it's going to be both Sprint and Verizon. The 700p is going to be VERY successful getting launched on 2 carriers simultaneously.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    Noobs unite, watch us take over, but wait, then we wont be newbs, what's a nub to do...(like that, huh, multiple spellings of nuub?!)
    Hi TFloyd !!

Welcome to the fray, you will do well.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFloyd
    Hey, someone who gets it. A calm rationale post...T
    OMG, don't say that; you're going to ruin my reputation around here...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    You should feel luck no one called you a liar and demanded you risk your job to prove to some poster with an over-inflated opinion of themselves you actually saw an article about the 700.

(We have been a little touchy on TC lately.)
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    You should feel luck no one called you a liar and demanded you risk your job to prove to some poster with an over-inflated opinion of themselves you actually saw an article about the 700.

Is the coffee in that cup bitter?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Is the coffee in that cup bitter?
    Nah, I was just a little tough on him the other day - you know - a little "tough love" rather than Chicken Soup for the Soul.
    "Nah, I was just a little tough on him the other day - you know - a little "tough love" rather than Chicken Soup for the Soul."

I did not realize you were trying to give me a hard time. I thought you were just proving my point.

(The coffee is a bit weak, actually)
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Nah, I was just a little tough on him the other day - you know - a little "tough love" rather than Chicken Soup for the Soul.
    Same here. Every n00bie has to go through it, especially if they post already seen information. It's like an initiation. Hell, I'm still going through it (though I don't believe I ever reposted information. hmmm).

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    As are your comments.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Same here. Every n00bie has to go through it, especially if they post already seen information. It's like an initiation. Hell, I'm still going through it (though I don't believe I ever reposted information. hmmm).
    Okay...admittedly OT...but back in the old days of 300 baud....we called n00bs "ruggies" -- anyone ever know what happened to that term?

Ruggies and Sysops and busy signals, oh my...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Some of us noobies, although being long time lurkers, haven't kept up on the history of previous posts even though we attempt to do so. I think in a lot of cases, the subjects of threads tend to overlap which may result in someone following one thread missing a relevant post in another thread. Happened to me on one of my few posts. Bottom line, having been "adicted" to the 700p speculations for the past couple of months, I have come to the conclusion that there are few long time posters who are "mean spirited" or who have any "evil" intent towards others but kind of like to inject a little life into the forum.
    Legalbeagle
    "Nah, I was just a little tough on him the other day - you know - a little "tough love" rather than Chicken Soup for the Soul."

I did not realize you were trying to give me a hard time. I thought you were just proving my point.

Nice try, but reverse psychology does not work over here.

Quote Originally Posted by mesplin@earthli
    ...I have come to the conclusion that there are few long time posters who are "mean spirited" or who have any "evil" intent towards others but kind of like to inject a little life into the forum.
    Do I hear someone calling my name...

Back to the topic at hand...What does everyone think about that WSJ article today? Although Sprint has the most liberal policy according to the author, it looks like "Unlimited" does not really mean unlimited under their data plan either.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Okay...admittedly OT...but back in the old days of 300 baud....we called n00bs "ruggies" -- anyone ever know what happened to that term?

Ruggies and Sysops and busy signals, oh my...
    Now now...we don't need to all be showing our age. I do remember the ruggies and I could never figure out which way it was...was it

Sy-sop

-or-

Sys-op - I opted for sys-op due to system operator but so many idiots kept calling it sy-sop...I felt anger and wanted to strangle those that did. Was I wrong?

Ok back on topic...can't wait to hold the 700palm power vision phone so I can have broadband internet anywhere (well almost) with my laptop. whoo hoo.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Back to the topic at hand...What does everyone think about that WSJ article today? Although Sprint has the most liberal policy according to the author, it looks like "Unlimited" does not really mean unlimited under their data plan either.
    It is "Unlimited"...up to a point.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

Is the WSJ saying the there is a limit on unlimited? hmmm...that would make them ox-morons wouldn't it? Or is it an oxymoron? Not sure. moo

Without going back to research it -- both Verizon and Sprint have their Wireless "AIR" cards to link lap tops to their EV-DO networks. Prices for "unlimited" data range from $59 to $79 per month. And plans for unlimited data on Treos are less. What has happened -- is people have started using thier Treos as the "AIR" card. This is the rub. But how are they going to differentiate between high Treo data use and using it as a laptop tether?

I am afraid that the eventual fix is a one price ($HIGH$) fits all scenario. I do not like that concept.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Now now...we don't need to all be showing our age. I do remember the ruggies and I could never figure out which way it was...was it

Sy-sop

-or-

Sys-op - I opted for sys-op due to system operator but so many idiots kept calling it sy-sop...I felt anger and wanted to strangle those that did. Was I wrong?

Ok back on topic...can't wait to hold the 700palm power vision phone so I can have broadband internet anywhere (well almost) with my laptop. whoo hoo.
    Definitely Sys-Op. No one uses a computer SIGH-stem.

And no, I haven't had a chance to look at WSJ. But I'm sure if you talk to your local sprint rep they'll be able to fill you in.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Without going back to research it -- both Verizon and Sprint have their Wireless "AIR" cards to link lap tops to their EV-DO networks. Prices for "unlimited" data range from $59 to $79 per month. And plans for unlimited data on Treos are less. What has happened -- is people have started using thier Treos as the "AIR" card. This is the rub. But how are they going to differentiate between high Treo data use and using it as a laptop tether?

I am afraid that the eventual fix is a one price ($HIGH$) fits all scenario. I do not like that concept.

Cheers, Perry.

That may cause a mutiny if they did that. I know we wouldn't have much choice but to lock in the future of broadband now? It may be worth it to them to not mess with us. They could put a serious kink in the wireline guys future broadband plans. I mean I'd rather buy one of those nifty netgear or linksys routers that takes a PCMCIA wireless data card and slap that in the house and be able to take it with me when I travel than to be tethered to the wall by my broadband connection. I think they have a winner if they don't be stupid about it. For the few of us that will use the 700 as a modem...I think it is a small price for them to pay. Not everyone that has a Treo is going to use it to the most like some of us here do.

Sprint is in a position right now to steal the show when it comes to wireless data services...they can either embrace it and try to woo us all over or they can put us off and open the door to others to jump in. If they keep things simple and let those few use the Treo as a modem I think they'll be fine...slam the door and I think people will hunt other options. Sprint has a chance let's see what they do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

Cheers, Perry.
    The BlackBerry 7130e already has this functionality on Verizon, i.e. tether it to your laptop and use the phone as an Air card. To use it this way, you need to have your phone on the Broadband Access plan, which is $80 a month. If you have National Access (data for just a mobile device) then it's still $45 but if they catch you hacking the phone and accessing EVDO on your laptop then you're in violation of the terms of service.

So you still think just $45 is ridiculous for data?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nehle
    The BlackBerry 7130e already has this functionality on Verizon, i.e. tether it to your laptop and use the phone as an Air card. To use it this way, you need to have your phone on the Broadband Access plan, which is $80 a month. If you have National Access (data for just a mobile device) then it's still $45 but if they catch you hacking the phone and accessing EVDO on your laptop then you're in violation of the terms of service.

So you still think just $45 is ridiculous for data?
    The Treo 650 also already has this functionality; so far Cingular charges you for an unlimited data plan $49.99 (BTW Cingular is historically insane in what they charge for data with a voice plan) and Sprint charges you an unlimited data plan too $25 if I remember right. Perry is right that the air cards are for some reason like $59.99 or so but I think that is because it is not a voice plan as well...if you have both I think you get the discount or some kind of a discount...that's why the unlimited data plan on an existing phone (Treo) is so much cheaper...I don't think there are any violations here.

EDIT: I just tried spec-ing out a Power Vision phone on Sprint's website and there was an option for unlimited Power Vision and unlimited data. With the unlimited data you automatically got the power vision...both options were $25..you pick which one you want.

EDIT #2: transcript of conversation with Sprint rep:

You: Does the ultimate pack include the phone as modem option or is that separate?
    Agent: That is a separate options.
    You: so it would be $50/mo then to do both ($25PUP / $25PAM)
    Agent: I beleive you can only choose one of those options.
    You: The website also won't let you select both...just one. Kind of confusing.
    Agent: With the Flexible data plan you can use the phone to web browse, and use it as a modem.
    Agent: The PCS ultimate pack would not let you use it as a modem, as I understand it.
    You: Oh, so the phone as a modem would allow me to do everything then? Ok, that works.
    Agent: Let me double check that,ok?
    You: ok...this was also interesting "Unlimited usage for the first month. After one month, use the MB included in your plan"
    You: where is the MB listing?
    Agent: The upgrades are for unlimited uasage. The information there needs to be uddated.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/11/2006 at 11:44 AM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast