1.    #1  
    I'm new to the 650, and did a search but didn't find any other threads with this issue.

When playing mp3s through ptunes, I get really nasty distortion. I've confirmed that the volume boost is "off," and am not sure what else to do. I'm using a set of relatively high-end Sony earbuds, so that's not the problem. Also, the music sounds fine using the pre-installed Real player software. I much prefer the features and interface of ptunes over the plain vanilla Real player -- but can't get past the sound. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Try turning the equalizer off and see if that makes any difference. If it does, you might check the settings of the equalizer.
    Funny you ask this today, because I've been wrestling with this problem for a while, and I *think* I figured out a fix. I have Shure i2c-t headphones, and my sound just sucked from PTunes, but Real was fine. But this morning, while stuck sitting in a car repair place with nothing to do but fiddle with my Treo, I turned *ON* the volume boost in PTunes, and the distortion went away.

I just tried again, played a tune with Real and it sounded fine, switched to Pocket Tunes with the volume boost on, and it sounded fine too. Interestingly, turning the volume boost off did not cause distortion. But it was there this morning, so bad I had to EQ out the bass to get any volume at all. And it had been there for months prior to today.

And before you ask, yes, I'm also using the EQ. I have the volume boost set to +6...... which then makes the sound PTunes produces about the same volume as Real.

HTH.....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
  4.    #4  
    I'm glad to hear that someone else had the same problem--good to know I'm not crazy.

Thanks for the suggestions. Checked the equalizer, and tried it on, disabled, and bass boost. No luck. Tried turning the volume boost "On," and went through the different settings with different EQ settings -- tried to do all of the combinations. That seemed to work...until I played Dum Diddly by the Black Eyed Peas. Instead of the "boom," pTunes says "blat."

I'll keep playing with it--would really rather use pTunes than RealPlayer. If anyone else has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
    What bitrate is your music encoded at?

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    What bitrate is your music encoded at?
    I'm obviously new to the world of MP3s. As it turns out, the bitrate of the songs I've downloaded is all over the map -- 96, 128, 160, 192. Is there an optimal bitrate for playback on pTunes?

FWIW -- Dum Diddly, the song I was having problems with yesterday, is at 192.
    All my music is variable bit rate encoded using LAME and the --alt-preset-standard switch. On average, the bitrate hovers around 192......hmmmm, high bitrate encoded mp3s suck in pTunes? Looks like a visit to the NormSoft web site....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    I had a lot of distortion until I turned off the equalizer. No distortion since then, and my Shure headphones sound just fine without it.