Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm still relatively new to my Treo 650.

Does anyone know how to play the music files (MP3 and WMA) from your SD card in the 650 through a car stereo? I was looking at car stereos today at Best Buy. Some stereos come with a USB port on them. I thought that if I had the music playing on the Treo through ptunes deluxe and my sync cord was connected to the USB port, that the music would come through the stereo. It didn't on any of the stereo units. I asked Verizon and Palm and neither one had info. Palm even went so far as to say it's not possible at all to accomplish this connection even when I asked how it could be achieved via Bluetooth. I looked through this area of the forums but didn't really see anyone discuss this.

Thanks for any help

Kirk
    You can get a transmitter, Belkin is one, that will play through your car radio. You plug it into your headset jack, with adapter of course, and the Bekkin one even turns on automatically when it receives input from the treo. Same thing anyone with an mp3 player would use in the car. Sounds real good.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks so much for the help. I'll check that out
    Last edited by rkirkr; 05/10/2006 at 06:08 PM.
    Yes, that Tunecast II is what I have and worked fine. When I bought my new car, I got a stereo that has an aux jack on the front. So I just bought the stereo adapter here from Treocentral and a male/male 2mm cord from radio shack to attached the adapter to the head unit. Works PERFECTLY!
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    I would say the first item would be best. Not sure if the ipod adapter would work with the Treo. I use a cassett adapter similar to the following

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=158168

If you have or get a newer car stereo, it may have an auxilary input jack that could be connected directly to the Treo output jack. All of these items need an adapter to convert from the Treo 2.5mm jack to a standard 3.5mm stereo jack.

http://store.treocentral.com/content...73-75--337.htm
  6.    #7  
    Thanks for the info treo700.us Luke and jrfaris (and gapost). I wondered about the adapter thing. I actually have that exact adapter for my headphones that you mentioned jrfaris. Was looking at getting a reasonably nice stereo that has a CD player (so wouldn't want the cassette adapter), but didn't think about it being as simple as a male-to-male adpater!

Thanks again guys!!

Kirk
    Seidio also makes a FM trasnsmitter
    I use this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20
    works very well. Radio Shack used to sell it for $15.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    FM transmitters and cassette adapters really downgrade the sound quality of ANY music player. Connecting it via AUX in on the headunit or similar will give you practically distortion-free playback.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkirkr
    Was looking at getting a reasonably nice stereo that has a CD player (so wouldn't want the cassette adapter), but didn't think about it being as simple as a male-to-male adpater!
    As Treo305 says, a direct connection is the best. These other options are for older systems or rentals. So if you are buying a new car stereo, find a unit that has an aux in jack.
    If the car stereo has a USB port then why bother with the TREO at all? Can't you load songs onto a thum drive and plug that striaght into the car stereo?
    I would also go with the head unit. I bought a Sony Xplode unit for like $100 from Best Buy. But the transmitter is also nice. I used it recently when I was out of town with a rental car.
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    If the car stereo has a USB port then why bother with the TREO at all? Can't you load songs onto a thum drive and plug that striaght into the car stereo?
    Excuse my ignorance but what is a thum drive? I will most likely be getting the stereo with an aux. input. But is the thum drive like a card reader, in a sense-where you just put your card in the reader and plug it in?
    He meant "Thumb Drive" AKA USB Drive AKA USB Key. Google for "Sandisk Cruzer Micro" to see what it looks like. It's a common peripheral nowadays.

There are some headunits that have a USB port where you can plug in your USB drive. It will play the MP3s on there. I have a Pioneer headunit that can play MP3 CDs which hold about 10 hours worth of music per CD.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    What about via BT?
    Quote Originally Posted by Staheev
    What about via BT?
    It would require 3rd party Treo software (Softick) and then something akin to this.
    yeah, I know, but my Jabra BT 250 and my Parrot CK3100 don't seem to be a2dp compatible. Is there any other solution?
    if your car stereo has a satellite radio capability and you are not using one, you can often get an adaptor to give you an audio aux in, if your stereo does not already have this. I did this and it gives great sound, much more stable than an FM transmitter especially in an urban area where there are not many free FM frequencies.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 06/01/2006 at 03:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I plug into my aux jack. low tech works
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast