1.    #1  
    My friend has Sprint with a Samsung A900 EVDO phone. He made a Bluetooth DUN connection with his laptop and tested it out for about 10 minutes.

About a week later he got a nastygram SMS from Sprint saying that he need to purchase some extra addon pack to do that.

What I heard is that with the 650 and 1xRTT that Sprint can't tell when you are using Bluetooth DUN versus justing using data apps on the phone, but with EVDO they can tell if the data packets are sent from the phone or from Bluetooth DUN.

Anyone have any more information?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Yes the newest phones are able to detect when you use the phone as a modem. The 6700 can't as i understand. However, some people have claimed to be able to turn off modem NAI, which is supposed to prevent Sprint from detecting phone as a modem use.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This is an empty threat from sprint, I have been getting these for years. I first purchased a Sprint Samsung a460 about 3 years ago and hooked it up via a cable I bought on ebay. I was downloading movies all night throught my unlimited vision plan. I got an actually letter and even some phone calls. But in the end Sprint can't do jack.

As for the EVDO and Bluetooth I have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    This is an empty threat from sprint, I have been getting these for years. I first purchased a Sprint Samsung a460 about 3 years ago and hooked it up via a cable I bought on ebay. I was downloading movies all night throught my unlimited vision plan. I got an actually letter and even some phone calls. But in the end Sprint can't do jack.

As for the EVDO and Bluetooth I have no idea.
    Why do you guys crap on everything for the rest of us. Get a broadband connection for heaven's sake. Besides, Vision isn't even as fast a an old style dedicated ISDN line, much less base level cable. Jeez.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Your friend needs to turn off the NAI setting and then Sprint wouldn't be able to monitor his tethering. Works for me............... I believe you can do this on the 6700 also but some phones you can't turn off the NAI setting which will probably will include the 700P.
    Viking: what's NAI and how does one turn it off? Thanks

BTW, I tether alot (via bluetooth/DUN) as is and never had a problem (650).
    Got a standard form letter about a year ago from Sprint about data usage (ananomous/unsigned)- called customer support - they were totally unaware of said letter - and I just informed them I use unlimited data on the phone and make a note of it, please. Never heard another word on the subject.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TBRunner
    Viking: what's NAI and how does one turn it off?
    Nobody knows yet (or if it is even possible) with the Treo700p.

With the Samsung A900 EVDO phone the procedure is:

1. Settings
    2. Display
    3. Press zero
    4. Type in 040793
    5. Go down to Toggle NAI and turn it off

Note that some people have claimed that "nowadays" even with NAI turned off that Sprint can *still* tell when you are doing Bluetooth DUN. I don't know if this is true or not.
    I'm pretty sure they can just monitor the packets and see if you're tethering. For example your phone can't display big pictures or run certain websites that you're accessing.

If they end up doing that, with PDA phones, you can just set up an ssh tunnel and everything will be encrypted and they won't know what's going on. You can already do this with the ppc-6700 + pocketty but it's unnecessary.

I've streamed a few gigs with my phone and it hasn't been a problem.
    BEWARE - read today's WSJ tech section, where ALL THREE of the major carriers admit they have been, and will be cracking down more, on unlimited access. It may say that it is unlimited, but the author's assessment was that it meant unlimited surfing only; not downloading, streaming, or routing. Maybe with the newer generation smartphones (with faster processors) surfing on the handheld vs. surfing a tethered notebook may be tougher to detect, but download movies all night like the moron above and we'll all start getting busted quickly.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    having frequented sprintusers.com - there is still some "guess work" on Sprint's part as to what unlimited data is on EVDO and how much you use per month being overboard or not. They apparently are looking at heavy users and they apparently are locking down on said heavy users - those users are probably tethering one or more computers with an EVDO phone.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin