Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    It will be fun to watch. I just hope that Ed is working on that "killer" new OS in the Palm basement for the next go around. But I still think the W was not intended as a consumer device -- it was a corporate email main frame connect device with no room for 3rd party apps. If that is how Bill G views it, then the blood letting will not be too bad between the two boys.

    Cheers, Perry.
    Oh, I see Bill the Gates having a collosal temper tantrum if the rumored 700p (look, I got to keep treating it like a "suspect" for my financial well being) runs circles around his beloved 700w - unless the 700p won't support any form of WiFi - as lame as it is, SD card support on the W is better than none at all.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Oh, I see Bill the Gates having a collosal temper tantrum if the rumored 700p (look, I got to keep treating it like a "suspect" for my financial well being) runs circles around his beloved 700w - unless the 700p won't support any form of WiFi - as lame as it is, SD card support on the W is better than none at all.
    Why can't someone create a 2GB SD card that also has wi-fi built in? I'd be willing to let a little "nub" stick out the top of my 650 or 700x if it meant I could have wi-fi. But I can't live with anything less than 1GB of storage...
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Why can't someone create a 2GB SD card that also has wi-fi built in? I'd be willing to let a little "nub" stick out the top of my 650 or 700x if it meant I could have wi-fi. But I can't live with anything less than 1GB of storage...
    I don't remember for the life of me where I saw it (in the last week to ten days) but a new SD card was announced (not Sandisk) that had 1gb memory PLUS a WiFi connection that wsa no bigger than a standard SD card. Reception could be a problem in that instance, but a heck of a lot better than a second flat antennae standing alongside the familiar Treo nub.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I don't remember for the life of me where I saw it (in the last week to ten days) but a new SD card was announced (not Sandisk) that had 1gb memory PLUS a WiFi connection that wsa no bigger than a standard SD card. Reception could be a problem in that instance, but a heck of a lot better than a second flat antennae standing alongside the familiar Treo nub.
    must of saw it here....

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/01/e...your-sd-flash/
  5. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevich
    Thanks...unfortunately, I went to the manufacturer's web site and it appears the announcement is a bit ahead of the product itself. Big surprise.

    Maybe I'll be able to get this for my Treo 900??
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Thanks...unfortunately, I went to the manufacturer's web site and it appears the announcement is a bit ahead of the product itself. Big surprise.

    Maybe I'll be able to get this for my Treo 900??
    Nah, it should be ready about the time the 1.01 ROM upgrade ships for your 700.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Oh, I see Bill the Gates having a collosal temper tantrum if the rumored 700p (look, I got to keep treating it like a "suspect" for my financial well being) runs circles around his beloved 700w - unless the 700p won't support any form of WiFi - as lame as it is, SD card support on the W is better than none at all.
    I think Colligan was smirking thru his colon sitting up there with Bill G on stage announcing the 700w.....I thot for a sec I even saw a bubble above Colligan's head saying "You jerk, we gonna run circles you when we release the 700p". Shoulda called them the 700 (WM5) and 700+ (POS).

    While I still think the 700w will be IT's choice whenever they win the argument, it's going to come down to "Do I wanna multitask (do 2 things slowly) or do I wanna concentrate on one thing and do it one handed and quickly.
  8. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    While I still think the 700w will be IT's choice whenever they win the argument, it's going to come down to "Do I wanna multitask (do 2 things slowly) or do I wanna concentrate on one thing and do it one handed and quickly.
    You should have inserted the words "and pray it doesn't crash" right after the "(do 2 things slowly)"
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think Colligan was smirking thru his colon sitting up there with Bill G on stage announcing the 700w.....I thot for a sec I even saw a bubble above Colligan's head saying "You jerk, we gonna run circles you when we release the 700p". Shoulda called them the 700 (WM5) and 700+ (POS).

    While I still think the 700w will be IT's choice whenever they win the argument, it's going to come down to "Do I wanna multitask (do 2 things slowly) or do I wanna concentrate on one thing and do it one handed and quickly.
    I heard the new one running POS is going to be called Treo650.1 since it is so little of an upgrade...
  10. #70  
    I'm actaully interested in the way Palm may have implemented NVFS on the 700p. If rumors are true Palm will use onboard 64-128 MB onboard ram via Xscale proc instead of separate nand chip, then that would definitely speed things up alot. It would also mean that Palm could possible use a simlar setup on on other devices like perhaps a LD2 instead of relying on a HD....
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I heard the new one running POS is going to be called Treo650.1 since it is so little of an upgrade...
    I agree, there are not enough goodies to make a bunch of 650 owners run to the store.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  12.    #72  
    gfunk, I don't know what you're talkin' about, so why don't you school us? Is this an OS change or a hardware change you're describing? If the former, is it something they could implement on the TX and LifeDrive if they wanted to via an OS patch?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  13. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #73  
    If there is a radical increase in speed that is a pretty compelling upgrade. Applications like Ptunes, for example, that are tasking in the background could probably benefit from such an increase...
  14. #74  
    From what some of the early spec rumors posts told us, Palm more than doubled the size of the dbcache in the 700p. If true, this should not only speed things up, but drastically reduce resets and "out of memory" errors, especially for those who use Chatter E-mail. I, for one, would almost be prepared to buy it for that alone. EVDO really makes it compelling, though, as long as Sprint lets us continue to get away with casual tethered usage.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Thanks...unfortunately, I went to the manufacturer's web site and it appears the announcement is a bit ahead of the product itself. Big surprise.

    Maybe I'll be able to get this for my Treo 900??
    Sorry about that, another premature announcement. If only Palm were like that...I guess they just like post-mature anniuncements.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  16. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Sorry about that, another premature announcement. If only Palm were like that...I guess they just like post-mature anniuncements.
    The good news is...it used to say that it would be compatible with the Treo 700p and Treo 900L...but they removed those references...
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

    I will say that the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the recently leaked photos may have been planned and controlled to build hype with them keeping some features and the casing color secret.
    Thats exactly what I thought as well, what better way to market a new product than for free.
    Tech Review Blog
    Tungsten T > Zire 72 > Treo 650
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I heard the new one running POS is going to be called Treo650.1 since it is so little of an upgrade...
    I think it all depends on what is important to you....to me the diufference between the 600 and 650 was huge as being able to use small fonts on the 320 x 320 screen and being able to drive without a wire hanging down from my head was important to me. EVDO isn't that important to me cause to me MM on a phone is "chalk on blackbosrd".

    However, everything I am hearing from peeps with the 700p "in hand" say this thing is real real fast and that is something I think everyone can appreciate.
  19. #79  
    Now that the lid is more or less off, can any of you beta testers tell us if there are any surprises, good or bad?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    Now that the lid is more or less off, can any of you beta testers tell us if there are any surprises, good or bad?
    Good question...but if Palm is true to form, these guys were advanced alpha and we'll get to do the real beta for the next six months until the 1.01 ROMs are released.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions