Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    <duplicate post removed>
    Last edited by Scott R; 05/10/2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  2.    #42  
    Redundant post? Unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    gharrod, this thread is meant to be a focused discussion for people who already believe (so I guess that leaves you out, right?). So, since we already believe in most/all of the info that has been leaked, the question is: What detailed might we *not* know?

Speculation? Yes. Redundant discussion thread? I think 'No'.
    No. There is room in the Church of Treo Worship for non-believers as well. Otherwise, Ronbo would have sent me to the timeout corner a LONG time ago.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    No. There is room in the Church of Treo Worship for non-believers as well. Otherwise, Ronbo would have sent me to the timeout corner a LONG time ago.

There is no quarter given to the unbelievers! None!!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Can I bring my ball and play in your thread?

It's looking more and more like the Sprint Treo 700p (possibly called just Treo 700) may be out on the 28th. Ev-DO seems confirmed, as does the included app bundle, including pTunes.

So what might we still be surprised with?

Wi-Fi support via Palm's SDIO Wi-Fi card? Possibly. But, if so, expect this to be a manually initiated process where the phone functionality will be disabled thanks to Palm OS Garnet's poor multitasking support.
    Seems to me the most unlikely of "upgrades."

New case color? The most recent 700p shots are in a Verizon-branded case. I'm anticipating a charcoal Sprint 700p more like the Treo 600 design. Wasn't there an antenna-less "supposed Hollywood" photo with this colorscheme?
    I was actually told that the new Treo would be offered in four different colors. Don't know if that is still in the works though.

I will say that the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that the recently leaked photos may have been planned and controlled to build hype with them keeping some features and the casing color secret.
    I love a good conspiracy!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    ScottR,

There is no doubt in my mind that most of these 'leaks' are planned. Including the blurry Hollywood. One pic shows up, then the informant disappears forever.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    From all the posts I read, what's actually new in the 700p?

From the looks of it, it will be identical to the 650 except it will have EVDO. Same amount of RAM, same processor (312mhz), same screen (320x320).

I have no idea why it took Palm/Sprint so long to get it together...

It can't be that hard to slap an evdo chip in it.

What would be nice if they made significant changes i.e. add wifi, add SIRF III gps. Then I would definitely buy it.

Even the 700w doesn't have WIFI. I really liked the 1 handed operation of the 650 but I'm not giving up my ppc-6700 now that I discovered SJphone for wifi calls anywhere in the world free. Also, the only GPS app that works on palm well is TomTom which has really bad map data in the US.

I remember the battery life on the 650 was much better than on my ppc-6700 and there's a big extended battery too which is nice. They're probably delaying the release so that they can "fix" the tethering issue - i.e. so they can bill you for it. Then I'm definitely not giving up my ppc-6700 which I can tether for free and sprint will never know...

But in the end, 650+evdo=700p ?
    The 700p is supposed to have double the RAM and 4 times the rom.

BTW, on my HTC Universal, I can not only use wifi and voice at the same time, I can also use UMTS cellular data and voice at the same time.

Surur
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarshmellow

From the looks of it, it will be identical to the 650 except it will have EVDO. Same amount of RAM, same processor (312mhz), same screen (320x320).

What would be nice if they made significant changes i.e. add wifi, add SIRF III gps. Then I would definitely buy it.

Even the 700w doesn't have WIFI. I really liked the 1 handed operation of the 650 but I'm not giving up my ppc-6700 now that I discovered SJphone for wifi calls anywhere in the world free. Also, the only GPS app that works on palm well is TomTom which has really bad map data in the US.

I remember the battery life on the 650 was much better than on my ppc-6700 and there's a big extended battery too which is nice. They're probably delaying the release so that they can "fix" the tethering issue - i.e. so they can bill you for it. Then I'm definitely not giving up my ppc-6700 which I can tether for free and sprint will never know...

I would just like them to at least release a wifi driver even if it will only work with Palm's one card. That way it's there if you want it when you need it like in the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmarshmellow

Hi Mrmarshmellow!!

Here is a summary of the 700P's supposed specs, there is more than just EV-DO:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ary#post970416

Cheers, Perry.
    damn i hope this damn thing doesnt cost $675 like previosly stated in someother thread. that would be crazy... im trying to figure out when the right time is for me to drop my 650 on ebay. i hope palm doesnt make a big deal out of the announcement on monday cause if toomany ppl find out about the 700 sprint i might not get a good price on my 650.
    hey whats this GOOD crap i see all over the apps? on the yahoo pics of the 700 it has all the rom apps with a lil "good" in a red box what up w that?
    it is a very expensive email program which seems pretty buggy if we are to believe a lot of the users on TC. they go after the Good shill pretty hard in the threads.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Mrmarshmellow!!

Here is a summary of the 700P's supposed specs, there is more than just EV-DO:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ary#post970416

Cheers, Perry.
    Everyone who has used a prototype seems to talk about how much faster the 700p is. I'm wondering if this is simply from having more and/or optimized RAM/ROM -- or could there be a chance that it's a faster processor? I might be blind (and use a braile keyboard and one of those collapsable canes that lets me "beat my way around" -- as was suggested in another forum) but I have seen no mention of the actual processor being use. Could that have been sneakily tweakilied?
  15.    #55  
    Way to go Haggar, you got us *back* on-topic! I take back all those things I said about you.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    it is a very expensive email program which seems pretty buggy if we are to believe a lot of the users on TC. they go after the Good shill pretty hard in the threads.
    Sorry to go OT here for a second but I thought I'd throw 2 pennies worth of balance in here...

I'm not a shill for Good...but I'm using it and have no major "bugs" or issues with the program.

Is it as robust as I'd like? Nope. But it does for me what I wanted it to do.

-- I felt I should give a small rebutt here simply because it seems like the ONLY feedback that you read on the internet about anything is always negative. It sorta skews reality and, as everyone knows...I always live in reality and wanted to share that reality with you.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Way to go Haggar, you got us *back* on-topic! I take back all those things I said about you.
    You musta typed this while I was posting the OT post that followed....
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The biggest surprise for me would be if all of the "features" worked correctly out of the box...

Bluetooth voice dialing
    Bluetooth DUN
    No reboots

I love my 650, but it does annoy me sometimes when I'm looking up movie showtimes in Blazer, and the stinking thing reboots.

Plus lack of voice dialing abilities over Bluetooth hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Everyone who has used a prototype seems to talk about how much faster the 700p is. I'm wondering if this is simply from having more and/or optimized RAM/ROM -- or could there be a chance that it's a faster processor? I might be blind (and use a braile keyboard and one of those collapsable canes that lets me "beat my way around" -- as was suggested in another forum) but I have seen no mention of the actual processor being use. Could that have been sneakily tweakilied?
    I haven't given up yet (down Perry, down, no card yet), but IF the 700p has 64mb ram, in comparison to the 700W's 32mb, at the same or even slower processor it should run rings around WM5; it always has outpaced its Windoze cousins (light in the loafers so to speak). However, I think this is more a reastion in these supoosed test units having access to EV-DO in comparison to the Vision speeds of the 650.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I haven't given up yet (down Perry, down, no card yet), but IF the 700p has 64mb ram, in comparison to the 700W's 32mb, at the same or even slower processor it should run rings around WM5; it always has outpaced its Windoze cousins (light in the loafers so to speak). However, I think this is more a reastion in these supoosed test units having access to EV-DO in comparison to the Vision speeds of the 650.
    It will be fun to watch. I just hope that Ed is working on that "killer" new OS in the Palm basement for the next go around. But I still think the W was not intended as a consumer device -- it was a corporate email main frame connect device with no room for 3rd party apps. If that is how Bill G views it, then the blood letting will not be too bad between the two boys.

Cheers, Perry.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast