Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hi there!
    Since I recently cracked my 650 screen and am now waiting on the 700P, I was wondering, with all this EVDO talk, will I have to change anything when I get the 700P, or will my current sprint vision plan work with it? I have a great plan with unlimited vision and don't really want to change anything.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

jfire
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfire
    Hi there!
    Since I recently cracked my 650 screen and am now waiting on the 700P, I was wondering, with all this EVDO talk, will I have to change anything when I get the 700P, or will my current sprint vision plan work with it? I have a great plan with unlimited vision and don't really want to change anything.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

jfire
    I think I read here earlier that there is an extra charge of a few bucks. Did you do a search?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    I think I read here earlier that there is an extra charge of a few bucks. Did you do a search?
    I know that when I traded in my Treo 600 to a 650 in December that Sprint would not allow me to stay on the sweet deal I had...they forced me to choose a new plan with the new phone. Of course, if I stayed with the 600 I could have stayed with my plan...

I suspect they'll end up doing the same here...that, or as t-stool said, they may simply add a premium price to your existing plan to get the EV-DO speeds (I'm a child of the 80's and can't help but want to call that DEVO......but I'm afraid that's OT).
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Are there any differenences in pricing of a data plan for a 650 vs a data plan for a PPC-6700? If not why would there be a difference for a 700p/w?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    Are there any differenences in pricing of a data plan for a 650 vs a data plan for a PPC-6700? If not why would there be a difference for a 700p/w?
    I do not know, I remember someone posting that there would be an additional charge. I'm sure if I'm wrong about the post, someone will let me know.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Does that mean that the Sprint Vision and the EVDO are Different networks? Can i keep my regular Vision with the new 700P?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Does that mean that the Sprint Vision and the EVDO are Different networks? Can i keep my regular Vision with the new 700P?
    All it means, from my perspective, is that Sprint didn't like the fact that my data plan was $15 a month for unlimited internet and unlimited text messaging...they wanted to charge me an additional $10 for 500 text messages and then give me unlimited "data" for $15 (if I remember correctly) but not include the vision services in that price...I had to pay another $10 for that...so I ended up paying almost $40 to get the vision plan plus 500 text messages.

Dang...that gave me a headache. Why'd you have to go and do that to me?

I bet if you simply go to sprint's web site and type in your zip -- they'll happily give you a vision rate plan for the 6700 that would be comparible to what you'll pay on the 700...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Looking at Sprint's website, the 650 running on 1xRT and the PPC6700 running on EVDO are both Vision phones and appear to both have the same price for data plans.

Verizon as well makes no distinction in price between the National and Broadband access fees when it comes to phones as both are $44.99 for unlimited.

The only situation where I can see an increase would be like Haggar's where you won't be grandfathered in from your old plan if it's cheaper and you upgrade to a new device.
    I currently have unlimited vision on both phones on my plan. I spoke to Sprint and asked if I would have to pay more to get Power Vision (EVDO) when I upgraded to an EVDO phone. I was told that I'd have to add a Power Vision pack, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 for my primary line and $10 for my 2nd line. But because I've been with them for a long time and have a fairly expensive plan, they agreed to give me a 35% monthly discount.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    You have to upgrade to a power vision pack. This is total bull****. I lost my FREE vision and unlimited text when I went to the PPC-6700. $30 added on to my bill, is pissing me off. I am going to either get switched to Sero or cancel. I had a plan I liked. $100 for 2000 minutes and 2 lines, plus insurance for the first line and text for the 2nd. It was $113.50+ tax. Now I pay almost $175 a month. I'm done with this plan.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Could I use the 700P on the same Vision network and not change anything? I don't need the high speed THAT bad!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Could I use the 700P on the same Vision network and not change anything? I don't need the high speed THAT bad!
    Then by all means, save a few bucks and get the 650.
    If you look at the SprintUsers forums, you'll have some folks saying that they've been able to stay on grandfathered vision plans. When I called Sprint, however, I was told that old Vision plans are incompatible with PowerVision phones. From what I've read, that's the response most people get.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    If you look at the SprintUsers forums, you'll have some folks saying that they've been able to stay on grandfathered vision plans. When I called Sprint, however, I was told that old Vision plans are incompatible with PowerVision phones. From what I've read, that's the response most people get.
    The way that is was possible to stay on the old plans was by doing just an esn swap and not recieving a discount. You also had to hope you were talking to a rep using p2k and knew what he was doing. IF you try to do it in a store, they use RMS and it won't let it go throught without the power vision codes.
    This is what I have done in the past and it has worked for me when switching to a Power Vision device but not wanting to lose old Vision plan and accompanying perks... If you do this do not expect to upgrade, rebates, 1 or 2 yr, etc... This will only work if you are buying outright, full price:

Call *2 and say "representative." When you talk to the agent say you have a replacement phone and you need help programming it (ESN swap). Do NOT mention what the device is, don't mention the words POWER VISION, nothing like that.... When you give the rep the ESN he will likely confirm what it is and proceed to guide you to program the phone. After the programming you are done. Your plan will be exactly the same and you will keep whatever Vision plan you have for the same price...

If for some reason the rep starts to question on how you need to change the plan or get a Power Vision pack for the internet to work properly on the device, STOP RIGHT THERE. Tell the rep to NOT touch your plan or Vision pack and that you will call back and think about it. Call right back and when you get a different rep you should have no problems programming the new phone without touching the current Vision pack you have.

As I said before, this will only work if you are buying the device outright but do not expect to work when upgrading or using 1 or 2 year upgrade rebates ($75 or $150). You will lose your Vision pack and will have to upgrade to more expensive Power Vision packs.

The 6700 was classified under the older Vision packs $10-15 because it is not Picture mail/video mail, Sprint TV, Sprint Music store, GPS (on demand) capable. The Treo 700 will be capable of all the Sprint proprietary multimedia applications thus will be offered with the basic Power Vision ($15), Picture mail PV pack ($20), or ultimate PV pack ($25) with Sprint TV, all channels, etc....

We're all moaning and crying about losing grandfathered Vision packs, myself included, but worse comes to worse, if I have to upgrade with new Treo I still got a leg up by at least 20 dollars less per month for data compared to Cingular and Verizon.
    Yea, Sprint is still giving a great deal even if $25 is the most you would pay.
    Jimmie Geddes