Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I wonder if the little LCD screen on the HBH-DS970 will actually display anything when connected to the Treo 650 or 700P...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I picked up a new RAV4 this weekend and was very pleased that the console btwn the driver and passenger seat has a 3.5mm jack that connects to the stereo's AUX channel.

So I connected my BTH-820 to that jack with a 3' m/m cable and now I can talk handsfree while driving, and the call comes through the stereo system. The treo is secure in the front console. Sounds excellent. Not bad for a $60 investment.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Too bad you can't use any headphones with that HBH-DS970...
    Here is something I saw but am unsure if this might be what you could be looking for.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/So...ontroller.html

It seems like you should be able to plug any kind of headphones into this.

---------------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint
    Sony Ericsson HBH DS-970 with SAG ????
    Wow that Sony VGP-BRM1D looks nice. It even has its own charging cradle. The ability to use any headphones is nice too.

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=15637
    I am still waiting for the review on 820 and Sony's DS970 item. just drop some cash (actually it was credit) for 700p wait to wait for the perfect headset.
    WHY AM I THE LAST TO KNOW THE SE DS970 was finally OUT!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! must find deal now, must buy it now!

LOL
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite
    WHY AM I THE LAST TO KNOW THE SE DS970 was finally OUT!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! must find deal now, must buy it now!

LOL
    How much? And where? All I can find is reviews with "price yet to be announced".
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Sorry for the delay on the verdict. I got busy with a few things and forgot about this thread until now.

Anyway the 820 is a "good" bluetooth headset. It works great.
    Keep in mind that you buy it for $60($52.99 + Shipping around $7), but since palm doesnt have that softick gateway drivers you will have to shell out another $25 for it.

With that being said, you will have a working Globe-SAT 820 bluetooth headset.
    It's a nice little gadget if you are having the jack problems. I know I've had at least 3 or so and doing insurance on your treo and having it break every other month is not an option. Sorry, but palm has failed us all with that 2.5mm jack.
    I went through several treo's with the same headset. Usually it's the headset that breaks first. The bad thing about the treo when the jack breaks is that the sound will come on all the time, It doesnt matter even if the unit is on silent.(This is true when you play ptunes, your treo's speakers will come on even if the button on top is set to silent mode)

Solution...A bluetooth headset. The 820 is cheap and works pretty well. It's not prefect though.

Pros

-For $60 you get a solution to the nasty jack problem
    -Good Battery life
    -Use any standard 3.5mm headphone you want.
    -Clips on your shirt not your ear
    -Light
    -Able to control your treo with the remote (pause,play,ff,rw, etc. Hold)
    -Has a mic so you can talk like a normal bt headset
    -charges quickly (1 hour or 1.5 will give you near/full capacity)
    -Able to control bluetooth mp3 player/treo at the same time (so if you buy that extra bluetooth adapter for a 3.5mm jack and plug it into the ipod, you will be able to listen to your ipod and pick up a call from your treo with the same headset.

Cons

-The included headset is cheap and short.
    -Range on the unit is not 10 meters. (I hate to put this here, but i dont know if it's the treo's bluetooth or the headset that is weak. Simply putting your hand in between can fade the call/music. If you turn around and the treo is on the opposite side of, the sound will fade out.)
    -Kills the battery when you have streaming radio and using this headset
    -Software(SAG) can bug out sometimes, but it's not too bad (probably 1/30 or so in terms of chances of a bug). I had 2 or 3 resets so far.

I would give it a 7/10

So basically there you have it. A solution for most of us. The good thing is that you can use this on your treo 700p as well so you dont have to buy another one. Make sure you have the extended battery by siedio if you play lots of music on your treo (4 hours will drain the battery to about 20% or less if streaming).
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    How much? And where? All I can find is reviews with "price yet to be announced".
    a previous poster posted this url (thanks ehosey2):

http://www.electronicell.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=217

LOL
    Hey enynite, check out ehosey2's post (post #63 above). The Sony bluetooth adapter he linked to is like the GlobalSat one in that you can use any headphones you want with it. The DS970 has the headphones permanently attached so I wouldn't get it.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Hey enynite, check out ehosey2's post (post #63 above). The Sony bluetooth adapter he linked to is like the GlobalSat one in that you can use any headphones you want with it. The DS970 has the headphones permanently attached so I wouldn't get it.
    Yes, the HBH DS-970 is an all in one, non-changeable device, and being I have not yet received it ( hopefully friday or monday ) I can't say for sure if the 650 allows the LED of the DS-970 to show the incoming callers number as it could be a SE Walkman phone specific feature ( nothing so far as to confirm this ) but the other Sony bluetooth adapter, which seems to be another great option, does not have an LED to show incoming callers numbers. Either option seems like a great pick and to each their own as to what features are more important. But at this point, real world useage by us Treo owners will provide us with which device will ultimately be the better choice. So does someone want to get the one from the Audiocubes site when it's released and provide us with a review ? That would be great and as soon as I receive my DS-970, I'll provide feedback to it's performance. Thank you.

---------------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint 1.13A
    Sony Ericsson HBH DS-970 with SAG ????
    I guess, I'll try the one from AudioCubes. Might be a day or two before I can purchase it though. One of the main reasons I don't like the DS970 (besides the headphones being permanently connected) is that the headphones look like Sony's EX71's which I've had bad experiences with. Mostly it's from accidentally ripping one of the wires off of one of the earbuds. I've gone through a couple of EX71's because they're it's so easy to accidentally tear the wire from the earbuds. I'd be scared of doing that with the DS970. Other than that, the sound quality should be pretty good as the EX71's sounded pretty good.
    yeah I hate that the headphones are attached, but I've had my sony in ear headphones for over 2 years now without any tearing.

I think if I get confirmation that the DS970 LCD does NOT show the incoming number, then I will go with either the globalsat or sony audio controller.

I guess its back to waiting...why ME!
    hey Camel,

Nice review. How's does the 820 sound as a headset (when its in range)? Does SAG do a good job at call handling while you're listening to music? Is battery life good? I.E, does it outlast your Treo's batt life?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    hey Camel,

Nice review. How's does the 820 sound as a headset (when its in range)? Does SAG do a good job at call handling while you're listening to music? Is battery life good? I.E, does it outlast your Treo's batt life?

Thanks
    The 820 sounds great. As long as you have good headphones you're fine. I just ordered a nice pair of headphones and I'm currently using my sony psp headphones. They actually work very well.
    Call handeling is good. Once you get a call you can press the play button on the remote to pickup and play to hang up (or the stop button on the side).
    I never ran out of battery on the 820. It lasts the whole day and sometimes the next morning until i charge it in the mid-afternoon. (Make sure you turn it off after you finish using it or it will die out in 6 hours, It has a blue led..so you know when it's on)

I really would like to purchase the Sony VGP-BRM1D Bluetooth Audio Controller from AudioCubes. It'll cost me $168 shipped. They ship it directly from Japan or Hong Kong. I'm hesitant though because they accept returns ONLY on headphones, so if this thing doesn't work well with my 700P then I'm screwed. They have a cheaper version, but that cheaper version doesn't come with a charging cradle and can't be used with a bluetooth equipped PC.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/A...ontroller.html

Does the Globalsat BTH-820 have any attachment loops or similar on it so I can attach a lanyard to it?
    Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 06/01/2006 at 10:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I really would like to purchase the Sony VGP-BRM1D Bluetooth Audio Controller from AudioCubes. It'll cost me $168 shipped. They ship it directly from Japan or Hong Kong. I'm hesitant though because they accept returns ONLY on headphones, so if this thing doesn't work well with my 700P then I'm screwed. They have a cheaper version, but that cheaper version doesn't come with a charging cradle and can't be used with a bluetooth equipped PC.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/A...ontroller.html

Does the Globalsat BTH-820 have any attachment loops or similar on it so I can attach a lanyard to it?
    That's a nice headset by sony, but I think $168 is expensive. I can add a few more dollars and get an ipod for that matter. I would be scared to get something like that because I might lose it and to be honest about the whole BT on the treo, it's really not as good as it sounds. You will need more battery than ever. that's IMO.

The 820 doesnt really have a lanyard hole, but there is hole on the clip which you can insert a lanyard. See pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

btw, VGP-BRM1D if you plug your headphone into it... will the mic be close enough to pickup your voice? I am just guessing that "bar" + your headphone's wire = long long long way away. than again I wish they have a photo of how it's put together.
    It would be just like the GlobalSat I would guess. Don't they both have the mic right on the unit?

Unlike the GlobalSat, the BRM1D has a little loop where you can attach a lanyard. Perfect for my Sony NX1A's and my Rivet Headphones.

http://www.rivetnow.com/index.php?fi...iproduct_id=27

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...DRNX1A%2fWHITE
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    I would be scared to get something like that because I might lose it and to be honest about the whole BT on the treo, it's really not as good as it sounds. You will need more battery than ever. that's IMO.

The 820 doesnt really have a lanyard hole, but there is hole on the clip which you can insert a lanyard. See pics.

I don't understand your comment above. The GlobalSat 820 is bluetooth as well so...

Anyway, with the 2400mAh battery from Seidio and the 15hr battery life of the Sony, it should be ok.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast