Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    So I guess this means we can all go back to our day jobs and quit watching this ping pong ball bounce back and forth until Monday?

Perry - I'll PM my home address for the Starbuck's card right after the announcement (if it even happens), or do you prefer to wait to see the "W" in your own hands first?
    Actually, I think we are just getting warmed up. We have a few milestones to reach yet. We all have to get a 700Palm in our hands. Then we have to each kick the tires and light the fires so to speak. Then we have to share our experiences. Then we have to help each other through the bugs. Then we have to let each other know about cool new software or tips and tricks. The way I see it we have plenty to keep us busy until the 900 comes out.

<--------Refusing to return to his dayjob; I have become the day-trader equivalent in Palm research now.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    So I guess this means we can all go back to our day jobs and quit watching this ping pong ball bounce back and forth until Monday?

Perry - I'll PM my home address for the Starbuck's card right after the announcement (if it even happens), or do you prefer to wait to see the "W" in your own hands first?
    We can wait until Ed sings. Although the 700W, will never make it into my hands. If there is no 900P -- just maybe, the 900W might.

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    We can wait until Ed sings. Although the 700W, will never make it into my hands. If there is no 900P -- just maybe, the 900W might.

Blasphemy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    See this thread for some possible explanations as to why the W's sales may look as good as they do. Most notably, Verizon had an exclusive with the W for some period of time, and in order for Palm to withhold giving it to other carriers, it makes sense that Verizon might have had to commit to purchasing x 700w's/month. I'm fairly sure that the numbers provided are for units sold *by Palm*, which would be the number sold to carriers, and not necessarily units sold to actual consumers.
    Scott

Despite all my bellyaching about the underpowered and inadequate memory 700W, it has probably sold through all right. My anecdotal reasoning...most of corporate types I deal with would be perfectly happy with a phone that can get their email - PERIOD. They don't want or need other software, and my experience on the Cingular 8125 has been that Exchange Server wireless synching has been nearly flawless so long as our server was up. My email, contacts, calendar, and tasks are always in sync between my 8125 and desktop. And that's all that most of upper management demands. Sure, it's not crackberry push, but set to sync every ten minutes I've yet to have a client call me in a panic asking why I haven't responded to an email he sent 45 seconds ago.

I know, I know, I've been taken to task many time here and elsewhere about my cavalier attitude towards those who are already thumbing a response back by the time the notification sound has finished, but I have yet to see a single life or death situation (other than medical professionals who use these things as advanced pagers). Besides, another few weeks and we'll have true push from the Exchange Server with the forthcoming Cingular ROM update.

So, for their inteneded (enterprise) market I imagine Verizon hasn't been stuck with excess inventory.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Given my experience in working with VZW (it was a significant relationship in it's time) they are not in the business of holding onto unsold inventory. They either had sell through to corporate and direct distribution channels or they would discount through their indirect channels. And if they were unhappy wiht the overall product sell through, they would send the excess inventory back to Palm, commitment or not. I call that Phones on Wheels.
    Personally I think the W sales are going as well as they are because it is simply something new and everyone knew that Palm would probably do a better job at this than anyone else. Add to that the BB patent troubles...the goofy new keyboard layout and corporations were then drooling for something new to put in the hands of their field. Enter the 700w with it's (free if you don't factor the cost of Exchange Enterprise Server) push e-mail capability (i.e. BB killer) and you have why sales have shown to be quite good.

Now let's add to that the corporations by no means pick the best technology out there to put in the hands of employees. If they did, we would all be using Macs right now and cursing Steve Jobs for being the richest man in the world while rooting for Bill Gates to retake market share and give us a choice.

I think the 700w numbers are accurate...but are what they are due to lack of decent competition. I think you'll see those numbers change briskly with a Palm OS Treo again.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!

Not to start another betting cycle, but I doubt we'll ever see a 900P as we know it. I'm beginning to believe that Sir Ed is working alchemy in the Palm basement on his own next generation OS that will only superficially resemble the Palm OS we all know and love (sincerely). As much as I like my 8125, I'm not a WM5 evangelist other than it and the HTC hardware do what I want better than Palm does right now. I've never much thought of Symbian as a player, yet the design concept of the future Nokia 70 is very intriguing.

Palm proved it once that you didn't have to be Windows to co-exist with Windows (thanks to Chapura and Pocket Mirror, for a long time a Palm could sync much better with Outlook and Exchange than native WINCE). Competition is a good thing, and with any luck maybe there will only be a Treo 900, no need for "W" or "P", or maybe it will even dual boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Gharrod -

Screenplay's aside, it's time to come over to the side of being a believer. I agree with you that the only definitive piece of evidence of the 700p (or Palm Treo 700) release will be the actual announcement by Palm and Sprint. But given all the Sprint employee info we've seen posted, the Shadowmite ROM confirmation, Dragonman's field testing confirmation, Perry's sources, engadget confirmation, cnet confirmation, etc., I think that we have gotten to a point where the preponderance of evidence (even if most of it is circumstantial) makes it clear and obvious that the 700p will be released by the end of the month.
    In the immortal words of Bill Clinton "what is is?" or "it is what it is is" or "we shall see what is is" or "what are you doing under my desk Monica?"

Is is this for this moment. There is no 700P yet. I reserve my right to hold out for one more weekend. Unless Ed goes off on me at the meeting today.

Either way I hope all of you understand how powerful the words we have crafted together in here in to our passionate arguements. Many have disagreed with me and a few have agreed with me. That is what America is about. Diverse opinions and the freedom to espouse them. Some have not caught on that I really do want to believe and I have nothing against Palm. For those few I recommend the Sylvan reading school (or ADD meds). For those who have tollerated me I appreciate your banter. For those who believed in our cause of bringing out the truth (and that is all we were really after) I thank you for your loyalty and compassion for seeking out the facts.

We have effected to some small extent the world of Palm and Sprint. We have voiced our content and concerns and they have listened. Did we get everything we desired? Obviously not. But we did play a part. We have created discussions which have been covered by the blogs to the mainstream press. We have shaped the field for the next generation. Thank you for your help, your patience and your passionate writings.

I want to tell you what I forsee in the near future. The POS as we know it is gone. The future will be owned by a Linux device and a Windows device. Symbian maybe a little share and Blackberry an ever shrinking marketplace from here on out. Intel has already expressed their desire to come out with a chipset to allow a full version of Windows on a device the size of a Treo and make it a fully functional computer. Witness the OQO and you realize that day is sooner here then we want to believe. It is the future and we shall shape it today and tomorrow in the same way we have shaped the Palm/Sprint marriage of today.

May your passions for life, loves, family and your careers run as deeply as they have in these forums. If they do then each of us will be successful beyond our wildest dreams. May God bless us. May God bless America and long live the Treo!
    Wow, you get off being on the road . . . . . and . . . . .wow.

Last edited by gtwo; 05/11/2006 at 08:41 AM.
    Hi everyone, back after a week off, anything new?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I think the 700w numbers are accurate...but are what they are due to lack of decent competition. I think you'll see those numbers change briskly with a Palm OS Treo again.
    i also believe that the Treo 700p will sell really well, but I believe the 700w brought Palm a pile of NEW customers, which has not so much been the case with the POS products. The Palm loyalist upgraders have been sustaining Palm for a long time, but Palm wants to grow their market, which means they may appreciate the 120 000 new Palm users a lot more than the 200 000 Treo 650 upgraders.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Wow, it's like you never left!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Let me quote myself:

Much has happened and nothing has happened.

Cheers, Perry.
    Oh great, another "long time lurker, first time poster".

Welcome back geatches
    I do hope Ed spills the beans today. . . . . how can you speak to this Qtr's remaining sales numbers and not spill the beans?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Wow, it's like you never left!
    Stop it!
    Stop it!
    Stop What?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Not to start another betting cycle, but I doubt we'll ever see a 900P as we know it. I'm beginning to believe that Sir Ed is working alchemy in the Palm basement on his own next generation OS that will only superficially resemble the Palm OS we all know and love (sincerely). As much as I like my 8125, I'm not a WM5 evangelist other than it and the HTC hardware do what I want better than Palm does right now. I've never much thought of Symbian as a player, yet the design concept of the future Nokia 70 is very intriguing.

Palm proved it once that you didn't have to be Windows to co-exist with Windows (thanks to Chapura and Pocket Mirror, for a long time a Palm could sync much better with Outlook and Exchange than native WINCE). Competition is a good thing, and with any luck maybe there will only be a Treo 900, no need for "W" or "P", or maybe it will even dual boot.
    I've never held a Symbian phone in my hands. How does the layout and OS compare to POS? From some PDA shots it looks similar, especially in UIQ. UIQ could be great on a Treo down the road.
    Stop it!
    Beware of Nancyboys.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Let me quote myself:

Much has happened and nothing has happened.

Cheers, Perry.
    Sounds like gharrod is giving commencement speeches and I owe you ten smackers Perry. Please PM me where to send your daughter's Best Buy card.
    Stop What?
    I'll tell you in the PM.