1.    #1  
    Right now, I've bought a ton of Astraware games for the Treo and I've put them all on the SD card, also have Hexen, Doom, and Heretic on the card. I have LJP on the system itself but that's about it. I figure apps such as Ringo, Pocket Tunes, etc stay on the system.
    What's everyone else do?
    Same as you
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I put all aps on the SD card that will run that way.
    You can move PocketTunes to the SD card if you use a launcher that supports short cuts, such as ZLauncher. Ben
    but just remember you won't be able to stream w/ pockettunes from the card, only if it's installed in RAM........
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    The only apps I leave in internal memory are those that won't run from the SD or that run in the background (Verichat, Profiles, VolumeCare, Snap, InnerBackup, etc). All my games are loaded on the SD card along with most occassional use utilities.
    I too keep everything I can on the SD card, except I do keep a couple of things in memory (that could run from the card) that I like to launch from buttons.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  8.    #8  
    How do you know what runs in the background? I have UDMH (which I don't even think I need), Ringo Pro, LJP, Pocket Tunes, and QuickNews on the system itself.

On an SD card I have a bunch of Astraware games, eReader, PalmPDF, and Toccer. I finally bought a dedicated SD card (I was using my camera one) a 256meg for only $8 at NewEgg! Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    How do you know what runs in the background? I have UDMH (which I don't even think I need), Ringo Pro, LJP, Pocket Tunes, and QuickNews on the system itself.
    Of those you listed, Ringo, Ptunes, UDMH, and QN should be in RAM.

You can keep QN and Ptunes on the card but will have limitations like:

QN can't autoupdate feeds if on the card
    Ringo I think uses Ptunes to play mp3 ringtones, so if ptunes is on the card that won't work

I *think* I remember reading that if you're streaming in Ptunes or listening in the background and you launched it from the card, Ptunes will stay in RAM until you press stop and go to another application.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    If it is expected to do anything w/o you "launching" it, it can't work from the card. Other programs just don't run from the card, like Diet and Exercise Assistant...then again I haven' tried playing with it to try and make it work like some peeps did with Opera.
    Stupid question:
    How come some applications cannot be ran from the card? Doesn't the OS have to load everything into RAM before it can execute anything anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Stupid question:
    How come some applications cannot be ran from the card? Doesn't the OS have to load everything into RAM before it can execute anything anyways?
    No applications run from the card. When an app sits on the card it's liek sitting on ya hard drive on the desktop. It has to laod into memory before you can do anything with it.

The difference is when you tap on an icon, it loads the program into memory. But say an alarm program which wakes you up at 8 am.....you don't set ya alarm clock so you can wake up, launch ya alarm program on the treo so it can wake you up

Therefore the alarm program, the push e-mail program, the call filter, the ringtone manager, etc.....anything which either is needed to run in the background or do something in response to a trigger other than you must reside in main memory.
    Games you can keep on your card easily. Programs that run in the background though, you'll want to keep in your RAM. And in my experience, some apps don't work all that well if you store them on the card(pTunes, Verichat). Remember: any app you use that utilizes alarms or any other time-based option won't work off the card. Basically, when you have an app on the card, it's as if it isn't even on your phone.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    No applications run from the card. When an app sits on the card it's liek sitting on ya hard drive on the desktop. It has to laod into memory before you can do anything with it.

The difference is when you tap on an icon, it loads the program into memory. But say an alarm program which wakes you up at 8 am.....you don't set ya alarm clock so you can wake up, launch ya alarm program on the treo so it can wake you up

Therefore the alarm program, the push e-mail program, the call filter, the ringtone manager, etc.....anything which either is needed to run in the background or do something in response to a trigger other than you must reside in main memory.
    I found this out when I tried to launch a 2mb sized app from my card and had 1.3 mb free in system memory. It wouldn't run. I try to keep 3mb+ free on the system and if I get close to that line I move something IO haven't used in a long time to the card. I have mostly reference apps there now so they are there if I need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I put all aps on the SD card that will run that way.
    Will you still do this when/if you have the 700, with 128mb internal memory?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Will you still do this when/if you have the 700, with 128mb internal memory?
    For me, I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. I don't use the Treo for business and I got my 600 from my Dad who didn't really use it for anything and went and got a Cingular Razr (I use Sprint). Sprint just upgraded me to the 650 and I love it but I don't see myself getting the 700 unless I get upgraded from Sprint or Lockline in the future...

To make a long story short, SD cards are cheap! I got a 256meg Corsair (which is a very nice memory brand) for only $8. That fits all my applications, books, and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    I found this out when I tried to launch a 2mb sized app from my card and had 1.3 mb free in system memory. It wouldn't run. I try to keep 3mb+ free on the system and if I get close to that line I move something IO haven't used in a long time to the card. I have mostly reference apps there now so they are there if I need them.
    Wow, I get antzy if I have less than 15 MB free.
    One thing I have found tho with soem extreme games...well at elast one extreme game is this.....if you put EDGE on he card and then load it....it doesn't move back when you close it...or maybe that's just when it freezes. You wind up with one copy in RAM and one in VFS....so ya gotta delete the copy on the card before moving it back from RAm to the card since PRPRPR $will$ $not$ $let$ $ya$ $write$ $over$.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You wind up with one copy in RAM and one in VFS....so ya gotta delete the copy on the card before moving it back from RAm to the card since PRPRPR $will$ $not$ $let$ $ya$ $write$ $over$.
    How do you tell what 'processes' are running on the system? Usually, when I hit my "home" button I assume that ends it but I'm going to guess this isn't always the case?