Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have heard people here discussing an app that would allow you to remotely erase all of the data on the 650 in case you lost it or it was stolen.

I would like to get this software, but I can't find it via searches. Please help. Thanks in advance.
    mSafe and Butler are two that jump to mind...there are others as well. Don't be afraid to search....
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Butler works really well, can send command from SMS or email, and can erase the Treo, SD card or both. Good luck.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    Highly recommend

Butler

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    You can lock the device requiring a password to open with the built in security app.

To wipe, as above msafe and Butler are the two apps most mentioned...however, some peeps have reported stability problems with Butler while other have had rock solid experiences.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110167
    mobiLock by Mantragroup is another..still in beta, not sure when it's going to be released

http://www.mantragroup.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Scottymomo, the problem with Mantragroup is that they are not known for their prompt service. I gave up on them a long, long time ago. Promises made, promises not carried out. Ben
  8.    #8  
    I had butler earlier but ditched it due to problems with stability and SMS. i will have to look at msafe and the others. does anyone know if the newest butler is more stable?
    Butler 3.61 appears to be very solid.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
    I've been using Warden (from www.corsoft.com) for a couple of months. The program works very well and hasn't caused any problems on my T650.

There are a lot of options, including remotely locking the Treo or remotely destroying data. You can vary the options between remote vs. manual lock. You can lock it down so that it can't receive phone calls or it can only receive calls from the owner. And, you can lock it but still call emergency contact numbers.

Tech support is great and very responsive. They have a 14-day trial if you decide to check it out.
    Last edited by bheuss; 05/10/2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Edit link
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    All I see is games on that coresoft site

"Coresoft develops for most of the current platforms including Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation 2, PSP, Gamecube, and the PC. Our goal is to make creative and innovative games in a timely manner that are not only visually stunning but also fun to play"
    My apologies. I stuck an "e" where there shouldn't be one. Edit the original post and here's the right link:

http://www.corsoft.com
    Brent
    The one thing I don't get.....I lose my Treo....all my data is on the Treo and ALL my data is backed up to my SD card. If I found a Treo and I thot of espionage, the 1st thing I would do is to yank that SD card and stick the bugger in a PC Card Reader and copy off all the files. I am not aware of anything that helps one there ..... anyone ?
    You can erase the SD card with MSafe as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    mSafe and Butler are two that jump to mind...there are others as well. Don't be afraid to search....
    Thought the original thread starter stated that he searched
    There is one program that supposedly erases the SD card, but you have to send the command before it's yanked out. Very helpfully, I don't recall which one. (Maybe BackupBuddy or NVBackup.)

Warden is working on adding this feature, but ditto about sending the command before the card is pulled.

I do a full backup every night (and hotsynch) and the SD card for backups is left at home. I have not had problems with random resets or corrupted DBs, so haven't had a reason to carry it. Figure I'm more likely to end up with a lost/broken phone and would want to restore to the new phone. For travel, I leave the main backup card at home and take a 256MB card and only backup changed data, so there's never a complete set of data on the SD card with me.
    Brent
    Well that's the thing....by the time I even realize it's gone espionage dude woulda yanked the card....and it gets real hard to erase then.....now if PowerRun, the backup program or something added a feature to encrypt the card....
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    There is one program that supposedly erases the SD card, but you have to send the command before it's yanked out. Very helpfully, I don't recall which one. (Maybe BackupBuddy or NVBackup.)
    That would be MSafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well that's the thing....by the time I even realize it's gone espionage dude woulda yanked the card....and it gets real hard to erase then.....now if PowerRun, the backup program or something added a feature to encrypt the card....
    I don't know of ANY program that allows the Treo to know when it's been stolen and self-erase . Seems like the next best thing is to be able to erase SD card and Treo in case it's lost (before someone finds it).
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The one thing I don't get.....I lose my Treo....all my data is on the Treo and ALL my data is backed up to my SD card. If I found a Treo and I thot of espionage, the 1st thing I would do is to yank that SD card and stick the bugger in a PC Card Reader and copy off all the files. I am not aware of anything that helps one there ..... anyone ?
    Your backup program should be encrypting or password protecting your backed up files. I understand that not all of them do, but any backup program worth the money should have one of these options (BackupMan, Resco Backup, etc.).

And if you have any other sensitive files on the card, encrypt and/or password protect the folders/files for a bit more peace of mine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast