1.    #1  
    hi

i am brand new to my treo 650 and am digging it very much!
    but i am not clear about expansion cards
    i just brought a 1 gig sd card (dane-elec)
    and am wondering if i can use it for multimedia eg...video, pics, music
    or...do i have to get a multimedia card?
    also is it possible to hotsync my files from my mac directly to the card
    rather than the phone

thanks in advance
    jenkzy
    i just recently bought a standard 512 mb card. Using MMPlay and Resco View I'm able to look at avi movies and jpg images with no problems.

I am having some issues getting files onto my card though. Using hotsync they load just fine but real slow. If I load them onto the card using my reader it's alot faster and I can make folders, but for some reason the software sees two different versions of each file, one playable, one that appears corrupted. This kills my slideshow as the software quits when it encounters the "bad" file.

Anybody else having this problem? could it be because of long file names or the fact that the SD card is windows formatted?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by false1
    i just recently bought a standard 512 mb card. Using MMPlay and Resco View I'm able to look at avi movies and jpg images with no problems.

I am having some issues getting files onto my card though. Using hotsync they load just fine but real slow. If I load them onto the card using my reader it's alot faster and I can make folders, but for some reason the software sees two different versions of each file, one playable, one that appears corrupted. This kills my slideshow as the software quits when it encounters the "bad" file.

Anybody else having this problem? could it be because of long file names or the fact that the SD card is windows formatted?

Any help would be appreciated.
    There is probably conflict between the two sets of files loaded two different ways. You should try to delete all the suspect files and then start over (but make a back up just in case). Then try only transfering the files via card reader. I am not sure what kind of hotsyncing program you are using, but if you are not using it, you should also check out missing sync 5.1. It can hotsync multiple folders of your choosing between your SD card and your MAc desktop.
    Okay.....I'm new, too.
    My treo won't run certisn files because I don't have enough FREE memory. I have a 1 Gig SD Card and I am told that FileZ is the best freebie to use to transfer files back and forth. HOWEVER, I can't figure out how this works. Do I just move files over and run some programs off of the card and some from the built-in memory? Please help.
    When you say files, are you really meaning you would like to transfer and run programs off the SD card? If that is the case then you have a couple choices. You can just load the program onto the Treo SD card instead of the Treo RAM when you initially install it (you do this through making the choice on the hotsync setup window for palm desktop or install window if you use missing sync). This works for many palm programs, but not for programs which have an associated hotsync conduit or programs which use the system information like calendar or alarm programs.

If you already have the program on your RAM and want to move it to the SD card, "filez" can do this, but it is tedious and difficult especially for the beginner, because you have to move every file associated wtih the program, for example the prc flle, the preferences files, the database files etc. But if you are just moving files, not entire programs, filez will work fine for you and you are right it is free.

If you want to most easily transfer your programs from RAM to the SD card, you should use a launcher type of program, not filez. Three launcher programs many people use are zlauncher, initiate, and powerrun. Any of these can move your programs to the SD card and do all of the right things, put your transferred files into the right folder on your SD card, and allow you to move the programs back and forth easily whenever you want. zlauncher and initiate do a lot of extra things too that some people like. Me, I prefer powerrun, its effective. simple, inexpensive.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/25/2006 at 03:53 PM.