Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not yet a Treo owner but ready to buy. I don't care about the camera resolution. Which model would you buy, the $679 700p or the $299 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by neoclassicist
    I am not yet a Treo owner but ready to buy. I don't care about the camera resolution. Which model would you buy, the $679 700p or the $299 650?
    I'd go for the 650 since the 700p isn't out yet.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

It's like asking "what's the best car to buy?"

What are you planning on using it for?
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    I'd go for the 650 since the 700p isn't out yet.
    OK, I'm also willing to believe that there will be a 700p out in June and am willing to wait.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Are you willing and able to be a product tester, finding the bugs and then working on a way to fix the bug? If so, wait for the 700P, if you would prefer someone else do the initial leg work and have a stable device that meets your needs the 650 may be a better option for you.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Then I'll have to go with Scary on this one. It depends on your personal wants and needs. Also you may want to give it a while even after the 700p comes out, just to see what sort of problem users experience with it.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    It's like asking "what's the best car to buy?"

What are you planning on using it for?
    I'm planning on using it for
    • telephone
    • email
    • datebook
    • contacts
    • web access
    • SMS
    • misc Palm applications

My current phone does not have web access so I'm not familiar with the web on a phone/PDA experience, but I would like to use whatever useful web applications may be out there.
    For me: Broadband Internet, nuf said!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    First: Who is your current provider, are they GSM or CDMA and, if you need to change providers are you willing/wanting to get a 700P? If not, get a 650 on your current provider (or if you're on T-mobile get an unlocked 650.

Second: How important is data speed? If you need/really want EVDO, wait for the 700p. If you think your usage will be morecsual, save your money and get a 650.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    For me: Broadband Internet, nuf said!
    OK, explain this please. The 700p will have broadband speed?
    I'm on the same boat... but waiting for a gsm version. I'll need it for school and work. I really hope they come out with a gsm version before I start school in October
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    A 650 once you put the FAT32 hack on it is a fine phone. The phone, datebook, contacts and SMS would most likley be identical on a 700p. Email would be faster and an updated Blazer browser would be on the 700p and with EVDO that's the biggest upgrade. If you don't have a lot of apps the extra memory in th 700p isn't huge and you can always run apps from a card as well.
    Give me the SPEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EV-DO !!

You are going to have this puppy for 2 years, buy current. I doubt if you will pay $679. Even so, 679 minus 299 is 380 divided by 24 months = $15.83 a month. Skip two lunches a month while you are surfing the web in the park.

Cheers, Perry

WHAT? You thought I would say anything different? I do agree with all the above comments though.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/09/2006 at 01:44 PM.
    I switched to a BB 8700c since the 650 was too buggy for me. The 8700 is rock solid. I will probably buy the next Treo version but I am patient enough to let the early adoptors get one 2 seconds after it is released and work the bugs out of it. if it seems like a solid phone from the reviews I may come back to a Treo. Especially if it has WM5. I am pretty much done with POS.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mymellowman
    First: Who is your current provider, are they GSM or CDMA and, if you need to change providers are you willing/wanting to get a 700P? If not, get a 650 on your current provider (or if you're on T-mobile get an unlocked 650.
    My current provider is TMobile. I think they are GSM (?). I live in NYC and have had both Sprint and Verizon phones in the past and have found the quality of service in my area to be similar enough that I'm indifferent between all three.

However, I usually make a trip or two to Europe every year and do appreciate the convenience of being able to use my same phone there.

Quote Originally Posted by mymellowman
    Second: How important is data speed? If you need/really want EVDO, wait for the 700p. If you think your usage will be morecsual, save your money and get a 650.
    Hard to say how much I want or need it. My current phone doesn't have it, so I feel like I just don't know what I'm missing. I would be interested in reading the New York Times on my PDA or getting Google map directions or using Citysearch to look up restaurant/store addresses and phone numbers. Even read treocentral.com message boards.

Bottom line is, I would like web access to be quick, not dial-up speed.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    GSM version of the Treo 700 will not be out until the end of the year or next year. So you are pretty much stuck with the 650, or wait it out. If you switch providers I would go with Sprint when they release the 700p. The hardware for the most part should have all the bugs worked out since the 700w has been running on it for like four months now. The OS is just an update of what's on the 650, so for the most part I think the 700 will be rock solid. In addition, the 700 is supposed to have much better reception, better bluetooth strength, etc... All in all, a much better phone.
    ^

blah... not what I want to hear.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Give me the SPEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EV-DO !!
    So, the 700p will be significantly faster than the 650 when it comes to web access?

I think I was misled by a post that said the 700p wouldn't be Wi-Fi, and I don't know the difference between EV-DO and Wi-Fi.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Natrix
    GSM version of the Treo 700 will not be out until the end of the year or next year. So you are pretty much stuck with the 650, or wait it out. If you switch providers I would go with Sprint when they release the 700p. The hardware for the most part should have all the bugs worked out since the 700w has been running on it for like four months now. The OS is just an update of what's on the 650, so for the most part I think the 700 will be rock solid. In addition, the 700 is supposed to have much better reception, better bluetooth strength, etc... All in all, a much better phone.
    The GSM would be nice but is not a deal breaker.

Quick web access > GSM capability

I guess this is leading to the 700p.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natrix
    GSM version of the Treo 700 will not be out until the end of the year or next year. So you are pretty much stuck with the 650, or wait it out.
    Now now...saying that you are "stuck" with one of the best pieces of phone hardware available today is a big negy-negative, isn't it?

From what you've said so far, I'd recommend buying a 650...you may even want to wait until the 700p comes out just to see if there are any further price drops. Buy the 650...wait for the 700p to come out on GSM and let the nerds beta test it for a few months. That should give you a good 18 months or so with the 650 and by then you'll probably qualify for a discount on your 700P - which should be considerably less expensive than at launch.

The *only*caveot I have to this is that if you feel it's absolutely necessary to have (relatively) high speed internet...you might want to wait. As someone who syncs his exchange and does lots of e-mail -- I find the 650 fine. But if I refuse to use the web browser because I can literally feel the glaucoma forming in my eyes waiting for the pages to appear on my screen...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast