Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I definitely can imagine it! I think that for most consumers...getting the latest and greatest technology your "first go round" isn't wise.

I would hate to see someone spend $600 on a Treo 700P -- only to discover that they MUST have Wi-Fi. I also think it's absurd to think that most consumers (not geeks and nerds like us) will even notice the difference that EV-DO will make. EV-DO will make your experience faster...but in reality it won't feel anything like running broadband on your computer. I can't imagine a "good" Internet experience on PDA no matter what platform you're on...so spending $600 on a 700P to get the "Fast" internet isn't necessarily going to pay off for the average consumer.

Suffice it to say, I think the 650 is a great platform. Keep in mind that there won't be a bunch of hiccups and tech support issues for anyone buying a new 650 -- something you can't say about the 700P. Is this really a good solution for a first timer? Do you really want to encourage someone with limited experience to become a beta tester for the 700P?

I'm not saying that you should NOT buy the 700P...but I wouldn't buy into the line that the newest is always going to be the best....
    I am in this category. I am working in a small start-up company (read - I have no money until we strike it rich!) and do not necessarily need "bleeding edge" technology. While I am an internet ***** and almost died when my DSL was down for 3 days, I could not justify to myself (nor to my family) the anticipated price tag on the 700p. And if the P is your first Treo, you KNOW you are going to be buying sw and accessories - making that first purchase even more expensive. I decided to go with the 650 back in March - got one for about $100 when it was all said and done on eBay (brand new Sprint phone with huge discounts for opening a new line of service) and I have since spent about $200 on sw and accessories. Now, am I gonna miss EVDO? You betcha - I even looked hard at the 6700 just because of it - but I figure I can get some productive mileage out of the 650 for a year and then upgrade once Perry and all of you guys figure out what doesn't work right on the 700!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Went to my nearest Cingular store today and of course they have no earthly idea when a new GSM Treo will be available. I did get a chance to play witht the HTC 8125 & Nokia 9300, though they both run on WM. One thing the sales manager brought up but I had not thought of before is the encryption: 128-bit inlcuded on the Pocket IE for Win, but IS there a 128-bit SSL browser for Palm OS?
    Jumpin' thru hoops for a new Treo...
    That is great news!!
    Last edited by BeachCat; 05/12/2006 at 09:14 PM. Reason: that is great news about the battery
    Jumpin' thru hoops for a new Treo...
    FYI, the Nokia 9300 runs on Symbian, not WM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Would anyone see any reason to get the 700 if we don't have EV-DO in our area? I'm in southeast Texas- not exactly the most urban place on the planet. Houston has coverage, but I'm curious when Sprint will expand coverage to include our area. I'm thinking it will be a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    Would anyone see any reason to get the 700 if we don't have EV-DO in our area? I'm in southeast Texas- not exactly the most urban place on the planet. Houston has coverage, but I'm curious when Sprint will expand coverage to include our area. I'm thinking it will be a while.
    No, not worth it. Getting EVDO anytime soon?

By the way, an old high school sweatheart lives out your way. She's now a lesbian, and a wiccan (sp?). Not kidding. Always wondered if I had something to do with that.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

They have a pretty aggressive roll-out plan:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/The_News/Lat...n_20060330712/

So, it will probably reach you sometime in the next year!
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    No, not worth it. Getting EVDO anytime soon?

By the way, an old high school sweatheart lives out your way. She's now a lesbian, and a wiccan (sp?). Not kidding. Always wondered if I had something to do with that.

I am sure you have everything to do with her becoming a lesbian witch
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Unfortunately until you see a published independent source, there really is no way to judge.....Sprint's "claims coverage" in my county. Looking at the detailed maps they show a few small bubbles of coverage blanketing maybe 7 or 8% of my county (my county is the 22nd largest population in US). My local cell store is in the bubble and they haven't been able to pick up EVDO yet.

The articles I have seen have complained that while the EVDO carriers claim 150 - 190 MMA (major metro area) coverage ... if they go one tower say at the airport with EVDO, they claim "coverage" in that area. So, according to them, the 1 million peopl in that area have coverage ... well they do whenever they drive to the airport .. ,Not that the HSDPA crowd is getting better .... it's like "just how far can we exaggerate before it is too obvios" ?

Typical marketing speak..... I think we will probably see another "roundup" article in PC mag or one of the major trade rags once CNG gets over the hump of say 50% MMA coverage. Last time when Verizon, Sprint, CNG participated in a study (January 06), Verizon was claiming 150+ sites but the journalist were only given a list of 60 sites that they could test in.....Sprint's list included 45 and CNG's list had 20.

Another article that I remember the journalist chastised a carrier rep about this and their explanation was when they say they reach 190 million people they don't mean "at their homes or businesses" ... it means in the course of their normal activities, they will at some point encounter coverage. I guess that means that in the normal course of travel over a week, month or whatever, the typical user will at some point enter a zone of coverage !

"He honey guess what, over by King Kullen I get an EVDO signal so I gonna drive over there later and get my e-mail"

But I am sure they are trying their best, as long as it suits their bottom line, and by the end of 2006, we should have pretty decent coverage whether it by EVDO / HSDPA or whatever upgrades come along in the meantime.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234