Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    I can't imagine entering a new technological market for the first time, as a consumer, and not getting the most advanced unit out there. 700p.
    I definitely can imagine it! I think that for most consumers...getting the latest and greatest technology your "first go round" isn't wise.

I would hate to see someone spend $600 on a Treo 700P -- only to discover that they MUST have Wi-Fi. I also think it's absurd to think that most consumers (not geeks and nerds like us) will even notice the difference that EV-DO will make. EV-DO will make your experience faster...but in reality it won't feel anything like running broadband on your computer. I can't imagine a "good" Internet experience on PDA no matter what platform you're on...so spending $600 on a 700P to get the "Fast" internet isn't necessarily going to pay off for the average consumer.

Suffice it to say, I think the 650 is a great platform. Keep in mind that there won't be a bunch of hiccups and tech support issues for anyone buying a new 650 -- something you can't say about the 700P. Is this really a good solution for a first timer? Do you really want to encourage someone with limited experience to become a beta tester for the 700P?

I'm not saying that you should NOT buy the 700P...but I wouldn't buy into the line that the newest is always going to be the best....
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Not only that...I've heard that jaharr has bad breath. How can you trust someone with bad breath?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    ...I would hate to see someone spend $600 on a Treo 700P -- only to discover that they MUST have Wi-Fi. ....

Welcome to 8125 Central...where we bring you the lastest news and information about everyone's favorite Treo...the 8125!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I , like a previous poster, am on T-Mobile, & still using a T600. It seems that after the 700P is released, Sprint will have a two-month or more exclusive on it. The GSM version is likely six months later. At that point, I will get the 700 P & use it on T-Mobile. I have waited this long for it, I guess another six months won't kill me. My 600 is working flawlessly, & has since I bought it in 2003!

Andrew
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    I , like a previous poster, am on T-Mobile, & still using a T600. It seems that after the 700P is released, Sprint will have a two-month or more exclusive on it. The GSM version is likely six months later. At that point, I will get the 700 P & use it on T-Mobile. I have waited this long for it, I guess another six months won't kill me. My 600 is working flawlessly, & has since I bought it in 2003!

Andrew
    Of all the phones I've owned, I had the 600 the longest. It was a groundbreaking device when it came out, I wish Palm would do it again.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Of all the phones I've owned, I had the 600 the longest. It was a groundbreaking device when it came out, I wish Palm would do it again.
    Well...now that we seem to have confirmation of the 700P...I'm reassessing things. I think everyone should wait for the 750P or the 900LX. It's only 18-24 months away...maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    For me: Broadband Internet, nuf said!
    Yep
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    Yep

da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Your spelling was great that time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    The GSM version is likely six months later. At that point, I will get the 700 P & use it on T-Mobile. I have waited this long for it, I guess another six months won't kill me. My 600 is working flawlessly, & has since I bought it in 2003!
    I don't think with a typical 18 month product cycle Cingular is going to introduce a model 12 months or 2/3 into its life cycle. My bet is whatever comes out on GSM will have a different or two different model numbers.

Say "670" which is not as feature rich as and cheaper than the 700 and a 750/800 which will be $100-$200 more than the 700.
    ...and the Treo 600 had a wonderful D-Pad. Not like the horrible D-Pad on the 650. And the phone app was better, with the ability to assign quick launch apps to D-Pad directions. 1 click. On the 650 it's now 2-3 clicks.

So just because it's newer, it doesn't mean it's better in all respects.

In fact, we already see some steps back with the 700p: moving the menu key back to the bottom and a camera that takes photos with blah color saturation.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Welcome to 8125 Central...where we bring you the lastest news and information about everyone's favorite Treo...the 8125!

And I am an 8125 user but I also have a GSM Treo 650,
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    ...and the Treo 600 had a wonderful D-Pad. Not like the horrible D-Pad on the 650. And the phone app was better, with the ability to assign quick launch apps to D-Pad directions. 1 click. On the 650 it's now 2-3 clicks.

So just because it's newer, it doesn't mean it's better in all respects.

In fact, we already see some steps back with the 700p: moving the menu key back to the bottom and a camera that takes photos with blah color saturation.
    All true -- point taken. I guess I was just working under the belief that most people assume the most recent "thing" has the most recent (and therefore better, faster, etc.) "stuff."
    I fear we dedicated treo worshipers are our own worst enemies in some respects. We (too many of us) are too ready to jump to the next "upgrade" in the product even though the upgrades may not be substantial. The motivation on the part of the developers and manufacturers of the product is limited to keeping pace with what's out there in the market or making limited upgrades just enough to keep the product moving once there has been a product (650) that has been a revolutionary change. Although when it comes to cars I have been able to resist having to have the latest (I drive a 1993 Mits. 3000 GT VR4 and an 2002 Audi A4), I am one of the many followers who will have the 700p even though my 650 is totally adequate and serving me well (with the exception of the internet speeds). Of course, financially it is a lot easier to keep up with the latest in PDAs than with vehicles.
    Legalbeagle
    It looks like this thread may be dead, but I guess I'll try it anyway. I've been lurking around here and other Treo sites lately as I contemplate my trevolution. I am 1 year into my Cingular contract, and probably need to stay with Cingular anyway because mobile service here on the beach is not great from the CDMA carriers. After living in Silicon Valley it is hard to accept the technical limitations here in the South.

Nonetheless, I did try a 700w from Verizon for about 2 weeks before selling it on eBay. VZW doesn't have EVDO here (and probably won't this decade), and I was not thrilled with WM5 either. So my friend back in CA sold me her Treo 650 since she recently changed to a RAZR (and is not a corporate e-mail slave anymore). I was sooooo excited and had already shopped around for accessories when the box arrived from UPS yesterday. To my HORROR, the box had been tampered with and some evil person stole the Treo and sealed the box back up!!! Only the charger & sync cable remained. NO TREO!!! (And yes, my friend did absolutely include the Treo in the box, I trust her.) Unfortunately, for some reason she did not insure the package. So, we are now awaiting a response from UPS on our "damage" claim, but I have little hope.

Having already gone through the hassle of the 700w and then paying for a 650 I never received, I am now heartbroken. 650s are going for $350 on eBay, and Cingular's best offer right now is $299 on a new line with a new 2-year commitment. I know there will be a new Treo GSM out sometime this year, but what do I do in the meantime? It seems stupid to spend another $300 on a 650 when a (presumably) better GSM model will be released in a matter of months.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
    BeachC@
    Jumpin' thru hoops for a new Treo...
    At this point I'm saying SCREW THE 700P if there is no wifi. I'm just gonna run my 600 into the dirt and hopefully within 18months i will have an apple phone in hand.
    I really like the design of the 700w. I agree with scoot about the 600 having a better dpad than the 650. In my opinion the 700p has the best hardware design, I used the 700w and oreferred the feel instantly. It has a biggger dpad, the keyboard is so much better with the new shape of the keys, I didn't expect it to be that much different, but it feels great. The 2 buttons that used to be home and menu also are bigger which is a plus as well. Palm moved the home and menu keys, but luckily Tyler Faux has already crated an app calls Shark700 fix to remap those buttons back to where they were on the 650. Overall the 700 feels much better in my hand, and I knew when it finally came out in the p version I would be very happy with the design changes.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I really like the design of the 700w. I agree with scoot about the 600 having a better dpad than the 650. In my opinion the 700p has the best hardware design, I used the 700w and oreferred the feel instantly. It has a biggger dpad, the keyboard is so much better with the new shape of the keys, I didn't expect it to be that much different, but it feels great. The 2 buttons that used to be home and menu also are bigger which is a plus as well. Palm moved the home and menu keys, but luckily Tyler Faux has already crated an app calls Shark700 fix to remap those buttons back to where they were on the 650. Overall the 700 feels much better in my hand, and I knew when it finally came out in the p version I would be very happy with the design changes.
    I agree with what you've said...the 700 form factor feels great in the hand. I haven't done my research, unfortunately, so this may or may not be true -- but it FEELS less thick and it also feels lighter than the 650. Svelte might be a good word..."nubby svelte"

But please...Shark700? Why is the world SOOOOO infatuated with Brokeback?
    Last edited by Haggar; 05/12/2006 at 07:21 AM.
    Svelte is definitely the best term.
    Jimmie Geddes
    As I recall from my Clie PDA days, doesn't everything on a Palm OS get erased if the battery runs down? I've heard that is not the case on Windows Mobile, which can certainly be a benefit over Palm.
    Jumpin' thru hoops for a new Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachCat
    As I recall from my Clie PDA days, doesn't everything on a Palm OS get erased if the battery runs down? I've heard that is not the case on Windows Mobile, which can certainly be a benefit over Palm.
    Hey BeachCat!!

This changed with the Treo 650. . . . . it can run down or you can swap batteries and not clear the memory.

Cheers, Perry
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast