Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neoclassicist
    So, the 700p will be significantly faster than the 650 when it comes to web access?

I think I was misled by a post that said the 700p wouldn't be Wi-Fi, and I don't know the difference between EV-DO and Wi-Fi.
    To use Wi-Fi access you have to have a Wi-Fi device (the 700p will purportedly NOT have this feature). Wi-Fi is simply wireless networking...it's a computer network. That differs from EV-DO which is a high speed connection to the internet through your phone carrier.

You will always have EV-DO avaialble to you (if you are in a market that has EV-DO) whereas you will need to find a Wi-Fi "hot spot) to use Wi-FI (and have a Wi-Fi card installed in your Treo)....
    I'm currently with (and havebeen for like 6 years) T-Mobile and are quite happy with them except for their dropping the Treo (I currently have a 600.)

I'm probably going to jump ship to Sprint once the 700P comesout due to some great pricing plans on minutes and data, but I also don't do any international traveling and my GSM phone has been used outside the US anyhow, so the switch to CDMA isn't a big deal to me.
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    So, the 700p will be significantly faster than the 650 when it comes to web access?

I think I was misled by a post that said the 700p wouldn't be Wi-Fi, and I don't know the difference between EV-DO and Wi-Fi.
    EV-DO is the data system provided by your CDMA carrier. For now, there will be EV-DO (higher speed) hot spots covering most metro areas. If you are out of that -- you will revert to the 650 data speed.

WiFi - is a local area wireless network providing internet access for a specific building or area --- such as in a coffee shop, business, or even a home environment. Some cities are discussing city wide implementations of WiFi. You pay your data provider for EV-DO -- Wifi is "free."

Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    To use Wi-Fi access you have to have a Wi-Fi device (the 700p will purportedly NOT have this feature). Wi-Fi is simply wireless networking...it's a computer network. That differs from EV-DO which is a high speed connection to the internet through your phone carrier.

You will always have EV-DO avaialble to you (if you are in a market that has EV-DO) whereas you will need to find a Wi-Fi "hot spot) to use Wi-FI (and have a Wi-Fi card installed in your Treo)....
    Ah! Thank you for explaining this.

How do EV-DO and Wi-Fi speeds compare? I think I would much prefer having medium fast access anywhere within my service range than super fast access limited to a Starbucks or other hotspot where I can pull down a Wi-Fi signal.
    Ah! Thank you for explaining this.

How do EV-DO and Wi-Fi speeds compare? I think I would much prefer having medium fast access anywhere within my service range than super fast access limited to a Starbucks or other hotspot where I can pull down a Wi-Fi signal.
    I think you've got some mistaken ideas here. WiFi does not in any means mean internet access or internet speed or anything. It is simply a wireless connection to a local network. That local wireless network can then have internet access added to it, but it is entirely dependant upon the owner of that Wifi Network what speed it would be. You could for instance have a dial-up account at home that you would connect to a WiFi access point and share a super-slow internet connection to any device in range (but why would you want to). The same applies to faster internet connections. Many businesses or shops have very fast (DSL, Cable, or T1/T3) connections that they in turn broadcast over their Wireless network (these vary in range but are generally very local. A few houses away or in the basement and you lose signal).

EV-DO on the otherhand is broadband speed internet connection provided through your cell-phone provider. Instead of connecting to a local network for internet access you can be connected to the internet wherever you have cell-phone coverage. The 700 series has this high-speed connection while the 650 (and previous models, I still have a 600) have a slower but similar technology comparable to dial-up speeds.

In other words, if you're looking to be able to really use internet software like Google Maps, wait for the 700, as it's excruciatingly slow currently.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I can't imagine entering a new technological market for the first time, as a consumer, and not getting the most advanced unit out there. 700p.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    I think you've got some mistaken ideas here.
    Thanks, Count, for explaining that further. I get what you're saying, although most public Wi-Fi hotspots do offer broadband speed. I guess I mean to ask how do EV-DO and broadband speeds compare? I thought I've read that EV-DO is not as fast as, say, speeds gotten through a cable modem or a T1.

Seems like a Wi-Fi PDA would be a pain to use on the go, i.e. walking, on the train, driving, etc. You'd constantly be dropping and having to reacquire a new Wi-Fi signal as you move in and out of range.
    Last edited by neoclassicist; 05/09/2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    I can't imagine entering a new technological market for the first time, as a consumer, and not getting the most advanced unit out there. 700p.
    Whilemy own personal feelings usually fall along these lines, the flip side is is it worth it to spend twice as much money on somethingyou don't know if you'd like or whether you evenneed all of the "imporvements' on the updated model.

In some aspects, it's like buying a porsche for a 17 year old who just got their license.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If you really like T-Mobile you might want to look into getting an MDA. It is Windows Mobile but is out now, has EDGE and WiFi.
    I guess I mean to ask how do EV-DO and broadband speeds compare? I thought I've read that EV-DO is not as fast as, say, speeds gotten through a cable modem or a T1.
    As far as PDA internet usage goes you won't really see much of a difference between EV-DO and Wi-Fi Cable or faster. The problem here is the PDA itself is the bottlenect slowing things down. Blazer (the internet browser software for Treo) can only render pages so fast, mostly because the internet nowadays is designed to be read on modern desktop PCs with a broadband connection and a 2ghz+ processor. The Treo has the task of not only downloading the page, but then to reformat the page in a way that it will be readable on a 320x320 screen, including compressing images.

Where you would actually see a difference in speed would be between using your laptop at a WiFi hotspot as opposed to using your Treo700 as a modem for your laptop. In this case you'd see a very slight but possibly noticable speed difference, mostly in the response time between clicking a link and loading the page, as opposed to actually downloading images or other content, as the connection speeds are fairly similar.

Once I get my 700p I'll try playing my favorite online games on my laptop using the phone as a modem and let you know how it fares .
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    No, not necessarily. To use EVDO you need 2 things:

1. An EVDO capable phone and
    2. EVDO towers in your area.

If you don't have 2, 1 ain't gonna help ya.

If you wanna stay with T-Mobile, you kinda stuck cause they ain't offering a Treo. Your only option is an unlocked version which for some reason is still commanding exhorbitant price tags.

As a new customer you can get a Cingular Treo for $155 at Amazon including a free BT headset which makes the equivalent Treo cost $85. This will be familiar to you with the SIM cards and other features you are used to such as longer (50%) battery life, SIM swap capability and the like.

Sprint and Verizon Treos are $199 and $99 respectively....last I looked.

All those are way cheaper than what the 700p is going to go for out the door. With a list price of $679, you are gonna be talking $499 - $599.

The next GSM Treo won't hit the streets till 3rd quarter (September) at the earliest, maybe even November. My guess is it will be at least $100 more than the 700p...maybe even $200.

In your shoes, since I assume you chose GSM for a reason, I'd try and nail a 1 year contract with Cingular and then consider upgrading come May 2007 when the prices on "the Treo which is no longer codenamed Hollywood" is about 6 monhs old and prices have dropped.

Alternately, if I was in an EVDO area with good signal and wanted to go CDMA, I'd hold out for the SPrint 700p....if I wanted to save $500, didn't use huge amounts of data or didn't have EVDO in area, I'd do a Sprint 650 tho I'd try and find anotehr option tot he $100 premium at Amazon.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    No, not necessarily. To use EVDO you need 2 things:

1. An EVDO capable phone and
    2. EVDO towers in your area.
    Well, I live on a small island to the west of you called Manhattan . I'd hope that we'd have EVDO here, but then again, I also would have thought we'd be one of the first cities to have city-wide Wi-Fi.
    Very nicely put.
    Well, I live on a small island to the west of you called Manhattan . I'd hope that we'd have EVDO here, but then again, I also would have thought we'd be one of the first cities to have city-wide Wi-Fi.
    While answering your question, I was trying to give advice that worked for anyone reading the thread. .

But being in a major metro area should definitely help. The Sprint map shows coverage there but it also shows coverage in Shirley, which is where the cell phone shop I use is and "no go" in Shirley. I find that coverage maps leave a lot to be desired. Verizon had the best coverage in NYC metro area until they were ousted recently by Cingular

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hia#post967601

I'd walk into a brick and mortar which handles all carriers and hold it in my hand and see what I get in the places I frequent.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    You may want to take a look at the 8125 if you're a CDMA guy/gal on Cingular used to MS. There are several people on this forum who own it and recommend it.
    You might want to check with Sprint to see if you're covered with EVDO. If not, then you're out of luck. 700p will have no WiFi and if you don't have EVDO coverage, you're gonna get slow speeds. If you're set on a Palm device, and don't mind windows, you can look at the 700w from Verizon. *boo's from the crowd* It is wifi capable via palm SD wifi card and if you're covered, it as EVDO.

If you're not settled on Palm, you might also want to look at the PPC-6700 on Sprint with built in wifi and EVDO (again, if you're covered).

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    I can't imagine entering a new technological market for the first time, as a consumer, and not getting the most advanced unit out there.

700p.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    You may want to take a look at the 8125 if you're a CDMA guy/gal on Cingular used to MS. There are several people on this forum who own it and recommend it.
    Welcome to 8125 Central...where we bring you the lastest news and information about everyone's favorite Treo...the 8125!
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Welcome to 8125 Central...where we bring you the lastest news and information about everyone's favorite Treo...the 8125!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast