1.    #1  
    I recently received a replacement Prism from Handspring and transfered my files onto it via Hotsync. Oddly, the free memory on the new Prism was about 700K less than on the old Prism. A check of the databases (using Launch 'Em's Info gadget) showed several new Avantgo PDB files. My old Prism had files with names like AvGoDocsOA; the new one had both those and files with names like AvGoDocsMw.

To make a long story short, I finally found the solution to my problem via a Google search; it was posted by someone from Handango to another message board. The Avantgo server was listed twice in MobileLink so all my channels were being downloaded twice. I deleted the duplicate entry in MobileLink and deleted the database files with names ending in OA manually. I got my 700K back and Avantgo works fine. Hotsyncs are faster, too.

Does Handspring preload Avantgo on new Prisms? Otherwise I'm not sure how this could have happened. Anyway, I wanted to post my solution here since it took me a while to figure out what was going on and if it happens to anyone else I want them to find the answer here on Visorcentral.

Laura
    Hey Laura,

The mysterious "Doubling AvantGo" happens to me on my VisorDx. I found out that the problem was my company's firewall. I normally sync AvantGo at work through a firewall. Once (over the weekend) I decided to update my channels at home. For some reason, AvantGo set up a second server on MobileLink. I emailed AvantGo and they attributed the problem to the Firewall settings. They gave me a solution (which involved re-installing avantgo twice, at home and at work) but it didn't work. So now I only update at work.

I'm not sure how to solve the problem. Could this be the cause of yours?
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    yeah, the same problem here. I had bought another cradle and began to sync at home. Avantgo suddenly swelled from 6-700k to 1200k+. Just looked at the file list using 'Filez' and found duplicates with the suffix of either mw or mg. After deleting one set, I recovered the space!

Like Hoser I put it down to the second install of Avantgo on my home pc, though I'm not sure the firewall is to blame. Avantgo combines the desktop 'conduit' (Mobile Link) and the palm app (prc) in one install. In order to home-sync I had to install the whole package on my home pc. After doing this a second connection appeared in the MobileLink. Deleting the duplicate connection didn't delete the excess files, simply reduced sync times as avantgo no longer connected twice during each hot-sync!

It seems avantgo somehow codes the connection to create a unique set of db's. Further, each install 'codes' its own connection and doesn't look what already exists on the handheld....

Just my observations of my experiences, could be way off mark, though I now successfully sync both at home and through the office firewall
  4.    #4  
    My problem surfaced when I was loading up my replacement Prism at home so I'm sure it had nothing to do with a firewall. I've been Hotsyncing on both my personal laptop and on my desktop computer at work for ages and never had this problem before now.

It's funky.

Laura
    Yesterday, my Mobile Link was not working at all, so i removed AvantGo from VDX and reinstalled. Now, I too have duplicate files.

However, I seem to only have one connection listed in Mobile Link (I only Avantgo sync to one computer)

I assume if i just remove the files, they'll stay gone?
    IanP,

a quicker way to delete all the duplicate channels is to go into AvantGo and select 'Server Preferences' from the 'Options' menu. That will bring up a screen with your server settings. From there, tap the upside-down arrow next to the server name and you'll see the duplicated AvantGo. Select one of them then tap the menu again and select 'Delete Server'.

At the same time, delete the duplicated server from your MobileLink on your desktop. The only problem with doing this is accidently deleting the opposite servers (AvantGo I on the handheld, AvantGo II on the Desktop.) I'm pretty sure the 'Top' server on the handheld corresponds with the 'Top' server on the desktop.

wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    thanks for the tip Hoser, deleted the top server (AvantGo I) on the handheld, home desktop and office desktop and job done.

Sure is a safer method than using a file app! Being a relative newbie to palm, file apps bring out the same nervous twitch that the windows registry editor had when I was forced to migrate to a Windoze office...

[RANT]
    Any ideas why simply deleting a server on the desktop mobile link doesn't do the complete job. After all this is the palm we're talking about here. We wouldn't be happy deleting a duplicate contact in the palm desktop, only for remnants of it to remain on the handheld following a poor sync process would we???
    [/RANT]

answer to rant:

when you delete the duplicate on the desktop, it doesn't delete the duplicate on the visor because that 'second server' is technically nolonger being updated. Your visor sees the servers as completely different (although they're identical).

On the side: this is a good way to get around AvantGo's 2MB channel limit. Set up a second avantgo userid and then sync both users to your visor.

In the past i had a business/news avantgo userid and a fun/reference userid. Then i had both servers listed on my mobile link and synced to both. when i wanted fun/reference channels, i switched to that server on my visor. when i wanted news/business, i just switched to the other server! i had almost 4MB of avantgo channels!!

Then i found some cool apps that needed memory and decided to convert back to 1 avantgo server and less channels
    I just checked my AvantGo pref and found that

1. AvantGo takes up 1376K, though I've got a bunch of channels.

2. I deleted libmal.prc so I can't check my server prefs. I looked at the "choose server" under the "go" menu, and I only have one server to choose from.

Here are my questions:

1. I don't have any trouble downloading channels (it takes 2-5 minutes depending on the time of day), but do I need libmal to speed things up?

2. Is 1376K about right for 22 channels?

p
    first off, i'm surprised avantgo is working without libmal.prc on your visor. it needs this file.

second:

if you log onto avantgo.com and into your account. click on the 'edit channels' link at the top of your list of channels. from there you will see the size of each channel, and at the top it will list the current size of all your channels and the total possible max of all the channels. Then click on each individual channel and see what the size of that channel is set to. most channels are set close to what's needed, however, there will be some that are set at a much higher memory. for these, put in a new 'max channel size' that is 10-15kb more than what the channal size is currently. this should allow you to add more channels.

as for 1.3MB for 22 channels, wow! that's pretty good, i have 18 channels and my total size is around 1MB. hmmm..i guess 1.3MB sounds alright for 22 then.
    AvantGo uses some naming convention (AvGoDocsOA, AvGoDocsMW, AvGoDocsMG etc) to associate palm files and the channel that created them.

It also manages to delete the channel on the palm if the desktop channel has been deleted.

Can it not put two and two together, and delete both the channel and its associated files?

BTW I like the dual user/channel idea to bypass the 2Mb limit. Any ideas if AvantGo can run from the FlashModule then I can really rack up reading material for those long journeys!
    I deleted libmal months ago but haven't had any problems other than the downloads stalling once in awhile probably on AvantGo's (or my ISP's) end. If I end up having a problem, I'll just re-install AvantGo.