1.    #1  
    I tried out Causerie because I wanted to talk to my Google Talk buddies. But in the past four days the experience has been so bad that I'm not even using up the rest of my evaluation period; I'm switching back to Verichat.

The first day I tried it, it was unable to log in to my Yahoo! IM account. During the connection period (in which there was a green circle overlaid on top of the Yahoo! icon), I was unable to force it to disconnect and start over. Nor could I disconnect from my AIM or GTalk account, because there was no X button in the upper-right corner. I didn't want to be logged in, but I could not tell it that. It kept trying to log in to Yahoo! for several hours. While it was doing this, I couldn't use the 5-way nav keys to move around, because the focus kept getting reset. I couldn't use any of the menus because as soon as I opened the menus, they would disappear.

The next day, it was able to log in to all my IM accounts, so I finally got to play around with the menus and preferences. I enabled SMS mode and always-on.

In my first chat, I was unable to send a message to my friend. Pressing "enter" didn't do anything. Pressing the "send" button to the right of the text entry area didn't do anything. Was I using it wrong? Was the free trial version basically non-functional?

In my second chat, during which sending did work, I believe my friend went offline or something (I couldn't tell). The message I sent to him (typed in his window, while I was reading his last message to me) was instead sent to a different person I was chatting with at the same time. This bug could be catastrophic under the right circumstances.

Last night two people sent me IMs that I would never have found except that I went browsing through my logs to see what was in there. I received no notification, there was no open chat session, and I would not have even known that they said anything unless I happened to check my logs.

The night before that, someone sent me some IMs (even though I thought I was offline, because the last thing I had done was to "log out of all messengers"). They arrived via SMS, in several popup dialogs. But I needed to use my phone right then for something else, so I made all the popups go away so I could use my phone. I could never find these IMs again; they weren't in the log, and they weren't in an open chat session. Losing messages is embarrassing.

Now I want to stop using it, but I keep getting SMS notifications of incoming IMs, even though I disabled both SMS mode and always-on mode. I can't log out! I don't want to be online! I'm going to uninstall the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlau

The first day I tried it, it was unable to log in to my Yahoo! IM account. During the connection period (in which there was a green circle overlaid on top of the Yahoo! icon), I was unable to force it to disconnect and start over. Nor could I disconnect from my AIM or GTalk account, because there was no X button in the upper-right corner. I didn't want to be logged in, but I could not tell it that.
    They've had connection problems with Yahoo recently on the server side as I recall which was the cause, but yes, you're right, if it can't connect there's no way to tell it to stop trying...and has been brought up as an issue by a few folks over in the Mantra forums.

As for the SMS issues, can't comment as I don't use SMS mode, but it does sound like it still has some bugs that need to be worked out and I believe these are being discussed in the forum as well...so hopefully they will resolve them soon.

Also note that the latest version(s) of Causerie are betas, not official releases so some bugs should be expected.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    if you set prefs/misc "confirm before running Causerie in background" to checked, you can force Causerie to exit even if it's trying to connect by selecting another application (through the launcher) and responding in the negative to the pop-up asking if you wnat to run Causerie in the background.

This technique also works to allow you to completely quit the program if you notice no red 'X' in the upper right hand corner (a sign you aren't likely really online.)

There are still some significant issues with Causerie, but the increased stability using it has provided my treo 650, has lead me to use it over the V***chat program.
    tlau: We did have a problem with Y! but it was momentary and was brought up to normal. However, as your interest seems to be in Google Talk, it was running well for a long time.

I suspect your problems are related to 2 ways SMS mode. Is that what you have enabled?

What is the version of Causerie you are using?

In my first chat, I was unable to send a message to my friend. Pressing "enter" didn't do anything. Pressing the "send" button to the right of the text entry area didn't do anything. Was I using it wrong? Was the free trial version basically non-functional?
    Was this in background mode or foreground? Are you able to send SMS using other programs?

In my second chat, during which sending did work, I believe my friend went offline or something (I couldn't tell). The message I sent to him (typed in his window, while I was reading his last message to me) was instead sent to a different person I was chatting with at the same time. This bug could be catastrophic under the right circumstances.
    This is the first time we have ever come across such as bug. Are you sure you did not send it to your other buddy?

We could not have survived with such a major bug.

What is the version you are using and who is your carrier?