Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have absolutely no confirmation or source. This is just my speculation.

That said, why can't the E911 GPS service be used to provide an addon service to the customer? E911 uses cell tower triangulation to provide location services... With a broadband connection automatically downloading location specific maps would be a snap... (You wouldn't have to keep the entire map database on the device.)

Sprint would provide this as an addon subscription service..

The more I think about it the more sense it makes...

If they pull this off, it will be game over... The differentiator will be the EVDO supplied local maps... no other device can do this... Holy cow, I'm a genius...
    would be sweet, but im gonna go with doubt it
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    I have absolutely no confirmation or source. This is just my speculation.

That said, why can't the E911 GPS service be used to provide an addon service to the customer? E911 uses cell tower triangulation to provide location services... With a broadband connection automatically downloading location specific maps would be a snap... (You wouldn't have to keep the entire map database on the device.)

Sprint would provide this as an addon subscription service..

The more I think about it the more sense it makes...

If they pull this off, it will be game over... The differentiator will be the EVDO supplied local maps... no other device can do this... Holy cow, I'm a genius...
    and maybe monkeys will fly out of my ****, no offense Insertion.
    Uhhh, the 650 has GPS in it. that is for 911 location only not addressable for navigation purposes. So it is a moot point.
    no way
    and infra red capabilities on the camera
    While we're speculating, add EvDO rel. A, stronger IR, and upgradeability to ALPS.
    I want a Quantam Slipstream Drive in case I find myself stuck in the Delta Quadrant.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Shaken, not stirred.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I want a Quantam Slipstream Drive in case I find myself stuck in the Delta Quadrant.
    Won't that severly reduce the battery life
    Di-litium crystals. . . . . .
    I doubt it. From my understanding of the E911 system is that its a one way system in essence. Its more like a homing beacon, no active antenna just "talkable" data.

Although you do make a good point, if that were the case, a lot of units/handhelds could have been hacked to use to the E911 GPS service. (Bell mobility here in Canada has been using E911 tracking service i think for a bout 6 or 7 years now)...its just one of those safety features mandatory for a cell phone (trackable in the case of CDMA, and being able to dial 911 (and other Emergency numbers) without a SIM, service etc etc)
    E911 can only be used by the Government to track your movements... I mean, locate you in case of emergency.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    E911 can only be used by the Government to track your movements... I mean, locate you in case of emergency.
    Not at all true. Nextel actually offers a service where you can track locations. Example: I have a daughter and I give her a Nextel phone I can track her location via a website for a price per month. See the following clip from a San Jose Mercury News article...

Sprint's Family Locator service, which costs $9.99 a month, can determine where a child is through Global Positioning System technology, which requires a special microchip in the child's phone that can transmit his or her location to the service.

Family Locator allows parents to check their children's location on a map displayed on their own phones or on the Web. Both the parent and the child must consent to the service before it's activated.

If the phone does not have GPS, Family Locator can identify the child's location by measuring how close the phone is to nearby cellular towers. Accuracy ranges from within yards of the phone's location to a couple miles.

A central question is whether the service will spur useful conversation between parent and child about personal security or create family tensions over parents tracking or controlling their kids.

``This is designed for an open relationship between a parent and child,'' said Sprint spokeswoman Caroline Semerdjian. ``It cannot be used without the child's knowledge and consent. It's to be used as an aid, not a substitute for parental supervision.''
    If the "child" is indeed a child and is living under your roof and a parent is paying the monthly bill, why do you need the child's consent? Lame.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    If the "child" is indeed a child and is living under your roof and a parent is paying the monthly bill, why do you need the child's consent? Lame.
    Ditto. Seems a bit too PC
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R

My solution would be to simply tell this child of mine, sign the consent or no phone for you my little sweety.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    My solution would be to simply tell this child of mine, sign the consent or no phone for you my little sweety.
    Why should the child even know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Why should the child even know?

I would probably tell my sons (ages 14 & 10). They have been pretty good on the computer use with the internet. But soon we all will have chips implanted in us. Scary!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast