Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    I would probably tell my sons (ages 14 & 10). They have been pretty good on the computer use with the internet. But soon we all will have chips implanted in us. Scary!
    My question was, why should the child know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Why should the child even know?
    The kid will probably figure it out after the first time that he/she is nailed.

My kids are still young, but my style of parenting would be to tell them and hope it has a deterrent effect. Of course, I would need to require them to
    ALWAYS have the phone on, and on their person.
    Why should the child even know?

I would probably tell my sons (ages 14 & 10). They have been pretty good on the computer use with the internet. But soon we all will have chips implanted in us. Scary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    I have absolutely no confirmation or source. This is just my speculation.

That said, why can't the E911 GPS service be used to provide an addon service to the customer? E911 uses cell tower triangulation to provide location services... With a broadband connection automatically downloading location specific maps would be a snap... (You wouldn't have to keep the entire map database on the device.)

Sprint would provide this as an addon subscription service..

The more I think about it the more sense it makes...

If they pull this off, it will be game over... The differentiator will be the EVDO supplied local maps... no other device can do this... Holy cow, I'm a genius...

Worst speculation ever........

Al
    just the messenger here. I guess you may not want to let your wives know about this service...lol
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    I doubt it. From my understanding of the E911 system is that its a one way system in essence. Its more like a homing beacon, no active antenna just "talkable" data.

Although you do make a good point, if that were the case, a lot of units/handhelds could have been hacked to use to the E911 GPS service. (Bell mobility here in Canada has been using E911 tracking service i think for a bout 6 or 7 years now)...its just one of those safety features mandatory for a cell phone (trackable in the case of CDMA, and being able to dial 911 (and other Emergency numbers) without a SIM, service etc etc)
    Well, I doesn't matter if it is one way. I could have a data app on my Treo that sends Sprint a request to query my location over E911, and based on my current location send me the maps of where I am... It could be used to emulate the functionality of a more full featured GPS system.

The reason why the 650 doesn't have this, is that maps would take too long to download, and the memory on the 650 was too limited...

Even if they don't use E911, the chips have gotten cheap and small enough, that we could see full GPS in the 700P. http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/04/treo_with_built.html

I'm thinking the timing is right for a GPS Treo, and if they pull it off, this will be the killer app that will drive Sprint's Treo sales to the moon.

Cheers,
    Brandorr

P.S. - Why does everyone complain when people post speculation? Isn't this what this forum is for? (Future Treos)...
  7.    #27  
    Check this software out... It supports location specific downloads of localized telemetry and geographic information, to mobile handhelds based on GPS location data.

http://www.intergraph.com/iwtrimble/

http://www.intergraph.com/iwod/
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    just the messenger here. I guess you may not want to let your wives know about this service...lol
    I currently use online banking to track my wife. I can tell every store she goes into. Since every store always has something on sale she feels justified in buying it because it's, well, it's on sale... Of course with a better tracking system I could make some preemptive strikes thereby saving money. Nah, that'll never happen. I'd have to hack the bank and shut off her card...
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    I have a story sort of like that I can not share till 2009. Ask me about it the day after the next innaguration.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    My guess is that Sprint will offer such a service within the next year and it will work with the 650 as well as the two flavors of the 700. Figure $10/month The maps would probably come on cd and maybe the service would work with the current software like tomtom and mapopolis.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr

The reason why the 650 doesn't have this, is that maps would take too long to download, and the memory on the 650 was too limited...

)...
    I'm going to have to cry foul.............All the Sanyo's from the 7400 to the 9000 has had both garmin and telenav software and hardware available. The 650 has a lot more memory then these Sanyo models. The 7400, 5600 and the 8300 are NOT EVDO and rendered maps very quick and they were very accurate. I have owned all these models and speak from experience.

Of course with this route the maps aren't stored on a SD card but on Sprint's servers and of course no external receiver to worry about. For $10 a month it was worth it.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 05/08/2006 at 02:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I have a story sort of like that I can not share till 2009. Ask me about it the day after the next innaguration.
    Dang...that's one big cliffhanger!
    Alright for all you doubters out there that Sprint wont use location based services as add-ons in the future I have some stuff for you.

First I've gone to conferences on this stuff like the one below and all the phone companies are salivating to add this stuff. Why wouldn't you leverage your existing network to make more money?

http://www.iqpc.com/cgi-bin/template...6281&topic=233

Secondly, Sprint already announced they would!
    They announced a year ago how they were going to extend location based services to user accessible data services like local weather, movies, traffic information and more.

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=6420

P.S.
    About why the child has to agree to permissions on the child locator service... It's because it's just a download that works with 17 different models of phones on their network and they don't want legal trouble with stalking situations of an adult kind.
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/08/2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    Alright for all you doubters out there that Sprint wont use location based services as add-ons in the future I have some stuff for you.

First I've gone to conferences on this stuff like the one below and all the phone companies are salivating to add this stuff. Why wouldn't you leverage your existing network to make more money?

http://www.iqpc.com/cgi-bin/template...6281&topic=233

Secondly, Sprint already announced they would!
    They announced a year ago how they were going to extend location based services to user accessible data services like local weather, movies, traffic information and more.

http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=6420

P.S.
    About why the child has to agree to permissions on the child locator service... It's because it's just a download that works with 17 different models of phones on their network and they don't want legal trouble with stalking situations of an adult kind.
    So this isn't necessarily a 700P feature, but a Sprint add-on?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    You'd make a dang good shrink. Always asking questions and never providing anything of substance...
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Nice Avatar Haggar. Makes going to the john a more competitive sport
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    You'd make a dang good shrink. Always asking questions and never providing anything of substance...
    How does that make you feel?
    No.
    Think of it in these terms; Sprint (really all providers) don't care as much about what features are in the devices like the Treo because they let the manufactures and third party developers worry about that stuff. Sprint focuses their business on how they can bring you downloadable ringers of popular music hits that are of a low sound quality and last seconds but charge you 3 to 4 times more then the full length high quality mp3 version.

Once you understand this, you'll understand that the business model of what a provider once was has completely changed and we'll be more glued to our phones/PDA's then we ever were.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    No.
    Think of it in these terms; Sprint (really all providers) don't care as much about what features are in the devices like the Treo because they let the manufactures and third party developers worry about that stuff. Sprint focuses their business on how they can bring you downloadable ringers of popular music hits that are of a low sound quality and last seconds but charge you 3 to 4 times more then the full length high quality mp3 version.

Once you understand this, you'll understand that the business model of what a provider once was has completely changed and we'll be more glued to our phones/PDA's then we ever were.
    Thanks
    Thanks
    You're welcome.
    And happy flushing
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast