1.    #1  
    Short version:

Why does Noverra nWeb browser fail to connect to the Internet on my Treo 300, with these errors:

(i) Unable to open the
    connection.
    [OK]

(i) Net Lib Open Error code
    [OK]

What do those messages mean, and how can I fix it??

I've tried deleting it and then reinstalling it. No joy.

Dir Assist ("Directory Assistant") also fails. When I try to look up a phone listing, it immediately reports:

(X) Could not open NetLib!
    [OK]

What is "NetLib" (or "Net Lib"), anyhow, and why won't it open?

---------------------------------------------------
    Long version:

After I did some work on my Treo 300, I resynched it to restore everything from the PC desktop. Silly me, I wanted a phone number and the stupid Palm Desktop wouldn't start while the hotsync was in progress. I didn't want to wait a half hour for it, so I clicked "cancel," and waited about a minute, and finally hotsync stopped. Then I started Palm desktop, got my phone number, exited Palm desktop, and started hotsync again. The stupid buggy Palm software should have then restored my applications to the Treo, but instead it DELETED all my applications from the PC, while logging a slew of messages like this one:

-- The database for Novarra-0_att.PDB was deleted on the handheld. Moving the backup to the Archive folder.

Grrrr... No wonder Palm is losing the PDA wars to Microsoft. :-(

So I used QuickInstall in Palm Desktop to install the archive folder. That installed a lot of obsolete crud, but most of my programs then worked, but not nWeb. nWeb fails to connect, and displays the aforementioned error messages.

I deleted some of the obsolete crud, such as remnants of AvantGo, but that had no effect.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

-Dave
    dave283 at burtonsys dot com but please no spam
  2.    #2  
    Well, I still don't know what was wrong, but it is working, now,
    sorta. It isn't quite right, but it is usable. Here's what I did to
    make it work, more or less:

Prefs -> Network -> Connect

Then run nWeb, and notice that it now works.

But within nWeb [MenuButton] -> Options -> Disconnect doesn't
    actually disconnect from the Web. To disconnect, you must use
    Prefs -> Network -> Disconnect.

After connecting and then disconnecting once via Prefs -> Network,
    nWeb can now connect without using Prefs. But it still can't disconnect.
    Disconnecting within nWeb gives no error, and nWeb then seems to think
    it is disconnected, but the double-arrow indicator beside the signal
    strength indicator (in phone mode and at the PDA application launcher)
    shows that it is still connected, until I disconnect using Prefs -> Network.

Also, Dir Assist still doesn't work, though it doesn't give a "NetLib" error.
    Now it just fails with "Query Error / (X) Unexpected problem with the results response! [OK]"

Does anyone have any good ideas?

-Dave
    Last edited by ncdave; 05/07/2006 at 09:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    You probably already know what to do, but...

Try a soft-reset first, sometimes that clears up mysterious errors.

If that doesn't work. clear out your backup folder on your computer and hard reset. Re-install programs one at a time until your Palm stops working (try nweb first). Then you'll either know what caused the problem (or you will have cleared the problem in the process).
    The 'netlib' errors were probably because you weren't connected to the network. I.e., you had the wireless mode turned off.

As far as DA not working, you need to configure it so that it knows how to connect to the Internet. By default, it's looking for Blazer but since that won't work, you need to tell it to look for NWeb instead. The way that you do that is to go to the DA preference page and on the second line, where it says 'Or, Enter Creator ID', you put NWEB. It should then work fine.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoopy
    The 'netlib' errors were probably because you weren't connected to the network. I.e., you had the wireless mode turned off.
    If wireless mode is off, it actually says "Error Wireless Mode is off. Turn Wireless Mode on and try again. (0x7001)"
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoopy View Post
    As far as DA not working, you need to configure it so that it knows how to connect to the Internet. By default, it's looking for Blazer but since that won't work, you need to tell it to look for NWeb instead. The way that you do that is to go to the DA preference page and on the second line, where it says 'Or, Enter Creator ID', you put NWEB. It should then work fine.
    Thanks, Shmoopy! That makes sense.

However, it still doesn't work for me. When I try to do a "residential" look-up, and press "Search" then:

1) If it isn't already connected, there is a very brief display of "[Status] init net library" and then the "Service Connection Status" page comes up while it connects to the Internet. That all seems to work fine.

2) Then it shows "[Status] Requesting page."

3) Then it shows "[Status] getting page."

4) Then it shows "[Query Error] (X) Unexpected problem with the results response! [OK]"

I also tried "nweb" (lower-case) for the Creator ID, but that made no difference.

So I went to rlwhitt's site, and discovered that my Dir Assist was backlevel. I had version 3.1, and the current version is version 3.26. So I uninstalled the old one, and installed the new one. Now as soon as I try to start Dir Assist I get "[Fatal Alert] Fatal Exception [Reset]"

Any ideas?

I guess I'll post this question over on http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/rlwhi...ory-assistant/

-Dave