1.    #1  
    I've read through the forum, can't really find a discussion of best carrier for the 650. I understand the CDMA vs. GSM diff as it applies to using the phone overseas, are there any other differences in using these two phones? Stability, other programs, etc?

Seems like many people have the Sprint or Cingular, fewer have Verizon or T-Mo. I'm currently with Verizon, but willing to change (long customer service story). 650's seem to have different characteristics from different carriers. Any recommendations for or against companies with the 650? More conflicts, resets, branding issues? I know Verizon's data plans are way too expensive, but I get good coverage with my cell.

I have a cheapie work Cingular cell with crappy coverage for my area. Even when the 700p comes out with Sprint, I think I'm better off going with the 650 as my first Treo smartphone, since it has many bugs worked out and lots of users who know what they are doing, and are willing to share! That's why I decided against the 700w. But a 700p with Broadband would be tempting.
    The main factor in choosing a carrier should be coverage in your area and anyplace you want to travel to. If you plan to travel to Europe you probably will want a GSM phone. That's what they use in Europe and the ability to buy a local pre-paid SIM and save the roaming fees is a major plus. Here in northern New Jersey and New York City the king of coverage seems to be Verizon. They have the most towers and best signal strength, generally speaking. I had Verizon but went to T-Mobile, partly for the SIM card idea and partly for customer service, but my wife still has Verizon. She says she doesn't mind their customer service, but that's because I'm the one dealing with them all the time for her . My reception with TMO has been excellent, maybe 90% of the signal strength I'd get with Verizon. Not enough of a difference to alter call quallity or cause more dropped calls. Another factor in choosing a carrier is the cost of a data plan. That's where TMO really shines! The TZones plan for $5 per month gets you email and web browsing (if you enter the proxy server). Personally, I have been very happy with T-Mobile and while some folks scream that they suck for various reasons, I have yet to experience any of that.
    buy a GSM and sign a contract with Sprint. that way you'll get the best of both worlds. ;-)
    Treoing & Loving it
    Well, since the Cingular tower is eye-shot of my house, I have full strength all the time. Yes, i live far enough away from the tower to keep from glowing.
    It's really a process of elimination:
    1. Verizon ... great reputation for coverage, too expensive for me
    2. Cingular ... not so great, still too expensive
    3. Sprint ... not such great coverage or customer service, but reasonably priced service. Note that you can roam(for free) into Verizon's voice coverage, but not into their data coverage
    4. T-Mobile ... fair coverage, good customer service, reasonably priced service but they don't sell the Treo 650, so you pay a premium for an unsubsidized unlocked phone

And of course there's the GSM issue, where it's nice to have a GSM phone for overseas travel. Also GSM will let you receive an incoming call while using data service, while CDMA (or at least Sprint) won't.

I'm a former T-Mobile user who switched six months ago to Sprint. I'm pretty happy with my choice, despite what I've given up.
    I agree with rambo. Find out who has the best coverage in your area. In So. FL, I prefer T-Mo or Cingular because of the great coverage. I also like the fact I can change phones by swapping my SIM card without activating, extending my contract, etc.

I chose T-Mo over Cingular because of the shorter contract, better rate plan, and the dirt-cheap family messaging plan.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    There is no best as it's area dependent.....in NY / NJ / Conn Tristate area, ya can't avoid the Cingular commercials stating how independent studies confirm Cingular has fewest dropped calls. The study is detailed in another thread but it covered like 250 out of 290 metro areas. But what is fewest did they drop 5 in 10,000 and next closest dropped 6 ? or was it 5 and 100 ?

So I'd walk into your closest all carriers brick and mortar and hold each one in your hands and make calls, see what you get.

As for other differences:

-GSM has 50% longer battery life.
    -GSM let's you use a "junk phone", swapping SIM cards when you do something which might endanger your Treo like boating, fishing, construction, bike riding, etc.
    -GSM allows overseas travel.
    -CDMA allows you to use BT headset and and audio jack at same time.
    -GSM doesn't disconnect data connection when you take call.
    -On family plan you can rotate GSM SIM cards so you can get new Treo at full "new customer" discount and use all the rebates....buy new Treo for junior and then swap SIMS w/ him to get ya old number back.

ALso look at total cost of combined vocie and data plans....Verizon stands out as being very hi. Sprint's data plans ($14.95 Vision) are $5 less than Cingular's ($19.95 MediaNet), but when I goit my plan, Sprint's voice was $10 more than CNG's. Last I looked SPrint had matched CNG's price for othe rplans but didn't offer anything in my range so can't compare anymore.

Another big issue is who ya calling....with M2M being free.....if all ya friends are on Sprint and you do CNG, then you gonna pay more to call them.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    As all have said, coverage is the first and most important thing to consider. Then it is up to the individual, do you travel out of the country (GSM), price you are willing to pay, use of phone/internet. A big feature for me is the fact that I have 4 lines so I have set it up where every 4-6 months I am eligible for the full rebate upgrade, swap my SIM card into the latest toy and trickle down the phones through the family.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    I have 4 lines so I have set it up where every 4-6 months I am eligible for the full rebate upgrade, swap my SIM card into the latest toy and trickle down the phones through the family.
    I resemble that remark....though I plan to "recycle" about every 18 months.....tho I have no. 5 about 18 months from his 1st phone bringing me to 5.
    I've never had problems with Sprint. I thought I did for a while but I took my 650 in and they said it was the phone, swapped it out for a new one and it was working great. :P
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I resemble that remark....though I plan to "recycle" about every 18 months.....tho I have no. 5 about 18 months from his 1st phone bringing me to 5.
    I am eligible for upgrade on 2 lines now, last upgrade was a razr for my wife about 12 months ago. Have debated myself out of the 8125 for now, waiting too see if and when the 700P appears what the real specs are and when GSM available.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"