Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ever since I used the 1.17 firmware and installed the Fat32 driver via custom ROM, the phone is crazy fast. However I'm having some issues...

1. Even though I have used dashes in my contacts' phone numbers and the dashes are present when viewing the contact, when I am in the Contacts list view (i.e., select Contacts from the Phone app) and when I dial a number, there are no dashes.
    2. My phone randomly stops accepting calls; callers say that it goes straight to VM yet I have a signal and don't receive any calls. I never know when this is happening, so I have to randomly reset my phone or power-cycle the radio to be able to accept calls again.
    3. When scrolling in my Contacts list (i.e., select Contacts in the Phone app), it scrolls as fast as it should until I am viewing contacts that start with the letters F through L; then it scrolls very slowly as if some other application is lagging the phone. Once it gets past the L's, it starts scrolling normally again.
    4. When I have the sound on and I am in one part of the OS and use a hardware button to get to another part (i.e., in the Phone app and select Contacats to jump to the contact list or in Launcher and select on of my apps), I get several audible ticks instead of just one.
    5. Some of my contacts are uneditable. I can open the contact, make changes, click close and go back into the contact and the changes aren't there. The only way I can edit the contact is to create a new one, copy/paste the data over and delete the old one. If I use the Duplicate Contact function, the new one isn't editable either.

If anyone can help with these issues it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Your first question. My phone numbers exhibit the same behavior you have described. Feature, bug, what's the diff?
    2. I have calls roll to voice mail too. I think it has to do with a concurrent data connection -- I am browsing the web, for instance. In fact it just happened to me a few minutes ago. I had Treo in hand and was looking at TC when the voicemail alert came up.
    If you are actively using data, your incoming calls will go to voice mail
  5.    #5  
    I'm not sure that's correct for me because I use Cingular, which is GSM. With GSM, calls can come in when you are using the data connection; it just stops the data requests. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $GSM$ $connection$ $can$ &$quot$;$hijack$&$quot$; $the$ $GPRS$ $connection$. $From$ $what$ $I$ $understand$, $that$'$s$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $big$ $positives$ $to$ $using$ $a$ $GSM$ $provider$ $over$ $a$ $CDMA$/$PCS$ $provider$; $with$ $CDMA$/$PCS$ $phones$, $actively$ $using$ $data$ $will$ $block$ $GSM$ $data$ $connections$.

There are many applications out there that continuously use the data connection (I used 2, ChatterEmail and Verichat) that are designed to run all of the time, and I'm pretty sure people wouldn't use them if they blocked incoming calls.
    I have now had my first cup of coffee for the day and need to correct my earlier posts.

On the rollover to voicemail if using data question, I am T-Mobile thus have the supposedly better performance. Chatter has not (as far as I can tell) bumped incoming calls to voicemail. But it appears that web broweing does bump the calls to voicemail, at least in the instance I experienced this morning. (Browse TC or receive incoming sat phone call from Kenya, what's more important? Grrr. Stupid phone.)

On the second answer (dashes in the phone numbers disappear) the numbers in Contacts when you oen an individual contact are (123) 456-7890 in format and convert to dashes when viewing Contacts in the list mode.

International numbers are either entered as 011-country code-numbers or as +countrycode-numbers and these all glomp together and the dashes disappear in the contact list.

Incidentally I am sitting 2 feet away from a computer and could easily do this online but I would rather browse TC on my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaudio
    I'm not sure that's correct for me because I use Cingular, which is GSM. With GSM, calls can come in when you are using the data connection; it just stops the data requests. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $GSM$ $connection$ $can$ &$quot$;$hijack$&$quot$; $the$ $GPRS$ $connection$. $From$ $what$ $I$ $understand$, $that$'$s$ $one$ $of$ $the$ $big$ $positives$ $to$ $using$ $a$ $GSM$ $provider$ $over$ $a$ $CDMA$/$PCS$ $provider$; $with$ $CDMA$/$PCS$ $phones$, $actively$ $using$ $data$ $will$ $block$ $GSM$ $data$ $connections$.

There are many applications out there that continuously use the data connection (I used 2, ChatterEmail and Verichat) that are designed to run all of the time, and I'm pretty sure people wouldn't use them if they blocked incoming calls.
    There may be a difference with GSM (not sure) however tons of people use Chatter and Verichat with CDMA. When the arrows are grey you are connected just not actively sending/receiving and calls will come thru. When they are green you are actively sending/receiving, and calls will go to voicemail.
    During setup you selected a format to display your contact info. That's what you see, but the phone doesn't use dashes or dots when dialing, just the digits. You can change the way Contacts dispalys some of the info by using the Menu key while in Contacts, going to Options, then Preferences.
    I get calls going direct to voice mail sometimes as well. I believe it's because when the call comes in I may be in a dead zone or just getting a really weak signal. It could be as simple as walking into a building lobby or around a corner and the building blocks the signal for a second until I move farther along.
    As for not being able to edit the contact, it may be stored on your SIM. You need to go to SIM Book to modify anything stored there.
    I have a Sprint phone and the dashes in the Contacts view as you described disappeared when I deselected "North American Dialing" under the Options>Dial Preferences.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I also have #4 and it sounds like a double click. When I do a soft reset it temporarily stops doing this for a while. BTW-I have Cingular and have the update. What causes this-it drives me crazy?????
  11.    #11  
    Bubbatex - thanks! That worked!

sxtg - I used IMAP for ChatterEmail, so my data connection is constant. However, with the GSM phones, GSM will take precedence so whenever a call comes in, it stops whatever GPRS connection is going on and the call should come through. But, I think we're all going in the wrong direction on this because when my phone is "screwing up" and sending all calls to VM, it happens regardless of whether I'm doing anything on the GPRS connection or not. And, disconnecting and reconnecting (without stopping or starting any new apps) fixes the problem until it happens again, which is completely random.

rambo47 - thanks for the info. I checked and I have no contacts on my SIM.

Thanks to everyone!
  12.    #12  
    Well I seem to have the slow-scrolling contacts issue cleared up. I just deleted each one that was having the issue and then readded them. That's all good now. The problem I'm NOW having is that ever since using that custom ROM, I now can't edit my contacts on the phone. I open the contacts list, open a contact, click Edit, make the changes, and click Close and the changes aren't saved. It's wierd. I can edit and change them on the desktop and then sync, but I can't edit them on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmommy73
    I also have #4 and it sounds like a double click. When I do a soft reset it temporarily stops doing this for a while. BTW-I have Cingular and have the update. What causes this-it drives me crazy?????
    My Sprint phone does the same thing - sometimes. Do you use VolumeCare? I think that has something to do with it.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    My Sprint phone does the same thing - sometimes. Do you use VolumeCare? I think that has something to do with it.
    Please do not start a conversation like this about VolumeCare. It has never been reported to cause these kinds of problems. The only problem that VolumeCare used to be linked to is a conflict with other network related software. This problem showed up as a problem where the Treo would no longer be able to connect to the network. This problem was solved many releases ago.

I do stand behind my application 100% and take bug reports very seriously. When I get reports like this, it causes me to spend many hours researching the issue and trying out different fixes.

So while I endorce and promote everyone's right to post problems, please do not make posts where applications are targetted without first hand knowledge of a real problem.

Thanks for your understanding.

Jeff
    Jeff - sometimes one must ask additional people if they are experiencing a problem before one can understand if a problem needs to be reported - how does one really know what the "first hand" problem is w/o asking others? I would not want to throw something at you and make you research a bug w/o first figuring out if it is just my problem. The reason I mentioned this is that I had your product on my phone for two weeks - took it off for two weeks and then re-installed. I did not notice this problem during the two weeks I had VC off of my Treo. It is not a big issue, my Treo works, but it is a little annoying. I guess I'll take VC off again to test.

Don't worry, you will not hear about VC from me again. Thanks for your understanding.
    hey Bubba, I think the part that's upsetting to Jeff is your wording, "Do you use VolumeCare? I think that has something to do with it.". It seems like you know that VC is causing the prob... Not trying to flame ya or say you did something wrong, I can just understand where he's coming from...
    its ok, wording means everything and Jeff certainly has a right to jump when he feels he needs too.

Let's just say this old guy has learned a lesson......
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex
    Jeff - sometimes one must ask additional people if they are experiencing a problem before one can understand if a problem needs to be reported - how does one really know what the "first hand" problem is w/o asking others? I would not want to throw something at you and make you research a bug w/o first figuring out if it is just my problem. The reason I mentioned this is that I had your product on my phone for two weeks - took it off for two weeks and then re-installed. I did not notice this problem during the two weeks I had VC off of my Treo. It is not a big issue, my Treo works, but it is a little annoying. I guess I'll take VC off again to test.

Don't worry, you will not hear about VC from me again. Thanks for your understanding.
    Please don't take my post personally. I was simply trying to ask for facts to be used rather than general posts indicating fault with a product. Things like this can cause some false impressions that are not based on facts.

I can tell you that double keyclicks were definitely tied to the use of older versions of KeyCaps.

When you are not on a phone call, VolumeCare completely disables itself from doing any keyboard processing. So the chance that VolumeCare is playing a part in the particular problem is very slim. But having said that, VolumeCare does look at application executions. If you do find a correlation between VolumeCare and this click behavior, I will absolutely fix the cause if it is related to VolumeCare.

Jeff
    All - Jeff and I talked offline and I did a test on my 650 with his guidance. I removed an old program (freeware) and this "double-click" problem went away. It works smoothly now. Jeff was very gracious in offering to work with me on this and provided me with some good feedback.

I, as a somewhat noobie to the Treo, have learned a valuable lesson about saying things in public before having additional facts. My hat's off to you Jeff!
  20.    #20  
    What program did you remove? I get the double- and triple-clicks after about 3 days after a soft reset. Them I'm forced to reset my phone again and the double- and triple-clicks go away...for about 2 or 3 days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast