Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Ya know you're right they shouldn't have even bothered. They should've just kept the 650 on the shelfs and skipped a couple generations like the rest of us. Im sure a new wow product every 5 yrs is much better then an evolving product every 1-2 yrs.

When I bought my printer last week, I noticed the one I wanted had two model #'s available. I was so pissed at the obviously meager improvements that I bought the older one! HAHA!!! Bet they think twice before doing that again...
    See, what you're describing is really the norm for most electronic devices. I have no problem buying last year's model at a deep discount if the upgrades are small on the new model.

This is what should have happened on the treo line. The 700 should have been released a full year ago!! Not as an upgrade, but as a higher end phone. Then, you could choose to hold on to your 650 until you needed a new phone and buy at 750, 800 whatever later (which should've be released now).

The 700's upgrades are pitiful, yes, but that's all we got if you want to stay with palm. So, I fear that this may be the end of palm. The 700 is not the end-all-to-be-all and if Palm waits another 18 months before the next upgrade, Windows will take the lead with about 20 high end devices and an improved OS. Everyone would have converted already and nobody will care about the 800, 900, etc.
    Ya know you're right they shouldn't have even bothered. They should've just kept the 650 on the shelfs and skipped a couple generations like the rest of us. Im sure a new wow product every 5 yrs is much better then an evolving product every 1-2 yrs.

When I bought my printer last week, I noticed the one I wanted had two model #'s available. I was so pissed at the obviously meager improvements that I bought the older one! HAHA!!! Bet they think twice before doing that again...
    In the case of printers I think it is to push inventory. That is a business which has taken the razor and blade theory to a new level.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    See, what you're describing is really the norm for most electronic devices. I have no problem buying last year's model at a deep discount if the upgrades are small on the new model.

This is what should have happened on the treo line. The 700 should have been released a full year ago!! Not as an upgrade, but as a higher end phone. Then, you could choose to hold on to your 650 until you needed a new phone and buy at 750, 800 whatever later (which should've be released now).

The 700's upgrades are pitiful, yes, but that's all we got if you want to stay with palm. So, I fear that this may be the end of palm. The 700 is not the end-all-to-be-all and if Palm waits another 18 months before the next upgrade, Windows will take the lead with about 20 high end devices and an improved OS. Everyone would have converted already and nobody will care about the 800, 900, etc.
    Well said. If the Palm apologists would quit buying the minor upgrades, Palm would either give us a phone that's worthy of $679, or go out of business.
    Why do people always feel like palm is trying to persuade people to upgrade from their last model, and b*** that the upgrades are too minor for $600+ ?? How much do cars change each year, and they cost $30,000 + ? Do you think their is a Ford forum somewhere where the members are taking a stand and defiantly not going to purchase the new model this year in an attempt to teach Ford a lesson, for putting out such a minor upgrade when they just spent $30k less than 15 months ago?
    I agree!

However, somewhere between the two opinions being expressed lies the truth.

1. You do not need to by the next model if you don't want it.
    2. Palm (or the carriers want list) needs to bring more to the party.

#2 is an issue, I believe because the failure that was Cobalt put them behind the eight ball by 12 to 18 months. Palm/Linux is not ready yet and FrankenGarnet gets one more set of organs. The PalmOS will live or die on the basis of what the next Treo (with Palm/Linux) flies or dies.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/07/2006 at 04:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I agree!

However, somewhere between the two opinions being expressed lies the truth.

1. You do not need to by the next model if you don;t want it.
    2. Palm (or the carriers want list) needs to bring more to the party.

#2 is an issue, I believe because the failure that was Cobalt put them behind the eight ball by 12 to 18 months. Palm/Linux is not ready yet and FrankenGarnet gets one more set of organs. The PalmOS will live or die on the basis of what the next Treo (with Palm/Linux) flies or dies.

Cheers, Perry.
    Good points. But if I can't whine, what am I going to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Permission to whine on, my friend. . . . . . .

(Not that anyone needs my permission to do so.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    The PalmOS will live or die on the basis of what the next Treo (with Palm/Linux) flies or dies.
    As I said in another thread (sorry for the cross post)...I think the 700x generation will actually have a much larger impact on the live/die equasion for Palm. If history is any indication...we'll have another 18 months of the 700P before we see a Linux model...

Because the serious amount of innovation and product development (hardware and software) in the WM5 categories I think the 700p is either going to help maintain Palms current market share or kill it. I think that over the next 18 months a lot of consumers are going to compare the 700p to all of the choices in the WM5 arena and the 700p is going to come up "short" for many...

I think that pinning Palms future prospects on the NEXT generation of devices is perhaps a bit optimistic. The 700p MUST keep current Palm users happy AND generate lots of NEW Palm users if the Linux POS even has a shot...obviously the jury is still out on whether the 700p has the specs and price to do that given today's competitive market.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwo
    Permission to whine on, my friend. . . . . . .

(Not that anyone needs my permission to do so.)

Cheers, gtwo.
    OT question for Perry....maybe this has already been asked...

What exactly are you holding? A 700p perhaps?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    As I said in another thread (sorry for the cross post)...
    That's number two, I'm counting!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    That's number two, I'm counting!
    Careful...or I'll throw a little #2 on you!
    As I said in another thread (sorry for the cross post)...I think the 700x generation will actually have a much larger impact on the live/die equasion for Palm. If history is any indication...we'll have another 18 months of the 700P before we see a Linux model...

Because the serious amount of innovation and product development (hardware and software) in the WM5 categories I think the 700p is either going to help maintain Palms current market share or kill it. I think that over the next 18 months a lot of consumers are going to compare the 700p to all of the choices in the WM5 arena and the 700p is going to come up "short" for many...

I think that pinning Palms future prospects on the NEXT generation of devices is perhaps a bit optimistic. The 700p MUST keep current Palm users happy AND generate lots of NEW Palm users if the Linux POS even has a shot...obviously the jury is still out on whether the 700p has the specs and price to do that given today's competitive market.

Well put !!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Careful...or I'll throw a little #2 on you!
    That's crappy.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    That's crappy.
    F you!

(that's...FLUSH YOU)

I agree. And I, for one, am hoping the POS survives and thrives, if for no other reason than the fact I've been using it for nearly 10 years now. And I really like it.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

Whew...after re-reading this I was starting to get worried I'd get some smart-@ss response like "Ya Think?"....heh...sorry for all the "I thinks" -- at least I'm a thinker and not a "feeler"...or is that a "googler" nowadays?
    wow, some of you are drinking way too much coffee (or other products). it's great fun to read about how WM and POS will match up. Please don't get me wrong, I am GOING to buy 700p.

Some "history" I hope it wont repeat, but in the real world you never know.
    WP vs Word
    Lotus 123 vs Excel
    Netscape vs IE

as you know in some cases if M$ can't won they buy you out instead. sad, but it's the way the world is. Go Linux
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    It will be a nice upgrade from the Treo 600 for me!
    ^what he said.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    EVDO is not an minor upgrade if it is available in your area. I will appreciate the memory upgrade but I would have felt elated if Palm had given us 128 of memory. Also some have said that the 700 W sound quality is much better than of the treo 650. Hopefully they also strengthen the bluetooth radio.
    EVDO is a minor upgrade if you are say paying $7 a month on a pay as you go plan. Multimedia users and people with e-mail umbilical cords will no doubt see it as major upgrade....assuming it is available in their area.

There are hardware differences between the Sprint 650 and all others in the sound category. Verizon and Cingular's are 12db louder and I know I read somewhere (PC Rag ?) that the radio / sound on the Verizon 700w (excluding EVDO) was the same as the Verizon 650.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast