Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I just got a new Treo 650; also picked up a 512 card. Here's the problem - when I did my initial sync, I filled up 95% of the internal memory.

How do I move programs over? It seems if I copy on to the card, they remain on the palm as well. Do I then delete them?

Also, what can safely be used off the expansion card?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Also, I've got about 20 photos on my 650 that moved over with my upgrade from my Tungsten W. How do I get these to the expansion card?
    Welcome to TC!

If you haven't gotten your answers yet:

Programs: After you copy the programs over to your card, you can delete them by going into your menu, (the top left button with the "house" icon) select delete, scroll down and highlight then click on delete.

Pics: To move pics over; click or highlight pic. Click on top right button, select "copy to card."
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Note you need to delete them after copying them.. It doesn't have an option to move the file (wouldn't that be nice....)

There's also PowerRun and ZLauncher which let you easily move programs to the SD card, including associated databases, etc, so you can free up lots of ram.
    I urge you to try one of the above programs, PowerRun or ZLauncher. Having used the Treo series since the 300, I have also been a no launcher type of guy. However, upon purchasing the Treo 650, I found it an appealing adventure. The high resolution of the screen opens up to a less cluttered appearance some launchers provide due to resolution differences. Anyway, I gave ZLauncher a try and even though I am far from proficient with it, I now have around 11mb of so of free memory when it is in the launch mode. I am using 5.4 (also have 5.4.1 but did not feel comfy with it).

As a note, anything that must run automagically (looks for alarms, has to be "always on," et cetera, must remain in main memory in order to operate properly. Meaning programs like Chatter, CallFilter, LookAtMe, security programs for remotely locking the device, automated backup programs (BackupManager), and so forth, must be in main memory in order to work properly. Everything else may be moved to the card using ZLaunchers various options. Of course, playing with the various options may make things work or not work.

For instance, I use HanDBase extensively - hours in a day. It sits in a ZLauncher folder and is activated through a keystroke combination or through the ZLauncher quick list option. When it is started, ZLauncher copies it and its associated files to main memory and off we go. HanDBase has a form design utility that operates only when HanDBase is in main memory, so what I do is copy it to main memory, different from launching it into main memory. Copying it into main memory means it stays there and is available to interact with HanDBase. When I am done with the forms utility, I then delete only the PRC from main memory, 'cause the PRC is still in a ZLauncher folder waiting to be copied at another time to main memory.

The routines take a bit of time to get use to.
    Ben
    yeah, just copy to the card and erase what is in the treo internal memory, I try to keep at least 11m of memory and put as much as possible on the card. I sure wished the t650 had more internal memory at its disposal, which would be faster to access.
    I use ZLauncher... I have so many programs and DO NOT WORRY about memory... as MOST reside on my SD card.

I always make sure that when I take photos they save to my SD card.
    I've moved D2G to the SD card... unless something HAS to remain in RAM (IM s/w or snappermail, etc...) everything else is moved to my SD card.

Is 512MB enough for you? I have a 2GB SD card... I have movies (you must download TCPMP), mp3s, Word & Excel Docs, etc...

HTH
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I am using 5.4 (also have 5.4.1 but did not feel comfy with it).

Ben
    I've seen you say this twice, and I have no idea why... I upgrade every time there is a new release, and it usually only improves. Sometimes a new bug pops up, but...

5.4.1 works perfect for me, what problem did you have??
    I urge you to try one of the above programs, PowerRun or ZLauncher.
    What about Initiate?
    It's a feeling type of thing. I was having SERIOUS problems with HanDBase when 5.4.1 was released. In conversations with DDH Software, we covered background apps (ChatterEmail for instance) and tried/true launchers. From lots of playing, Chatter was causing a problem many moons ago that HanDBase just was not able to cope with. Those problems have been taken care of and I have no problems with any interaction between HanDBase and Chatter. I installed ZLauncher 5.4 and it ran ok. Along came 5.4.1 and the problems started up again and after 5.4 was reinstalled, the problem has since gone away. Anyway, in the meantime, I have also started using Preference Doctor and today started using it's Cure 3. The now random resets still occur, but much less frequently and I the number of times the preferences have been lost has been greatly reduced. So to say 5.4.1 is the problem, I cannot, as I have been looking at several solutions to a problem that has plagued me since I started using the Treo 650. To say that I am uncomfortable at this time to start using 5.4.1 again while still trying to work out an instability problem is showing concern but not raising a really large flag.

I have also installed Java and KMaps with them moved to the SD card and that is working good. Another problem I am having is a RSS feed utility.

The bottom line is that of all the applications I use, HanDBase and ChatterEmail are the most important and the introduction of another variable that I do not have the time to sit and really work at is being put off. When I do put 5.4.1 back on, I plan on putting it through its paces to see if I can make it crash routinely.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    I've seen you say this twice, and I have no idea why... I upgrade every time there is a new release, and it usually only improves. Sometimes a new bug pops up, but...

5.4.1 works perfect for me, what problem did you have??
    I tried Initiate when I had a Treo 600 and found the screen too busy. When I upgraded to the Sprint Treo 650, I was wandering through the forums here and at the other place and noticed the ZLauncher discussion and stopped in to look around. I tried it for 2 days, liked it and purchased the license. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    What about Initiate?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    For instance, I use HanDBase extensively - hours in a day. It sits in a ZLauncher folder and is activated through a keystroke combination or through the ZLauncher quick list option. When it is started, ZLauncher copies it and its associated files to main memory and off we go. HanDBase has a form design utility that operates only when HanDBase is in main memory, so what I do is copy it to main memory, different from launching it into main memory. Copying it into main memory means it stays there and is available to interact with HanDBase. When I am done with the forms utility, I then delete only the PRC from main memory, 'cause the PRC is still in a ZLauncher folder waiting to be copied at another time to main memory.

The routines take a bit of time to get use to.
    Ben
    Hi Ben, have you tried just moving the form design utility to Palm>Programs>ZLauncher>apps>Handbase folder so that it will be copied together with the Handbase program to your main memory when you launch Handbase and then go back to expansion card when you exit?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Yep, did that yesterday and palyed for about two hours and found that it became lost twice during the mad shuffle, so I will just copy it back and forth manually as needed. The forms utility is needed only to create the form, not to run it.

Also last night I re-installed ZLauncher 5.4.1 and spent an hour with it and HanDBase and did not get a crash, so today I'm out with 5.4.1.

I normally do not put so much on the Treo in one day, with Java, KMaps, Opera Mini and now ZLauncher 5.4.1, I hope for a quiet day.

Take care. Ben
    Another vote for Zlauncher as THE BEST solution to the Treo 650's paltry RAM. It ain't free, but it is definitely worth it to run 90% of your apps from the SD card. Actually, it temporarily moves the app from the SD to RAM, then moves it back to the SD when you exit.

Use the DataViz Tech Tool to move Documents to Go to the SD:
    http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13395
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo305
    Another vote for Zlauncher as THE BEST solution to the Treo 650's paltry RAM. It ain't free, but it is definitely worth it to run 90% of your apps from the SD card. Actually, it temporarily moves the app from the SD to RAM, then moves it back to the SD when you exit.
    Doesn't Zlauncher use a massive amount of RAM itself, over 1 MB?
    Simple math... I have 19M in /palm/applications/zlauncher/apps. ZLauncher with theme and icons takes about 1.2M I think. Obviously you're ahead with Zlauncher.
    ZLauncher has me sitting at about 11.5mb at this time. Before I was sitting at around 8 to 9mb. A 2 to 3 mb gain is worth it to me. It has also allowed me to use KMaps as an alternative to doing a TomTom like thing, saving me some money and from what I have seen, the resolution differences between the two programs is not significant. Oahu is not a large place and I always know where I am and where I want to go; sometimes getting there if I have not been in the area before can be a bit perplexing. There is a lot cramed on this island, 2,500 miles west of somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    Doesn't Zlauncher use a massive amount of RAM itself, over 1 MB?
    If you dont want the memory overhead of ZLauncher, their other program ZLink works great. I dumped PowerRun in favor of ZLink and have not looked back.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    1. Start w/ the 30 day rial oof PowerRun....it's the simlest of all the programs that manage apps on the SD card....if at the end of 2 or 3 weeks, you wanna try soemthing fancier, you can see if that tickles your fancy.....but in the emantime, you won;t be stuck trying to understand a myriad of features that will take you years to learn them all. I have 104 apps on my Treo w/ as much as 19 MB free.

2. Synching to your old TX user name file was a bad move.....despite what Palm says. I'd start over follwong directions here (3rd post):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108492