1.    #1  
    I just got a locked cingular treo 650, and try to find a way to unlock it. So far it seems that only paid service available except contacting cingular. I find that it's very interesting what types information or tools needed by vendors to unlock the phone:

1) case 1: only IMEI needed, just like cingular. I believe there is a hash function to calculate the unlock code. However, there may be only very few people know the hash function.

2) case 2: Venders require some software being installed on the computer, and a treo has to boot into bootloader mode to fetch some information, and then send over to a server to calucate the unlock code.

For case 2, I believe vendors are trying to get some information other than IMEI, since IMEI can be simply found out by "phone info" tab in phone application, why vendors went throught trouble to write software?

Here is my guess: the "unlock code" is actually stored IN the phone, either in a plain format, or an encrypted format.

Since mmastrac has created a great tool ROMTOOL, I bet is that the sim unlock can be achieved by using Romtool. Is it true? Can wizards give me some hints?
    Last edited by zhhbc; 05/05/2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correction
    Quote Originally Posted by zhhbc
    I just got a locked cingular treo 650, and try to find a way to unlock it. So far it seems that only paid service available except contacting cingular. I find that it's very interesting what types information or tools needed by vendors to unlock the phone:

1) case 1: only IMEI needed, just like cingular. I believe there is a hash function to calculate the unlock code. However, there may be only very few people know the hash function.

2) case 2: Venders require some software being installed on the computer, and a treo has to boot into bootloader mode to fetch some information, and then send over to a server to calucate the unlock code.

For case 2, I believe vendors are trying to get some information other than IMEI, since IMEI can be simply found out by "phone info" tab in phone application, why vendors went throught trouble to write software?

Here is my guess: the "unlock code" is actually stored IN the phone, either in a plain format, or an encrypted format.

Since mmastrac has created a great tool ROMTOOL, I bet is that the sim unlock can be achieved by using Romtool. Is it true? Can wizards give me some hints?
    Sim unlocking & subsidy unlocking are 2 different things. You mention sim unlock, but your description sounds more like subsidy unlocking. Fixing the tokens alone will not unlock the phone from Cingular. I believe the actual unlocking occurs in the radio & not the ROM.

mmastrac has developed a simple & cheap service to subsidy unlock your treo.
    http://650unlock.com/
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Sim unlocking & subsidy unlocking are 2 different things. You mention sim unlock, but your description sounds more like subsidy unlocking.
    Thanks for point out subsidy unlocking vs sim unlocking. I made a correction on the title.

Quote Originally Posted by CraniumFunk
    Fixing the tokens alone will not unlock the phone from Cingular. I believe the actual unlocking occurs in the radio & not the ROM.
    My point is that the treo 650 stores the unlock code rather the algorithm to generated unlock code, and it can be read out by ROMTOOL, no matter it's in sandisk DOC or some type of eeprom/flash in radio module.
    Just a note to confirm that http://650unlock.com/
    is really the best for the unlock.

I have tried other Ebay services (obviously didn't work) before http://650unlock.com/ . Their service was way beyond duty, and my phone is unlocked and now unbranded too.

Great group.
    So short of paying to get this done.. Is there a way to unlock the 650? (Without calling Cingular)
    Call Cingular and tell them you're leaving the country. They will give you an unlock code. I did this yesterday. The code they gave results in "sim unlock successful" so I thought it wouldn't be susbsidy but then I tried a T-Mobile sim card and it worked.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    what number you called in cingular ? I did not have any luck with my old account team