1.    #1  
    I have a Verizon 650 and cannot get any range out of a bluetooth headset. If I hold the pone up at chest height it works ok but crackles a little. If I put it on my belt clip on the same side of my body as the headset it cracks bad but I can hear the other person. If I put it on the other side of my body from my headset it does not work at all, it just crackles and we cannot hear each other. This does not seem right. I have been through 3 different 650's with Verizon and about 6 different headset (currently using the Plantronics 510) all with the same results. My Motorola V710 would give me 15-20 feet line of site without a single crack most of the time. Am I nuts of does the Verizonís 650 just have this limited a range?

Thanks for the help.

Chris
    Treo 700P VZN, ex-Treo 650 VZN owner, Outlook, Non-Exchange, Sony/Ericson HD610 BT headset, Motorola BT Carkit
    I find Sprint's 650 to be too touchy as well.
  3.    #3  
    In reading reviews online it seems Treo's are known to have 3-5 feet of Bluetooth range with headsets. Apparently the GSM ones are 8-10 feet. That sucks! I love the Treo.......except for the lack of range. Must be a packaging issue.......having to place the BT Radio in a none idea place because of the formfactor of the unit.
    Treo 700P VZN, ex-Treo 650 VZN owner, Outlook, Non-Exchange, Sony/Ericson HD610 BT headset, Motorola BT Carkit
    Same here - no range. Even if I put the phone on my lap while driving, it still crackels. Sprint 650 w/ Plantronics Voyager 510.

Could it be the Voyager has no range?
  5.    #5  
    I have tried about 10 different headsets, It is not the Voyager, it is the Treo. Of the ones I tried with my motorola the Voyager was a great headset so keep it.
    Very interesting ... any reports as to whether (temporarily) turning off a CDMA 650's CDMA radio improves its Bluetooth range?
    I think there must be other variables. I have a sprint 650 and I can get up and walk to the other side of a small room (15 feet or so) and its fine. I have a Moto 820.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It's not the phone, it's the headsets.. Using a Bluetooth dongle at home I can stream music to my phone all over my house and yard, yet my Cardo Scala 500 crackles a little bit, as people have mentioned. It does seem to do better if the phone is on the desk or something, I can walk around the room or go into an adjacent room with no problem.

I think the BT signal doesn't go through the body very well or something.. Or being on the body perhaps messes with the signal, not sure. That said, the phone is on me while streaming music around the house/yard without any issues..
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 and a Plantronics Voyager 510 and I can put the phone in my pocket on the opposite side as my headset and only get a little crackling. I can place the phone in the passenger seat of my car and have the headset on my right ear and it works fine also. But farther than that it won't work.
    I get 15 feet easy with my 510 and 650 I can leave my phone in the kitchen and go to the garage not problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    It's not the phone, it's the headsets.. Using a Bluetooth dongle at home I can stream music to my phone all over my house and yard, yet my Cardo Scala 500 crackles a little bit, as people have mentioned.
    That's because when streaming, you are receiving a transmission FROM the DONGLE, which are often of even a different "class" and have a signal well > 30 feet. Some even advertise > 100 feet. Using a headset means that you are transmitting from the TREO and that is the problem, not the headset. The problem is oviously an anemic signal from the Treo. Based either on bad location of the BT antenna, or by design because Palm had trouble with shielding issues concerning the other (GSM/CDMA) radio, and just weakened it.

My new Cingular 650 stinks. About 5 feet for clear operation. Anything, even a piece of paper or clothing and the static enters. Talking while it's in my holster is practically unbearable. Pathetic!

Returned to the store and got a new one that performs exactly the same, on three different heasets. About to get a refund from them or conflict will ensue. Five feet is not up to ANY bluetooth standard. My T637 on the exact headset was perfect at 20+ feet or on the other side of the body, with static up to 30+ feet.

The Treo 650 apparently is a bluetooth pretender. Does anyone else have a Cingular 650 with acceptable (normal) range?
    Last edited by LiveFaith; 06/29/2006 at 01:38 PM.
    Patrick Horne
    Thanks for the sparky reply, but I also hotsync from across the house as well as browse the net, like I am doing right now to reply to this.

Even streaming requires the Treo is sending data back, the streaming is not without ack's. In fact it is per-song streaming, I load a playlist and it requests them one at a time.
    I have the original palm headset, which doesnt have the greatest range... However I have the parrot 3400 in my car, and I can put the phone in the trunk and sounds good n' clear
    No real issues here. I've had a SE T637, V551, and now the Treo. The best was the V551, then the Treo, then the T637. The V551 had an excelent reception with the headsets I used with it - Jabra, Bluetrek, and Voyager 510.

The 637's reception was aweful - I couldn't have it in a pocket while walkng around - crackled all the time. This was with the Jabra, Bluetrek, and 510.

The V551 was excellent with the Voyager

The Treo is somewhere in the middle. I can't really walk with it in the pocket, so I can't really test that. There is a lot of WiFi interference, though. I only use the Treo with the 510.
    Obviously some of you stole my BT power and have it in your 650s!
    Patrick Horne