1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use the Treo 650's IR port to utilize remote lock/unlock, start, etc. that I use with my car alarm's remote control? 'Cuz that would kick ***.
    Does your car have an IR port? If not....i'm going out on a limb and saying you can't do this via IR. Just a guess.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    I use a remote control to do all these things with my car: lock/unlock, set alarm, etc. So, there must be an IR port to receive the beam from the remote control???
    Anyone know if I can use a car alarm to download my email?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The IR on the Treo is so weak, by the time you got in range, you may as well stick the damn key in the lock. And your alarm is probably using RF.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Anyone know if I can use a car alarm to download my email?
    Hey, can I use my IR port for Night Vision???

Thanks for the help, *******.
    I heard there's a way to hack it so it can see thru clothing like that Sony vid camera that Sony couldn't understand the big run on sales afte they stopped making it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I would like an IR port installed in my car, so anyone can use a universal remote on it.
    Car remotes work via RF, so would it be conceiveable that bluetooth could?
    Or is bluetooth in the wrong frequency range for common RF stuff?
    My Jeep has an IR for Remote lock and Unlock, I did use my Palm to do this but only when I had locked myself out. Like Insertion said you have to be right at the window for it to work. BTW I don;t know of any other cars that use(d) IR.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut
    My Jeep has an IR for Remote lock and Unlock, I did use my Palm to do this but only when I had locked myself out. Like Insertion said you have to be right at the window for it to work. BTW I don;t know of any other cars that use(d) IR.
    You must have an older Jeep. My 90 XJ has (or had) that same IR bubble. I've long since disabled it though.

Kirk can use a remote feature on his starship to control another ship.... Don't know if it was IR, RF, or subspace... but I wondered about the security of having all the codes for the other ship on his. Couldn't the other ship have done the same to him? Maybe he kept the codes in his Palm2400P?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Just use your Treo as a key chain....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    You could duct tape the remote fob to the back of the Treo.....
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Most car alarms use the RF frequencies of about 300-450Mhz. BlueTooth is RF at 2.4Ghz. hope this helps. God Bless
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You must have an older Jeep. My 90 XJ has (or had) that same IR bubble. I've long since disabled it though.
    95 GC, just turned 200k miles and still running good. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS