Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I like Walt. Like me, he cares more about real world usability and less about a feature list.

Oh, and dstrauss, in this case maybe you should take your own advice about researching the details. ACCESS is a Japanese company. Prior to being bought by ACCESS, PalmSource bought CMS which is a Chinese company. Though I question the ability of any foreign company to truly buy a company in a Communistic country. But that's a topic for another forum.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Face it we are the analysts. We are the disectors. We are NOT the deciders.
    You forgot the bashers.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Oh, and dstrauss, in this case maybe you should take your own advice about researching the details.
    Are you mad at dstrauss about something?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    FYI:

http://www.palmsource.com/press/2006...xplatform.html

About ACCESS Co., Ltd.
    ACCESS (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 4813) is a global provider of mobile content delivery and Internet access technologies to the beyond-PC market. Its NetFront™ browser, widely recognized as one of the most advanced Internet browsers in the world, is a cornerstone to the Company's vision of making the ubiquitous Internet a reality. NetFront technologies are delivering full Internet browsing and related services to next-generation mobile devices and consumer electronics ranging from digital TV to automobile telematics. NetFront browser recently surpassed 214 million deployments globally, representing 721 unique devices from global manufacturers (as of September 20, 2005).
    I like Walt. Like me, he cares more about real world usability and less about a feature list.

Oh, and dstrauss, in this case maybe you should take your own advice about researching the details. ACCESS is a Japanese company. Prior to being bought by ACCESS, PalmSource bought CMS which is a Chinese company. Though I question the ability of any foreign company to truly buy a company in a Communistic country. But that's a topic for another forum.
    My bad - and my apologies to Mr. Mossberg and you.

I still think he is loose on his reviews, particualrly where it is one of his pet companys (Palm, Apple). My Treo 650 (and many others) never worked as gloriously as he proclaimed in his famous preview several years ago.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    In order for Palm to survive, they must embrace Linux and do it fast. The current platform is maxed out and should have been dead two years ago.

Agreed !!

(And get me my Treo 900 (Palm/Linux) sooner than 2008 !!)
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    And get me my Treo 900 (Palm/Linux) sooner than 2008 !!
    From your lips to God's ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Show us the proof. Scan it in and attach it. Otherwise you have no proof and we toss it in the we don't know that heap of unfounded rumors.
    Follow the link in message no 3 for the proof.

" Walt Mossberg confirms new Palm OS Treo

Q: "Do you think the Treo 650 will be the last true Palm OS-based mobile phone?"

A:" No. A new, improved Treo that uses the Palm operating system will be available soon. Palm (the hardware company that makes the Treo and other products) has said it isn't abandoning the Palm OS (which is made by a separate firm) despite the fact that Palm now makes a Treo model that runs on the Windows Mobile operating system from Microsoft.

However, there is reason for Palm OS fans to be concerned. Although I regard Palm's user interface as superior to Microsoft's, the Palm system is relatively old and limited under the covers, compared with Windows Mobile. Its maker, PalmSource, came up with a prototype of a new version, but never completed it. Now, PalmSource has been acquired by a Japanese company, Access, that is said to be working on yet another new version of the Palm OS, based on Linux. Palm is optimistic about this project, but I haven't seen it, and have no idea when it will appear." Via WSJ."
    Hey, it might work gloriously if used as Palm tests it, without ANY third party software.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Follow the link in message no 3 for the proof.
    posted on last page...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    His Treo 700w review even said he preferred his 650 to the 700w.
    That's far from unusual....just about every other Treo 700w review I have ever read....Business Week, PC mag, etc....said the same thing

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...307_340265.htm
    I'm typing on my Treo, so I'm necessarily short. I meant no special offense to dstrauss. And I agree that Handspring has always been one of Walt's pet companies, so he's always been a bit more forgiving of their flaws than he should be.

I'll note also that Walt's comments here could also be explained as him merely summarizing the official and unofficial info that we all here already know, and might not indicate that he has any special inide knowledge.

Still, I fully expect to see the Sprint 700p within a month or so.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I'm typing on my Treo, so I'm necessarily short. I meant no special offense to dstrauss. And I agree that Handspring has always been one of Walt's pet companies, so he's always been a bit more forgiving of their flaws than he should be.

I'll note also that Walt's comments here could also be explained as him merely summarizing the official and unofficial info that we all here already know, and might not indicate that he has any special inide knowledge.

Still, I fully expect to see the Sprint 700p within a month or so.
    No offense taken. As I said in my original post, although not conceding my Starbuck's card to Perry yet, Mossberg speaking to the issue is more authoritative than most sources quoted herein, if for not other reason than even the Palm Police wouldn't dare mess with him.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    No offense taken. As I said in my original post, although not conceding my Starbuck's card to Perry yet, Mossberg speaking to the issue is more authoritative than most sources quoted herein, if for not other reason than even the Palm Police wouldn't dare mess with him.
    Mossberg and Ed Rollins, brothers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    lol
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I still think he is loose on his reviews, particualrly where it is one of his pet companys (Palm, Apple). My Treo 650 (and many others) never worked as gloriously as he proclaimed in his famous preview several years ago.
    I tend to agree with ya d...while I don't doubt Mossberg's stature in the technology press, whenever I read one of his reviews I can't help but feel like he's glossing over things. He seems far less critical of Apple and Palm than anything related to Windows or the PC world.

Heh...he likes things "simple" -- and I often feel like his reviews are just as simplistic as the technology he prefers. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation...
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I tend to agree with ya d...while I don't doubt Mossberg's stature in the technology press, whenever I read one of his reviews I can't help but feel like he's glossing over things. He seems far less critical of Apple and Palm than anything related to Windows or the PC world.

Heh...he likes things "simple" -- and I often feel like his reviews are just as simplistic as the technology he prefers. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation...
    Do you remember all the issues the 650 had when it was released? Anyone who gave that a thumbs-up was either a glutton for punishment or a shill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal
    Do you remember all the issues the 650 had when it was released? Anyone who gave that a thumbs-up was either a glutton for punishment or a shill.
    Unless, perhaps, you were using it as is, out of the box. Again, back to the simplicity factor.
    You're right about the issues with the 650 when it was first released. There were tons of issues. I remember getting a free 128 mb sd card from Palm that they were offering all Treo 650 owners for free, that only lasted until they fixed the memory issue. We got screwed on the available memory of the 650, especially coming from the 600.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Unless, perhaps, you were using it as is, out of the box. Again, back to the simplicity factor.
    Good point, but who uses it without adding anything? Especially when your putting your reputation on the line as a reviewer.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast