Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Note that in today's WSJ (I read it in paper, no link) Walter Mossberg commented that there will be a new Palm Treo "very shortly."

He may be an annoying and rude old codger, but everyone runs to him to get press time with the WSJ's extremely affluent (except for me) readership. And he will basically blow off anyone who comes to him with something that's not interesting to his readership "right now." Nor would anyone chance hanging him out to dry.

So clearly he's seen the Palm Treo and is aware of the upcoming release dates, and those dates are very close. Within two weeks for the annoucement I'd say.
    <<the two words analyst and journalism are oxymorons.>>

Hey! I do Radio reports and resent being called an Oxy! Though some say I should get an analyst... others say I'm just anal!

THERE IS A 700P... there IS!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGavilan
    Note that in today's WSJ (I read it in paper, no link) Walter Mossberg commented that there will be a new Palm Treo "very shortly."

He may be an annoying and rude old codger, but everyone runs to him to get press time with the WSJ's extremely affluent (except for me) readership. And he will basically blow off anyone who comes to him with something that's not interesting to his readership "right now." Nor would anyone chance hanging him out to dry.

So clearly he's seen the Palm Treo and is aware of the upcoming release dates, and those dates are very close. Within two weeks for the annoucement I'd say.
    Show us the proof. Scan it in and attach it. Otherwise you have no proof and we toss it in the we don't know that heap of unfounded rumors.
    He has proof. You don't.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Show us the proof. Scan it in and attach it. Otherwise you have no proof and we toss it in the we don't know that heap of unfounded rumors.
    Here is the article Gharrod
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Give it up, man! Here's the quote (from yesterday's Mossberg Mailbox, emphasis added by me):

"Q: Do you think the Treo 650 will be the last true Palm OS-based mobile phone?

A: No. A new, improved Treo that uses the Palm operating system will be available soon. Palm (the hardware company that makes the Treo and other products) has said it isn't abandoning the Palm OS (which is made by a separate firm) despite the fact that Palm now makes a Treo model that runs on the Windows Mobile operating system from Microsoft.

However, there is reason for Palm OS fans to be concerned. Although I regard Palm's user interface as superior to Microsoft's, the Palm system is relatively old and limited under the covers, compared with Windows Mobile. Its maker, PalmSource, came up with a prototype of a new version, but never completed it. Now, PalmSource has been acquired by a Japanese company, Access, that is said to be working on yet another new version of the Palm OS, based on Linux. Palm is optimistic about this project, but I haven't seen it, and have no idea when it will appear."
    Hmmmm.... isn't Access a Chinese company? Walt's never real good about details (or the quality and thoroughness of his reviews), but ambtreo is right, I've not seen a manufacturer hang him out to dry because of the access to the WSJ reader database - it's better than the cost of the ad they'd run there.

Down Perry, I'm not conceding the Sprint 700w will see the light of day before the 700p, but Mossberg hasn't been wrong about the existence of devices as far as I can remember.

gahrrod - yes, Mossberg does have an over-inflated ego and sense of self-worth, but he got it the old fashion way, "he eaaaarrnned it".
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Yea, Walt Mossberg is loved by Apple and Palm. He is a big fan of both. He's legit. He knows the Treo 700p is coming.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Hmmmm.... isn't Access a Chinese company? Walt's never real good about details (or the quality and thoroughness of his reviews), but ambtreo is right, I've not seen a manufacturer hang him out to dry because of the access to the WSJ reader database - it's better than the cost of the ad they'd run there.

Down Perry, I'm not conceding the Sprint 700w will see the light of day before the 700p, but Mossberg hasn't been wrong about the existence of devices as far as I can remember.

gahrrod - yes, Mossberg does have an over-inflated ego and sense of self-worth, but he got it the old fashion way, "he eaaaarrnned it".
    Hi D!

It appears the 700P is beginning to see the light of day. What is interesting -- is the lack of anyone seeing a FCC filing yet -- unless it is being "grandfathered" under the 700W. It will be curious to see how that plays out this time.

Our bet is on which would come first on Sprint -- If the P does come first -- I would consider any announcement on the 700W for Sprint during May/June (even if it is for later than that availability) a tie. The reverse, I would not consider a tie.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Yea, Walt Mossberg is loved by Apple and Palm. He is a big fan of both.
    He's legit.
    Two entirely different statements
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    Here is the article Gharrod
    BTW - Thanks ambtreo for the PDF!!
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    He's legit.
    Jimmy says it, must be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi D!

It appears the 700P is beginning to see the light of day. What is interesting -- is the lack of anyone seeing a FCC filing ye
    see my posts on this...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=871

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=862

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...13&postcount=3

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...63&postcount=2

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=230

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=156

as you can see the fcc doesn't always release info ahead of time. this has been the case for awhile.
    Yes, thank you for posting the pdf. Walt Mossberg usually has a review the day after something is announced. He's very into Apple and Palm. His Treo 700w review even said he preferred his 650 to the 700w.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie Geddes
    Hi D!

It appears the 700P is beginning to see the light of day. What is interesting -- is the lack of anyone seeing a FCC filing yet -- unless it is being "grandfathered" under the 700W. It will be curious to see how that plays out this time.

Our bet is on which would come first on Sprint -- If the P does come first -- I would consider any announcement on the 700W for Sprint during May/June (even if it is for later than that availability) a tie. The reverse, I would not consider a tie.

Cheers, Perry.
    Naw, I ain't going to run and hide - if the "P" comes out first, you win, regardless of a "W" announcement in the same time frame. Deals a deal. If my 700w doesn't see the light of day first, in the flesh, I lose.
    Naw, I ain't going to run and hide - if the "P" comes out first, you win, regardless of a "W" announcement in the same time frame. Deals a deal. If my 700w doesn't see the light of day first, in the flesh, I lose.
    What will be real interesting is to watch is the Holy War start between WM5 and PalmOS on the same device, with one manufacturer being on both sides of the equation. That will even be more fun than this Endless Silly Season.

Of course -- a 700P has not been announced yet -- so that war will have to wait for awhile or (in Samsung's case) forever.

Cheers, Perry.
    What will be real interesting is to watch is the Holy War start between WM5 and PalmOS on the same device, with one manufacturer being on both sides of the equation. That will even be more fun than this Endless Silly Season.

Of course -- a 700P has not been announced yet -- so that war will have to wait for awhile or (in Samsung's case) forever.

Cheers, Perry.
    This is one of your best comments ever. Everyone knows (at least I hope so) that despite being in the WM5 8125 camp, I've been a life-long (PDA lives) Palm addict, and I just wish they'd offer what WM5 devices do. So, if Palm can push the 700p out the door, and sound quality is truly there, it will be interesting to see the anger in BGates eyes as guys like Mossberg trash the 700w in favor of the 700p, particularly on the same carrier.

However, for that to happen, Palm is going to have to catch up with the pack - EVDO, WiFi, memory, stability, and VOICE/SOUND quality. 53 days on the 8125 now, and not one reset, shut-down, or "what did you say" conversation.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    This is one of your best comments ever. Everyone knows (at least I hope so) that despite being in the WM5 8125 camp, I've been a life-long (PDA lives) Palm addict, and I just wish they'd offer what WM5 devices do. So, if Palm can push the 700p out the door, and sound quality is truly there, it will be interesting to see the anger in BGates eyes as guys like Mossberg trash the 700w in favor of the 700p, particularly on the same carrier.

However, for that to happen, Palm is going to have to catch up with the pack - EVDO, WiFi, memory, stability, and VOICE/SOUND quality. 53 days on the 8125 now, and not one reset, shut-down, or "what did you say" conversation.
    In order for Palm to survive, they must embrace Linux and do it fast. The current platform is maxed out and should have been dead two years ago.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast